Field Hunting

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Field Hunting

Postby Keny656 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 am

I have private property this year thanks to taking KK's advice and pounding pavement. My only thing is there are ducks in the area but I have never field hunted ducks before. What is a good decoy spread for them. All i have for field decoys are my water keel Decoys with stakes around the keel. Most are feeders some are resters. Do they pattern any way in a field or should I set them as I would on water?
Rain Kead my Friends, Rain Kead.
Keny656
hunter

Re: Field Hunting

Postby joekool » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:57 am

well it depends on your wind but when you kill in the feild you have to rembemer they arent going to lite or glide into the spread. they have to land on ground soo they will land right on top of you if you got the dekes all around. you want to put the dekes out in front of you and put a pocket out there soo they will land right where you want them. its not much diffrent in my eyes,
take your parents hunting, so you dont have to hunt your parents
joekool
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:37 pm

:clapping: Congrats! Now go smack 'em.

Play the wind every day and set up the decoys to your advantage. Wind does change direction while hunting sometimes. Did on me yesterday morning from S to SW to straight W. Cost us a few groups that wouldn't finish and a few hours chasing the last bird for limit. Being hunkered down in the blind I never noticed it until I stood up and felt the wind. I make holes for them to choose from where I would like them to finish above or in. I usually pace holes 15-25 yards out depending on what I am hunting. Always leave them outs. Your floaters will work fine. I have seen people convert and cut keels off to make field shells. It's still a duck decoy. Some like to setup so you are shooting from side to side and have blinds off to the side of landing zones. Personally, I like the birds to drop in my face and shoot on the descend. This usually gets them to hit the brakes and swing 180* to escape the death fast approaching. I feel if you set up on the sides the birds skirt the spread the same way they came in at a faster speed if they had to back peddle out. Whatever you do don't have the birds finish going over you (shooting them in the butt). When you have working birds you can watch them move their heads/necks looking straight down. Usually, birds will bust the layouts or pit once they are directly over head and hit the jets out. You can hear the wing beats pick up when this happens and the bird flares off.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Keny656 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I'm really excited to try this as I got so many NO's while out looking. Some people actually surprised me as to how offended they got when I would ask. But this guy was glad to have someone out there and his only condition was we have to kill some coyotes for him. (2nd favorite type of hunting) So it was a win win situation. We are in fields right above the hill from banner and have seen alot of ducks and geese coming in and out of the field. I gave up my day off to go hunting just to try and find a place and I am very excited about it.
Keny656
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Awesome! A lot of nos will lead to a yes. I had a landowner smile ear to ear giving me permission a few years ago. His trade off was he wanted me to shoot the geese in his winter wheat and give him goose meat once in awhile. :grooving:. I told him I wasn't sure if I could fulfill what he requested jokingly. That landowner opened the door to a neighboring field. Today, I have three fields in a square mile to choose from. It's not hot and heavy, but at least more doors opened and who knows what else will.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby outdrguyjr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:53 am

Great tips KK...one quick question...is there a better set up when ducks and geese are in the area? I tend to use a J pattern for geese with some mallard full bodies mixed in, but often will not get the ducks to finish. Any suggestions?
outdrguyjr
hunter

Postby Dukplukr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 am

My experience has been to set the mallards apart from the geese giving them their own landing area. At least that has been what has worked well for me in the past. I often use my mallard dekes to close off one side of my landing hole in the goose spread. Also after 40 some odd years of watching these birds here are a couple of observations. Mixing mallards in with the goose dekes probably won't bother the ducks, but geese can be leary of landing in with ducks. Ducks when alarmed will take off with a jump and go straight up where as geese need some runway room. Kinda like the difference between a Harrier jet and a B-52 one is capable of vertical take off and landing the other needs some run way to get airborne.
Dukplukr
hunter

Postby lilfukr79 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:58 pm

I know lots of people are not big fans of mojos, but they still work wonders for field hunting ducks. To be honest with ya we have never used duck decoys in the fields besides mojos. We use goose decoys(fullbodys and shells) and a couple mojos. We have killed tons of ducks over the years over goose spreads with a couple mojos runnin. Keep the mojos on low poles and keep them close to your layout blind so when geese are coming reach up and shut off the mojos(if ya dont have a remote for them). Im not saying duck decoys dont work in fields im just saying we havent seen the need to go out and buy any.
lilfukr79
hunter

Postby Dukplukr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:21 am

lilfukr is correct on the Mojo's. The first time I used one in the field I was so amazed I almost forgot to pull the trigger. The freaking mallards will practically land right on top of the Mojo, truly an awesome sight having 30-40 ducks at ground level and 20 yards out. He is also correct on turning the things off if you have geese working. Mine has a remote so I can do this from the layout. The last time out I didn't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my ass as we had mallards and geese working at the same time (I know, poor me) anyway a decision had to be made and since I have already scratched a few geese but not so many ducks I ignored the geese and went for the greenheads. It was a good hunt. I don't know if this is universal but in my area geese do not want to finish with a spinning Mojo going. I will let it work until I think they are interested in my spread, it does get their attention as does flagging but then I shut it down and work the geese. Good luck.
Dukplukr
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Field hunting with spinners and having Mallards pause a few feet above waiting for the spinner to land is the closest thing to sex. :huh: Love watching it.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Some mite say better .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby BillMurray » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:13 pm

I have a field in that same area and haven't had much luck yet this season. Anyone have much luck on cold, calm, sunny days? I assume not but since I can only hunt weekends, I'm limited to what the weather gives me. I figure if its cold, the birds have to feed sometime. It's not bitter cold yet, but cold enough for ice. Haven't had any luck in the mornings yet, going to try an afternoon hunt to see if we can do any better. Been seeing a lot of geese in the distance but they all know where they need to be (Duck Creek). Hoping to pull in some greenheads since we're between Rice and Banner. Anyone feel free to lend some field hunting tips other than use mojos, 20 dozen full bodies, and shoot them in the face. Not hunting the 'X' but there's gotta be a lonely bird around sooner or later.
BillMurray
hunter

Postby qckhd » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:42 am

Hunting between Banner & Rice is tough because the birds use/follow the river and don't use many fields until they get past Rice
qckhd
hunter

Postby Keny656 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:04 am

we have ducks in ours field and the surrounding fields.
Keny656
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 am

pm is usually better
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby sureshot 612 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:28 am

Kenny just put up the GPS #, and we will stop by, :lol3: and we will bring the sandwiches.
just hanggin till season opens
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby Keny656 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:34 am

If i could get other people on with me I would be more than welcoming to take others out. I could only get myself and my hunting partner on and it is hard to do everything with just two when one of us it is his first year. I am currently working on trying to get the privilage of taking out verterans but the land owner said it could be a safety issue with having more than two out there. Even though it is about a 150 acre field with no houses around. I will be working on it if I get the chance I would welcome anyone I can out to give me an idea as to what we are doing.

Also I didnt know that divers frequented fields often. We have killed more bluebills and ringnecks than we have big ducks over the fields and we arent that close to water. I had never known divers to feed in a field. I always thought they just followed open water all the way south.
Keny656
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:11 am

sureshot 612 wrote:Kenny just put up the GPS #, and we will stop by, :lol3: and we will bring the sandwiches.

I'll join ya.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:43 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:
sureshot 612 wrote:Kenny just put up the GPS #, and we will stop by, :lol3: and we will bring the sandwiches.

I'll join ya.

Take pictures! :lol:
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 am

BillMurray wrote:I have a field in that same area and haven't had much luck yet this season. Anyone have much luck on cold, calm, sunny days? I assume not but since I can only hunt weekends, I'm limited to what the weather gives me. I figure if its cold, the birds have to feed sometime. It's not bitter cold yet, but cold enough for ice. Haven't had any luck in the mornings yet, going to try an afternoon hunt to see if we can do any better. Been seeing a lot of geese in the distance but they all know where they need to be (Duck Creek). Hoping to pull in some greenheads since we're between Rice and Banner. Anyone feel free to lend some field hunting tips other than use mojos, 20 dozen full bodies, and shoot them in the face. Not hunting the 'X' but there's gotta be a lonely bird around sooner or later.

Try the afternoon instead.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Field hunting with spinners and having Mallards pause a few feet above waiting for the spinner to land is the closest thing to sex. :huh: Love watching it.

Gosh. It happened this morning and my camera battery died two seconds before it did. So ticked about it! Five yards from the layout Mallard Hen almost sat on top of the Mojo. Needless to say her face isn't looking pretty. No doubt it was a ducky day with plenty running into steel.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby BillMurray » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm

xtrema13 wrote:
BillMurray wrote:I have a field in that same area and haven't had much luck yet this season. Anyone have much luck on cold, calm, sunny days? I assume not but since I can only hunt weekends, I'm limited to what the weather gives me. I figure if its cold, the birds have to feed sometime. It's not bitter cold yet, but cold enough for ice. Haven't had any luck in the mornings yet, going to try an afternoon hunt to see if we can do any better. Been seeing a lot of geese in the distance but they all know where they need to be (Duck Creek). Hoping to pull in some greenheads since we're between Rice and Banner. Anyone feel free to lend some field hunting tips other than use mojos, 20 dozen full bodies, and shoot them in the face. Not hunting the 'X' but there's gotta be a lonely bird around sooner or later.

Try the afternoon instead.

Sent from my PH-2

Tried Friday afternoon. They didn't fly til after shooting time. Halfway done picking up our goose decoys and the ducks flew over as well as a couple flocks of geese. Now to hope that cold weather comes back
BillMurray
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:46 pm

If you are seeing them fly in the afternoon, hunt it in the noon. Every field is different. 30 miles apart by me are like two separate flyways. Limits and then nada. Persistence and patience.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting