Duck Lease on MS River Question (available for 2014)

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Postby sportsman7 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:21 pm

I deer hunt on land near Dallas City, Illinois. The property has about 2,000' of frontage on the MS River and probably 10-15 water acres depending on water level. It has probably 2-3 blind locations. It is on flat , river bottom land, which also floods in high water. There is one old blind on the property, I have pictures. This property is accessible by boat on the river or by ATV. My gate is 1/4 mile form the river and I have a woods road system that you can follow to the river bank on atv. The neighbor limited out the last morning I was there on mallards and teal. That was in November. Anyway, my question is I'm thinking of leasing the property next year to cover some of my expenses (taxes, bank note, etc) and wondered what a property of this type might typically lease for. Also, could add the turkey hunting with the right situation or group. Here are a few pics. Message me with questions.

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu73 ... 8269d8.jpg
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu73 ... cd2d3e.jpg
sportsman7
hunter

Re: Duck Lease on MS River Question (available for 2014)

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:08 pm

Too bad it's not in southern Illinois.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby MNH » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:38 pm

are you up or down river from Dallas City?
MNH
hunter

Postby sportsman7 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:08 am

up river
sportsman7
hunter

Postby MNH » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 am

Approximately how far up river as the crow flys from the Dallas City Park?
MNH
hunter

Postby sportsman7 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:53 am

Probably two to three miles, MNH I sent you a Pr. message with more info
sportsman7
hunter

Postby sportsman7 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Update, I have someone interested at $1,500 per year. If anyone else has interest at a better price let me know. I am going to to make a decision in February or there about. I am restricting a 5 day block sometime in November for deer hunting where no one will be allowed on the property.
sportsman7
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:21 pm

$1,500?!?! Geezzzz. That's a steal. Wish it was closer or I know about ten others who would be happy to lease for $1,501.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Otter Decoy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Interested please check pm
Otter Decoy
Newb

Postby qckhd » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:11 pm

If it were closer I have a group of guys that would do it for a minimum of $2,000 depending on how many blinds/pits it could support being hunted!
qckhd
hunter

Postby sal » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:11 pm

I have to ask a question . Am I missing something here,this property looks like someone can get to it by water ,if they are in a boat blind on water can't they hunt it ? It's the mississippi River how can the water be private? Like I said I may be missing something from the pictures.
sal
Newb

Postby qckhd » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:22 pm

I believe the pictures are showing how much water the area holds when it floods. He stated he owns property that borders the river and has 2000ft of river frontage. If you want to boat in I am sure you could IF you don't mind trespassing charges....
qckhd
hunter

Postby rism » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:26 am

sal - read rules and regulations very carefully. Landowner owns the land under the water to the middle where it joins either the neighboring state or landowner. You can be on the water but NOT ANCHORED. If you are anchored you are trespassing. In Illinois if you are hunting from a boat blind or any kind of boat that has camo added to the boat, such as willows tied to it or a boat blind then it must be ANCHORED to hunt. Then you are trespassing again and believe me the landowners in good duck hunting spots on the Mississippi River are not bashful about calling the police. When you are trespassing they can call Local, County, State or Conservation Officers. Been there done that when I was a kid. Fortunate that I was never arrested but sure got run off and preached a sermon a time or three.
rism
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:09 am

Gotta love our great state.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Duckjunkie194 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Ok, so I understand that most property surveys show property lines extending to the middle of the lake or river, but how can a landowner say it is trespassing if the area is accessed by boat? Does that mean that every person anchored on the river or a lake fishing is trespassing? Seems a little odd to me. If someone could show me specific info on that subject, I'd like to read it. I know several areas of other rivers where we hunt right next to Forest Preserve land without any issues (boat staked close enough to shore that the dog can get out and do his business w/out getting his feet wet). I think if I was trespassing on their property, they would've addressed it by now......And just for the record, the IDNR wardens do not enforce trespassing. You must call the local sheriff or local po-po for that.
I make my own X
Duckjunkie194
Newb

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:01 am

Duckjunkie194 wrote:Ok, so I understand that most property surveys show property lines extending to the middle of the lake or river, but how can a landowner say it is trespassing if the area is accessed by boat? Does that mean that every person anchored on the river or a lake fishing is trespassing? Seems a little odd to me. If someone could show me specific info on that subject, I'd like to read it. I know several areas of other rivers where we hunt right next to Forest Preserve land without any issues (boat staked close enough to shore that the dog can get out and do his business w/out getting his feet wet). I think if I was trespassing on their property, they would've addressed it by now......And just for the record, the IDNR wardens do not enforce trespassing. You must call the local sheriff or local po-po for that.

Yep, this is the way it was explained to me twice out on the water by the Man!
When I said " I have permission to hunt here" he said " I never got a call about trespassing I am just checking your legal limits, shells, etc". Same thing pheasant hunting, just checked or guns and shells and birds. As he said " it's only trespassing if the owner calls, not some pissed off hunter down the way that is mad that you are shooting more then him :beer: his words not mine.
And they have always been super nice while checking on us.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Pool 19 & 20 were created by the 1st dam on the Miss., the hydro dam at Keokuk. It was built by Union Electric, now Ameren. They purchased all land impacted by the dam, thus they own the pool, outside the main channel. They have sold off much of that land...thus the backwaters, etc are PRIVATE. Many have argued this point and all lost, both with law enforcement and the courts, some at great expense. The landowners aren't usually as particular about fishing, but are real sticklers on hunting as many parcels were purchased for waterfowling.

KK, go over to the Iowa or Missouri side (part of Pool 20) and you will find it enforced in the same manner.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:41 pm

riverrat47 wrote:KK, go over to the Iowa or Missouri side (part of Pool 20) and you will find it enforced in the same manner.

Why me?!?! How did I get pulled into this?!?! Believe me I know what our statutes read and how they are enforced.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:00 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Gotta love our great state.

That's why. You were acting like it was ONLY Illinois.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:30 pm

Oh, then gotta love IA and MO. And, hate WI and IN.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:45 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Oh, then gotta love IA and MO. And, hate WI and IN.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:27 pm

riverrat47 wrote:Pool 19 & 20 were created by the 1st dam on the Miss., the hydro dam at Keokuk. It was built by Union Electric, now Ameren. They purchased all land impacted by the dam, thus they own the pool, outside the main channel. They have sold off much of that land...thus the backwaters, etc are PRIVATE. Many have argued this point and all lost, both with law enforcement and the courts, some at great expense. The landowners aren't usually as particular about fishing, but are real sticklers on hunting as many parcels were purchased for waterfowling.

KK, go over to the Iowa or Missouri side (part of Pool 20) and you will find it enforced in the same manner.

I'll play devils advocate here. As I understand it the river is governed by the federal government and the corps of engineers which overrides state law . When I applied for my personal boat dock permit I was quickly informed MY boat dock isn't private if it's on federal water. My house is on the Mississippi river. Yes my abstract shows my property line ends half way between the shoreline of the island I live on and the mainland. I was told that's how the survey was conducted in the 1800's when the property was subdivided but never was really enforceable. I was told that the corp of engineers maintains a maintenance right of way that on both sides of the river and is open to the public which includes 20ft of shoreline from the water line. For instance I have no legal means of making someone move that decides to fish or camp for that matter on the 20ft strip of land. One day when I was hunting a tract of shoreline across from my house I was being harassed by a passerby. I called the local CO that informed the gentleman I was on federal water and in my legal right to be anchored and hunting there. Then the gentleman told the CO I was to close to a bridge. The CO informed the gentleman that there is nothing on the books as to how far or how close I needed to be from a bridge while waterfowl hunting? I only bring this up because there is a lot of conflicting information when it comes to boundaries on water ways. If I followed the rules as I've been told I would have every right to motor up, anchor and throw out decoys for a morning hunt next to this property. I would contact an attorney that practices land management before offering a lease that includes water usage rights. This of course is only my 2 cents. Just saying.
Ed L.
hunter

Postby qckhd » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Ed L. wrote:
riverrat47 wrote:Pool 19 & 20 were created by the 1st dam on the Miss., the hydro dam at Keokuk. It was built by Union Electric, now Ameren. They purchased all land impacted by the dam, thus they own the pool, outside the main channel. They have sold off much of that land...thus the backwaters, etc are PRIVATE. Many have argued this point and all lost, both with law enforcement and the courts, some at great expense. The landowners aren't usually as particular about fishing, but are real sticklers on hunting as many parcels were purchased for waterfowling.

I'll play devils advocate here. As I understand it the river is governed by the federal government and the corps of engineers which overrides state law . When I applied for my personal boat dock permit I was quickly informed MY boat dock isn't private if it's on federal water. My house is on the Mississippi river. Yes my abstract shows my property line ends half way between the shoreline of the island I live on and the mainland. I was told that's how the survey was conducted in the 1800's when the property was subdivided but never was really enforceable. I was told that the corp of engineers maintains a maintenance right of way that on both sides of the river and is open to the public which includes 20ft of shoreline from the water line. For instance I have no legal means of making someone move that decides to fish or camp for that matter on the 20ft strip of land. One day when I was hunting a tract of shoreline across from my house I was being harassed by a passerby. I called the local CO that informed the gentleman I was on federal water and in my legal right to be anchored and hunting there. Then the gentleman told the CO I was to close to a bridge. The CO informed the gentleman that there is nothing on the books as to how far or how close I needed to be from a bridge while waterfowl hunting? I only bring this up because there is a lot of conflicting information when it comes to boundaries on water ways. If I followed the rules as I've been told I would have every right to motor up, anchor and throw out decoys for a morning hunt next to this property. I would contact an attorney that practices land management before offering a lease that includes water usage rights. This of course is only my 2 cents. Just saying.

You are correct you COULD hunt right next to this property as long as you had permission from the neighboring landowner since the properties bordering this area is also privately owned and if you have ever hunted the Mississippi in this area you would know landowners do not take lightly to trespassers, even if it's accidental from being lost...
qckhd
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:12 am

Not on pools 19 & 20. I'm not a lawyer, but I was involved on the Miss for 25+ years as a fishery biologist. I can tell you, beyond all shadow of a doubt, that that is NOT the way it is on those two pools. Once you drop anchor, you are trespassing. It has been upheld in numerous courts, both state and federal, in Illinois, Iowa and Missouri, some of the people with deep pockets and fancy lawyers...but they still lost.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:47 am

I searched WestLaw and Nexis to find nothing specific to those pools.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting