First Season On My Own

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

First Season On My Own

Postby MaxDuck » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:06 am

This fall was my first season of duck hunting on my own. My dad has to have hip surgery so he was out of commission this season so while I was back home over thanksgiving break he was not able to join me. I hunted all public land, killed ducks, and had a great time. It was definitely a learning experience calling the shot, placing the deeks where I thought was best, and doing all of the calling. I did have a few a long shots that probably would have had my dad shaking his head but I had never learned so much in a season. I was able to spend it either with new friends, my good friend Ben, or by myself. Overall, I'm looking forward to having my dad back next season but this was an awesome experience. Here's a few pictures, and I can't wait to get back from school to finish off duck season and start going after honkers exclusively!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MaxDuck
hunter

Re: First Season On My Own

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 am

Congrats glad you had a good season and were happy with it. Best way to learn is on your own. ill never forget my first time out by myself i still cant believe i missed what would have not only been my firsl bird on my own but my pups first retrieve. that was 12 years ago now. Time sure flies and the addiction gets worse every year. good luck on them diaper butts when you get back from school :thumbsup:
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Congratulations, Max.

Nothing like learning on your own and getting your feet wet. All of us were new boots at some point in time. I was. One morning I fell sleep in a layout with Canadas in the spread. Pager went off and spooked all of them up. Never fired a shot. Never even woke up when they came in. Pretty upset for a high school kid at the time and only killing a few birds a year. Never again have I fell asleep while hunting.

Remember just one thing. There's more to just killing birds. Fellowship is a large part of our sport. It's not a single man's game to be played. Hopefully you can make it back before Northern closes. Finish your finals early or ask if you can.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby roadbildr » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Amen on fellowship

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
roadbildr
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:56 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Congratulations, Max.

Nothing like learning on your own and getting your feet wet. All of us were new boots at some point in time. I was. One morning I fell sleep in a layout with Canadas in the spread. Pager went off and spooked all of them up. Never fired a shot. Never even woke up when they came in. Pretty upset for a high school kid at the time and only killing a few birds a year. Never again have I fell asleep while hunting.

Remember just one thing. There's more to just killing birds. Fellowship is a large part of our sport. It's not a single man's game to be played. Hopefully you can make it back before Northern closes. Finish your finals early or ask if you can.

I like where this guy's mindset it at.
I could care less if I kill a duck so as long as good times are had by all, memories are made, and everyone comes home safe at the end of the day.....

But I wouldn't mind if I killed a few limits here and there. :yes:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby MaxDuck » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:27 am

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. Hope you all finish the season out strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MaxDuck
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Congrats. Not a thing wrong with going home with 3 fat mallards. Like that river setup. I would add a few divers behind the mallards. :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting