Here goes nothing......

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Here goes nothing......

Postby DuckMulisha13 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey all, kinda new guy, I had a different user name and I dont remmber the screen name(guess I should have used it huh?) At any rate, my name is John i'm from N IL...enough with the small talk though....Im looking to find out if its legal to use a tarp/black sheet on the ice or in the field....I keep reading and now I wanna know if it really works or not......Ive looked at the rules and regs but I havent seen anything, not sure if it would be considered baiting.....thoughts?????

4 geese
0 ducks
lots of laughs
DuckMulisha13
hunter

Re: Here goes nothing......

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:30 pm

I understand it to be legal as long as there is no baiting involved. You want to make it look like water from above to attract the birds. Don't see how it would be against rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:48 am

heard of this one other time dont know anyone who actually tried it though. sure sounds like it would work makes sense. water is not baiting so i dont knwo how they would try and pinch you on it but my buddy is a CPO i will find out shortly...
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:01 am

totally legal let us know how it goes
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:02 am

"Plonds" are perfectly legal in IL. I've never tried it, but I do know a few guys who have had some success using this tactic. From what I've been told, the plond hunters have the most success in very dry years, and late in the winter when there is snow on the ground.
If you give it a shot, let us know how it goes! :beer:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby DuckMulisha13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Glad to see the replies! I live right off the lake/channel by 12 and I have spent the last 2 weekends watching these geese hang on the ice and occasionally hit the water....My thought was if it freezes enough if I just shoveled or just threw down a a giant tarp and threw some shells on it and kicked a little snow on it, it would give it a little more livelier look. I will def let everyone know how this works if it freezes and I also might toss it out in the field in a little hollow and see if it attracts any ducks.....the one thing that I wanna get a shot at, ive only seen high fliers. Stay safe!

:beer:
DuckMulisha13
hunter

Postby efo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Any update on the tarp, pics?
efo
hunter

Postby DuckMulisha13 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 am

No haven't been back to the field in a few weeks. Hunted the creek down the road
this morning. I spent more time axing the ice the anything, gonna go out
again after lunch and clean my hole out and try the end of the day.
DuckMulisha13
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting