How Much Ice Can You Break?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

How Much Ice Can You Break?

Postby luie b » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 pm

What's the thickest ice you guys have broke through to open up a hole on a farm pond or such? I'm thinking of doing it later this weekend(hoping I have a deer or two down by then). I've broke open a hole before but the most I can remember doing took like an hour to get it 15 foot wide and the ice was probably 2 inch thick. I'm thinking of taking either an ax or splitting maul this time to it so I can really break through that stuff good and do it in sheets. But then again it may get too cold too quick and make too thick of ice and I'll be stuck out in the corn fields...
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Re: How Much Ice Can You Break?

Postby qckhd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Try using a chainsaw.... Makes it much easier cutting the ice into sheets just pay attention to spray and where you stand or you will end up cold & wet!!!!
qckhd
hunter

Postby WillFultz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Chainsaw or axe...just cut ice 2" thick for my ice eater with a chainsaw in about 5 min....huntable hole may take about 30
WillFultz
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:42 am

as much as out back can handle you dont need alot of open water to kill birds if you have the flow the smallest hole can be a huge payoff no matter how thick it is around it
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:06 am

Chainsaw all day.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:37 am

Chisel by hand. I make ice sculptures before LST.

Chainsaw. Wear googles if you can.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby lilfukr79 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:12 pm

If ya use a chainsaw take some cardboard or something like that to put over your bar up against your saw. It deflects most of the water and keeps you and yor saw a lot drier. If its cold enough you need to be cutting through ice the dryer you are the warmer you will stay.
lilfukr79
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:50 pm

2.5" around the blind about 40' out in front and sides. Only had an axe and rake that day so it took about 2.5hrs to clear a hole. Not to mention another hour to launch the boat. Had two limits of ducks and three geese in 15minutes. Another day that week had 3" at the launch but we were smart enough to bring the chainsaw. I pray for ice every year. Never went home without a full bird tote if we had to break ice. And no not golden eyes I'm talkin mallards, blacks, grays, ect. Spoonies rarely get a free pass though, so damn stupid looking they deserve some dryloc :hammer:
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:45 pm

If it's that cold out how do you keep your chain from freezing once your done using your chainsaw? Or do you just run in it for a little bit after you're done to clear any water off?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Ice Eater, 2.5".

Once it gets that thick though, if you want a respectable-sized hole you'll have to help it out a little bit. Sheet the edges. Once the edges are sheeted though, it'll keep it open.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:52 am

Never needed it more than once in a day. However make sure you are constantly pushing your oiler, above the ice and preferably while reving over some cardboard so you don't pollute the water. If its gasoline I always run my equipment until it is nice and dry whether its rain, snow, or water on the mud motor. Never store anything wet!!
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting