Deer Season vs. Duck Season

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Deer Season vs. Duck Season

Postby luie b » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:31 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
KillerKowalski wrote:Good topic for discussion. Those that know me know where I stand on this. My opinion and solely mine is that you can't be both. Don't care what others say. You can't. Does an electrician call themselves a plumber? Or an artist a doctor? I'm sure hunters physically hunt both during the same season. A passion and desire drives the hunt. I love fowlin' and can't imagine hunting anything else. Have to put the time in in order to be labeled any kind of hunter. Can't shoot ducks from the couch. Not sure I can call myself a crappie fisherman since I caught one crappie this past year while fishing for LG every outing.

All those deer hunters this weekend spend all the time in the tree stand or stand ups. Less pressure on the birds.

You don't have to win bass tournaments to be a bass fisherman. Just target them and have some success. Now if you are targeting bass and catch a few pike, you are correct, you are not a pike fisherman. However, if sometimes you intentionally get the gear out and go after pike and catch them, you are also a pike fisherman.

You sound more like an addict. You don't have to be an addict to call yourself a duck hunter. But I agree, there is not time for two different hunting addictions. I'm addicted to all of it. I like variety. In an ideal year, I target geese in early September, deer in early October, ducks in late October, ducks/deer in November, a pheasant/bunny/or squirrel trip or two in late November, bitch and complain in December because we are froze out and the geese numbers are low and I don't want another deer, a couple trips for bunnies in late December, Canada Geese in January, work on the blinds on the ice in February, a snow goose trip in early March, and if I had anywhere close to go I'd be hunting turkeys in April and May and then it's fishing season until September. :thumbsup:

I'd call my self a duck, Canada goose, deer, pheasant, and squirrel hunter because I can and do go out and kill them on my own. Am I the baddest at any of them :no: Bunnies and Snow geese, I'm just tagging a long and doing the shooting, but could do both on my own if I had the dogs or the gear, so if you prefer hunts bunnies instead of a bunny hunter, that's fine. However, if you can and do do it yourself, then you can call yourself a __________ hunter and I'm so awesome I can and do do that with several species :yes:

Grossy23 wrote:16 mallards with three buddies in the blind with you or a deer from a tree by yourself ? I'll take the mallards every time .
The day my heart beats like when a deer is close when I'm archery hunting. Then I'm with you. I've never even come close to the adrenaline rush that comes with deer hunting, especially with a bow. I had a young buck within 8 yards yesterday and never got a shot. Nothing like having a deer so close that he can see you blink. I missed a monster buck a week ago. I've missed many ducks, none will be burned in my memory like that arrow passing under that monster buck. Wouldn't want to do it every day, which is why on windy days I hunt ducks and calm days I hunt deer unless one or the other has been really hot. That's why I haven't gone duck hunting in over a week and the only reason I'll be going this weekend is I don't bother to gun hunt for deer given archery season is so long.

I'm with this guy! I hunt hard for everything. The only thing around here I don't really hunt hard is for coons. Never really got into it.
luie b
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:16 am

luie b wrote:I'm with this guy! I hunt hard for everything. The only thing around here I don't really hunt hard is for coons. Never really got into it.
And if I had the time, I'd be running traps like I did as a kid. However, if I tried to do that too, I'm pretty sure I'd be using the pelts to pay for a divorce lawyer. :eek:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:35 am

I used to deer hunt , archery and gun season . Still would if I hadn't lost access to ground to hunt . I have two 150-160 class bucks on the wall from gun seasons past , even missed some big ones with my bow . Little deer , big deer , does or bucks gave me the adrenaline rush or buck fever , whatever it's called . A flock of ducks working the spread does the same thing to me . It has since the first time I went duck hunting 30 plus years ago . Waterfowl trip my trigger so to speak .
I'd say you can do it all and do it all well . Time to pursue your passion , whether deer or duck , and access to hunt them is the issue not whether one or the other is better . Good Luck this weekend to all of you in a tree this weekend ! :beer:
Grossy23
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:08 am

Grossy23 wrote:Little deer , big deer , does or bucks gave me the adrenaline rush or buck fever , whatever it's called . A flock of ducks working the spread does the same thing to me .

And maybe that is the better judge. What gets the heart pounding. No question I get excited watching a flock of ducks or geese work, but for me, it doesn't get the heart pounding. It's more an enjoyment of the beauty of a flock of working birds. It's a completely different type of enjoyment for me. Each different thing I hunt is a different type of enjoyment for me. Deer, it's the adrenaline and the venison. Ducks it's the beauty of the working birds. Canada geese, it's the calling, the back and forth, trying to outsmart hard hunted birds and the size of the birds. I just enjoy the huge thump of a big goose hitting the land or water. Pheasants, I love the team work of the dog and hunter. I lost my dog this year, so I probably won't pheasant hunt. Squirrels, I just enjoy the peacefulness of sneaking around in the woods by myself with a .22 and trying to find those little buggers hiding in the trees or settle the crosshairs on them when they won't stop moving. Bunnies, it's the baying of the beagles, and all the antics of the bunnies trying to get a way from the dogs. Snow geese is all about the numbers. It's like being a kid again and just shooting all you can shoot. Seeing hundreds of thousands of birds is just unbelievable. Turkey hunting is just awesome. Nothing like a gobbler letting rip nearby to get your heart pounding. I've never even got a turkey, but I loved it the little bit that I have done. And trapping, I love the thinking, planning, and all the care and attention to detail that goes into it. I also like the animals. Raccoons are tough. Fox are scared of their shadow, but beautiful. Skunks, OK, they are an unpleasant surprise, but still part of it. Opposums are unique. Mink are badass. Muskrats are fun. Never caught any coyotes.

I just don't know why you would pick just one when there is time to go after so many different things. It's like having an exquisite buffet and eating just one thing.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Mallards every time, nothing like watching birds do it right for that glorious moment, only to blow there heads off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:05 am

asmythe32 wrote:Mallards every time, nothing like watching birds do it right for that glorious moment, only to blow there heads off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... or whiff. Plenty of those this season. Bought shells on clearance with no shot in them.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby QuackHonkBang » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:49 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Grossy23 wrote:Little deer , big deer , does or bucks gave me the adrenaline rush or buck fever , whatever it's called . A flock of ducks working the spread does the same thing to me .

And maybe that is the better judge. What gets the heart pounding. No question I get excited watching a flock of ducks or geese work, but for me, it doesn't get the heart pounding. It's more an enjoyment of the beauty of a flock of working birds. It's a completely different type of enjoyment for me. Each different thing I hunt is a different type of enjoyment for me. Deer, it's the adrenaline and the venison. Ducks it's the beauty of the working birds. Canada geese, it's the calling, the back and forth, trying to outsmart hard hunted birds and the size of the birds. I just enjoy the huge thump of a big goose hitting the land or water. Pheasants, I love the team work of the dog and hunter. I lost my dog this year, so I probably won't pheasant hunt. Squirrels, I just enjoy the peacefulness of sneaking around in the woods by myself with a .22 and trying to find those little buggers hiding in the trees or settle the crosshairs on them when they won't stop moving. Bunnies, it's the baying of the beagles, and all the antics of the bunnies trying to get a way from the dogs. Snow geese is all about the numbers. It's like being a kid again and just shooting all you can shoot. Seeing hundreds of thousands of birds is just unbelievable. Turkey hunting is just awesome. Nothing like a gobbler letting rip nearby to get your heart pounding. I've never even got a turkey, but I loved it the little bit that I have done. And trapping, I love the thinking, planning, and all the care and attention to detail that goes into it. I also like the animals. Raccoons are tough. Fox are scared of their shadow, but beautiful. Skunks, OK, they are an unpleasant surprise, but still part of it. Opposums are unique. Mink are badass. Muskrats are fun. Never caught any coyotes.

I just don't know why you would pick just one when there is time to go after so many different things. It's like having an exquisite buffet and eating just one thing.

Nicely said :clapping: :clapping:
QuackHonkBang
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Not sure why you can't do both. I do the three "D's"...Ducks, Dove AND Deer. Of course I'll throw in geese too. This is the deer I got Friday morning.

Ed L.
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Heck, Im just happy to be hunting.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby lilfukr79 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:36 pm

If I had to pick one I would pic fowl for shure. I bow and gun hunt for deer, I love huntin deer, I have nothing against deer hunters, I am gettin sick of BUCK hunters though, I hate sittin in a duck blind listing to buck hunters cry about not seeing any "shooters" or not having anywhere to hunt big deer. Im in a duck blind to hunt fowl not to get the play by play on the rut or piss and moan about land getting leased or bought up by people who have to much money. What happened to the days when people shot any deer for the meat and if a big buck came by every few years or so that was neat. If a deer comes by me that doesnt have spots im gonna pop it so I can get back to huntin fowl. I dont know to many people that dont shoot a duck cause its head wanst green enough or it was missing a couple feathers.
lilfukr79
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 am

lil,
EXACTLY! I feel the same way. I'm convinced that trophy deer hunters are also bass tournament fishermen. I fish and hunt to relax and have fun. I don't like making an outdoor pursuit into a competitive event. (As close as I come is to bet beers on biggest or most fish/deer/bird.)
Also, I don't particularly like people who look down their noses at those that hunt/fish by other methods or species, ie: bass fisherman looking down on the cat fisherman, fly fisherman looking down on those using live bait, bow hunter looking down on gun hunter, etc.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:18 am

lilfukr79 wrote:I am gettin sick of BUCK hunters though, I hate sittin in a duck blind listing to buck hunters cry about not seeing any "shooters"
I don't get this. I've never seen a deer that wasn't a shooter. :huh:

I actually did something this season I had never done before. I passed on a legal deer. But that was because I already had one in the freezer. After that I actually do become a buck hunter. These are big animals, and there is no limit on the doe, so I get why some people are selective.

If I have a very good season on geese, I plan to get the bow out and try to shoot them that way. There's a limit to what you can eat and who wants to quit hunting before the season is over? Some years I run up against that limit, so I get selective. Most years, that is one deer and the rest of the things I get. This year, I could take a second deer without having too much, but there is a lot of goose season left. That's why I Iet the doe walk. However, the 1.5 year old small 8 that came behind her. I had no plans to let him walk, but he just never gave me a good shot. Someday he will be a very good one. Had he turned right instead of left, he would have been good venison. :yes:

I don't have a problem with big buck hunters as long as they don't try to push their views on to others. There is no right and wrong way if it is sustainable and legal. Shooting a button buck is both, so I'll keep on doing it. You can't eat the horns, but to each his own :beer:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting