Harvard/Hebron area

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Harvard/Hebron area

Postby ReaperWaterFowl » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:04 pm

*Disclaimer: I don't want your GPS coordinates for honey holes or names of people who let you hunt their land* Felt the need to say this after viewing heated topics going wrong.

I have access to private corn fields about 1.5 miles south of Hebron, IL. I hunted it a bit last year after the lakes froze over and pounded the pavement around the area a few times looking for the geese in fields and any holding ponds. Not a lot of luck. This year we finally hunted it today for an afternoon hunt after hitting the lake for the AM. The corn was just harvested otherwise we'd have gone out awhile ago. So far no luck, nothing in site. I have seen workable geese over the fields before a few times and see lots of birds just a bit out of reach for my calling last year though. Anyway, here is my questions. Do you, or anyone you know, hunt that area? If so, do you do well? In general any information you are willing to share about that area or nearby would be appreciated greatly. Thanks and good luck.
BOW-LOWS PRODUCTIONS PROSTAFF
ReaperWaterFowl
hunter

Re: Harvard/Hebron area

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Is Hebron a border town? I don't know of anyone on here that is quite that far north (maybe jaysweet).

You may want to post in the Wisconsin forum as well. Could get lucky...

Good luck!
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:53 am

Heard NE Rockford was stacking geese up and they were stopping somewhere around there. Not sure what luck people have been having. There was another IL/WI member in another thread recently. I know you already hunt the Chain or I would say head to the West side of it.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:44 am

I grew up south of there, I know where you're talking about. There are a ton of birds out there. I see them flying all day. The tough part is, if geese aren't using the field you have permission on, it's almost futile to try and decoy them in. There is so much food out there. You never know, a local fella might get permission to hunt a field. Gotta knock on the doors to find out. Another thing you might try, and it won't help you this year, but the McHenry county conservation dist. has a waterfowl program. Start looking for the info for next year now. Lotta hoops to jump through.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Goosehunter85 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 pm

I have quite a few places to hunt in that area as well. If they are not going to your field only thing to do is try and cut them off. A lot of decoys and a good hide always works for me in that area. So far this haven't been able to get out much but me and friends have killed somewhere around 30 to 35 geese and a lot of woodies. Send me a pm maybe help you out more.
Goosehunter85
hunter

Postby boder » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I agree with the others. If they are not using your fields it is gonna b tough. A lot of the geese are not flying far to get to the fields either. I suspect later on in the season they will b flying farther for food.
boder
hunter

Postby Dukplukr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:31 pm

I hunt that area a lot, private fields as well as the McHenry County Conservation Districts waterfowl program. Birds are in the area but very few migratory, a lot of local birds and way way way to much available food. First week of season they were suckers, not anymore. I suggest big spreads, flagging and decent calling. By big spread I'm putting out for just me 50 full bodies, 80 shells and 2 dozen socks plus my field mallards. Last weekends snap brought a few new birds into the area but not all that many, same with ducks. If you have been scouting and seeing birds then I am sure you are seeing the same thing I am, large groups 15-20 birds few or no singles/pairs. I think your best bet for this area is numbers, whatever you think is enough, double it. That and pray the cheddar heads get socked with snow.
Dukplukr
hunter

Postby ReaperWaterFowl » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate the help. I think the verdict here is, lots of smart geese around that will be hard to get down. Maybe even impossible, but as we all know, a day afield is better that working. Thanks boys.
BOW-LOWS PRODUCTIONS PROSTAFF
ReaperWaterFowl
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting