Deer Season vs. Duck Season

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Deer Season vs. Duck Season

Postby luie b » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:38 pm

I was raised a deer hunter but got into waterfowl in High School so I still love my deer hunting. Looked at the forecast for the weekend and there's supposed to be a good cold front come through Saturday night... :no: I bowhunt whenever the ducks aren't flying good and hunt opening weekend of gun season no matter what every year. Who's gonna be in the deer stand instead of the blind this weekend? I know a lot of you guys only duck hunt but surely some of your are gonna deer hunt? :lol3: I'm hoping I can kill my freezer deer and maybe a buck before the end of the weekend so I can get out and duck hunt! I bowhunted hard last weekend and arrowed a good 10 point but lost the deer and saw a lot of other good bucks around. Hopefully I fill my tags early! It's hard being a duck hunter and deer hunter at the same time!
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Re: Deer Season vs. Duck Season

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Good topic for discussion. Those that know me know where I stand on this. My opinion and solely mine is that you can't be both. Don't care what others say. You can't. Does an electrician call themselves a plumber? Or an artist a doctor? I'm sure hunters physically hunt both during the same season. A passion and desire drives the hunt. I love fowlin' and can't imagine hunting anything else. Have to put the time in in order to be labeled any kind of hunter. Can't shoot ducks from the couch. Not sure I can call myself a crappie fisherman since I caught one crappie this past year while fishing for LG every outing.

All those deer hunters this weekend spend all the time in the tree stand or stand ups. Less pressure on the birds.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby gooseslayingfool » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:27 am

Duck season still a week away so ill goat hunt.
gooseslayingfool
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:35 am

Prime week of the rut.. And opening weekend of ducks.. Talk about a tough decision!! I'll probably be in the blind in the morning and the stand by night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:38 am

Im with you luie, I'll be out hunting that 30 pt. buck. :sniper: Good luck to ya. :thumbsup:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:05 am

I bow hunt whenever the duck hunting isn't looking too hot. Not my 1st choice, and I do it just because I have a decent spot to go. Now don't get mad, this is just my opinion.. I think these guys that go out and chase the "throphy" deer with a shotgun that will sling a slug over 200 yards is not really hunting. Other than making a good shot from a long distance, who cares. Go to the range to show off your shooting skills. You didn't really do anything to get the deer very close to you. Now, if you are going out to put meat in the freezer to feed your family, that's a different story. You shoot a big deer with a bow, now that's an accomplishment!! Just my opinion. I save my shotgun for shooting birds.. Good luck to the deer hunters, and don;t fall out of any trees.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:18 am

Deer are too easy to get with the truck on the way to or from the blind to waste time sitting in a tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:48 am

Down here in western Illinois deer hunting is such a big thing that you'll rarely find s hunter that doesn't hunt deer, too. I bow hunt whenever the ducks aren't flying and it seems to work for me.
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 am

gearhead80 wrote:I bow hunt whenever the duck hunting isn't looking too hot. Not my 1st choice, and I do it just because I have a decent spot to go. Now don't get mad, this is just my opinion.. I think these guys that go out and chase the "throphy" deer with a shotgun that will sling a slug over 200 yards is not really hunting. Other than making a good shot from a long distance, who cares. Go to the range to show off your shooting skills. You didn't really do anything to get the deer very close to you. Now, if you are going out to put meat in the freezer to feed your family, that's a different story. You shoot a big deer with a bow, now that's an accomplishment!! Just my opinion. I save my shotgun for shooting birds.. Good luck to the deer hunters, and don;t fall out of any trees.

I dont mean that Im trophy hunting. Its just a saying @ deercamp. Around here, if its brown, its down. Venison for the freezer. Deer hunting with a shotgun isnt really hunting? Come on man. What kinda slug goes over 200 yards? :beer:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 am

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2010/09/23 ... rt_201007/

Just my opinion, and did you read the whole thing or just the bad stuff?? :lol3:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:38 am

I started out an upland and duck hunter, over 55 yrs. ago. A few trips to southern Illinois in my youth (geese were rarely seen outside the SIQZ), turned me into a goose hunter, too.
I tried deer hunting a little, when drives were the method, and decided that if I could survive Viet Nam I damned sure wasn't going to give some idiot deer hunter the chance to shoot me. Then, about 20 years ago, with duck and upland hunting fading fast in this area (plus, I got access to a nice deer woods), I took up deer hunting...only stand hunting this time-both shotgun and archery.
IMHO, I think deer hunting is as boring as it gets. Sitting quietly for hours and HOURS, just isn't my cup of tea. Sitting in a tree or sloooowly stalking, is total BOREDOM. Watching the woods come alive in the morning, especially during archer season, is the best part of deer hunting. Whether the deer is 100 yds or 12, whether it has headgear or not, they just don't excite me that much. Jumping out of the ditch in front of me, when I'm driving 65-THAT is an adrenalin rush.
I would trade every deer in Illinois if we could go back to the late `50's:
Upland game was plentiful. The opening day of upland was a big deal. Now, I rarely see anyone hunting pheasant or quail.
Access for hunting was a matter of asking. Leasing, except for OUTSTANDING duck or goose areas, was unimaginable. Now, everywhere you go, deer leasing is locking out the average Joe.
Seeing a goose outside of the Southern Illinois Quota Zone (below Rt 13) was rare. There was something magical about southern Illinois goose hunting. What happened in so. IL., stayed in so. IL.
There were enough ducks along the river to keep you going.
Seeing a deer would make the local papers.
Turkeys didn't exist in Illinois, although there was talk of MAYBE reintroducing them in the Shawnee.
Yep, give me a duck blind with friends, my dog, breakfast and BS, or tromping field edges with friends and dog for quail or pheasant. Now that is fun. You can keep the deer.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:04 am

gearhead80 wrote:http://www.shootingtimes.com/2010/09/23/longgun_reviews_st_spadvart_201007/

Just my opinion, and did you read the whole thing or just the bad stuff?? :lol3:

I didnt want ya to think I was just trophy hunting.Thats a heckuva gun and price. Had no idea, my bad. Ive got a bow, havent bowhunted in 2 yrs. Got more involved in waterfowl. Still use the scents,calls, rattle, if I think it'll work, pretty much the same technique as bowhunting, but ur right, better range with gun. Good luck this year. :thumbsup:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:12 am

No problem Boocephus.. :beer:

Riverrat47 you hit the nail on the head with the boredom in a tree stand. :fingerhead: If I make it 3 hours even the 1st time out for the season when I'm a little excited about going is a miracle. I can sit all day in a boat or blind with friend or by myself and watch nothing fly by and be content.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:18 am

riverrat47 wrote:I started out an upland and duck hunter, over 55 yrs. ago. A few trips to southern Illinois in my youth (geese were rarely seen outside the SIQZ), turned me into a goose hunter, too.
I tried deer hunting a little, when drives were the method, and decided that if I could survive Viet Nam I damned sure wasn't going to give some idiot deer hunter the chance to shoot me. Then, about 20 years ago, with duck and upland hunting fading fast in this area (plus, I got access to a nice deer woods), I took up deer hunting...only stand hunting this time-both shotgun and archery.
IMHO, I think deer hunting is as boring as it gets. Sitting quietly for hours and HOURS, just isn't my cup of tea. Sitting in a tree or sloooowly stalking, is total BOREDOM. Watching the woods come alive in the morning, especially during archer season, is the best part of deer hunting. Whether the deer is 100 yds or 12, whether it has headgear or not, they just don't excite me that much. Jumping out of the ditch in front of me, when I'm driving 65-THAT is an adrenalin rush.
I would trade every deer in Illinois if we could go back to the late `50's:
Upland game was plentiful. The opening day of upland was a big deal. Now, I rarely see anyone hunting pheasant or quail.
Access for hunting was a matter of asking. Leasing, except for OUTSTANDING duck or goose areas, was unimaginable. Now, everywhere you go, deer leasing is locking out the average Joe.
Seeing a goose outside of the Southern Illinois Quota Zone (below Rt 13) was rare. There was something magical about southern Illinois goose hunting. What happened in so. IL., stayed in so. IL.
There were enough ducks along the river to keep you going.
Seeing a deer would make the local papers.
Turkeys didn't exist in Illinois, although there was talk of MAYBE reintroducing them in the Shawnee.
Yep, give me a duck blind with friends, my dog, breakfast and BS, or tromping field edges with friends and dog for quail or pheasant. Now that is fun. You can keep the deer.

There have been few posts made on this site that I agree with more than ^^^This^^^ :clapping:
Last edited by Blackcloud870 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:28 am

The thing I like about deer hunting is that I live within 20 minutes of where I hunt so if I get a spare 2 hours in the evening before sunset or 2 hours in the morning I can always go deer hunting. It's nice because I set all my stands before the season so all I gotta do is walk in and hunt, no setup required like waterfowl does. It's just nice to be able to escape every now and then for a quick hunt which isn't usually an option for duck and goose hunting.
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:42 am

Never deer hunted in my life! I don't plan on starting either!

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:24 am

16 mallards with three buddies in the blind with you or a deer from a tree by yourself ? I'll take the mallards every time . :wink:
Grossy23
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:38 am

Hell, I'd take 16 buddies with 3 mallards, sharing a bunch of laughs and a non-hydrating adult beverage, as opposed to being shooting a glorified goat, then having to load it into the truck by yourself. Yep, I'll be in the deer woods this weekend, but thankfully I'll have a nephew in the same acreage...hopefully to help me load a deer early Friday morning, so I can quit for the season. :beer: :beer: :beer:
Last edited by riverrat47 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:57 am

Love I'm surrounded by the alike.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:44 am

xtrema13 wrote:Never deer hunted in my life! I don't plan on starting either!

Sent from my PH-2

Don't knock it til you try it. It's actually pretty cool, and they taste better than duck, too!
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:09 am

My family owns a farm across the river in Missouri (where I am from), so naturally deer hunting and turkey hunting were what I grew up on. In my early adolescence I was introduced to duck hunting and took to it quite nicely. Over the next few years I gravitated more towards duck hunting than I did deer hunting. Now I solely duck hunt. I will go to the 'Deer Camp' on their opening weekend and party with the gang like old times, but in the mornings when they're dragging out of bed to go crawl into a deer stand, I'm getting geared up to go to the blinds.

Different strokes for different folks.

But in agreeance with someone's earlier post, you're quite right-So Il is not what it used to be.
Last edited by MODuckkiller on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:14 am

luie b wrote:
xtrema13 wrote:Never deer hunted in my life! I don't plan on starting either!

Sent from my PH-2

Don't knock it til you try it. It's actually pretty cool, and they taste better than duck, too!

umm.............NO.

i will take mallard breast over backstraps any day. the only advantage to deer is the amount of meat you get for one kill.

i will more than likely be setting a goose spread this weekend away from the deer hunters. i just get bored too darn easy when i am deer hunting.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:28 am

Im not knocking it im just saying, how fun could it be to sit there, not be able to move or talk? Waiting on one single thing to walk by? I mean all power to you if its your thing. Its just not for me.
xtrema13
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:36 am

xtrema13 wrote:Im not knocking it im just saying, how fun could it be to sit there, not be able to move or talk? Waiting on one single thing to walk by? I mean all power to you if its your thing. Its just not for me.

If you're in a good stand you'll be covered in deer. It ain't that boring but it takes a patient person to be able to do.
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Good topic for discussion. Those that know me know where I stand on this. My opinion and solely mine is that you can't be both. Don't care what others say. You can't. Does an electrician call themselves a plumber? Or an artist a doctor? I'm sure hunters physically hunt both during the same season. A passion and desire drives the hunt. I love fowlin' and can't imagine hunting anything else. Have to put the time in in order to be labeled any kind of hunter. Can't shoot ducks from the couch. Not sure I can call myself a crappie fisherman since I caught one crappie this past year while fishing for LG every outing.

All those deer hunters this weekend spend all the time in the tree stand or stand ups. Less pressure on the birds.

You don't have to win bass tournaments to be a bass fisherman. Just target them and have some success. Now if you are targeting bass and catch a few pike, you are correct, you are not a pike fisherman. However, if sometimes you intentionally get the gear out and go after pike and catch them, you are also a pike fisherman.

You sound more like an addict. You don't have to be an addict to call yourself a duck hunter. But I agree, there is not time for two different hunting addictions. I'm addicted to all of it. I like variety. In an ideal year, I target geese in early September, deer in early October, ducks in late October, ducks/deer in November, a pheasant/bunny/or squirrel trip or two in late November, bitch and complain in December because we are froze out and the geese numbers are low and I don't want another deer, a couple trips for bunnies in late December, Canada Geese in January, work on the blinds on the ice in February, a snow goose trip in early March, and if I had anywhere close to go I'd be hunting turkeys in April and May and then it's fishing season until September. :thumbsup:

I'd call my self a duck, Canada goose, deer, pheasant, and squirrel hunter because I can and do go out and kill them on my own. Am I the baddest at any of them :no: Bunnies and Snow geese, I'm just tagging a long and doing the shooting, but could do both on my own if I had the dogs or the gear, so if you prefer hunts bunnies instead of a bunny hunter, that's fine. However, if you can and do do it yourself, then you can call yourself a __________ hunter and I'm so awesome I can and do do that with several species :yes:

Grossy23 wrote:16 mallards with three buddies in the blind with you or a deer from a tree by yourself ? I'll take the mallards every time .
The day my heart beats like when a deer is close when I'm archery hunting. Then I'm with you. I've never even come close to the adrenaline rush that comes with deer hunting, especially with a bow. I had a young buck within 8 yards yesterday and never got a shot. Nothing like having a deer so close that he can see you blink. I missed a monster buck a week ago. I've missed many ducks, none will be burned in my memory like that arrow passing under that monster buck. Wouldn't want to do it every day, which is why on windy days I hunt ducks and calm days I hunt deer unless one or the other has been really hot. That's why I haven't gone duck hunting in over a week and the only reason I'll be going this weekend is I don't bother to gun hunt for deer given archery season is so long.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting