Snow geese in Southern Illinois

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Snow geese in Southern Illinois

Postby jägare » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Hello All,

This is my first season hunting and my first waterfowl hunt!

I have booked a hunt with 5 coworkers this Saturday for snow geese about 5 miles from the Mississippi River in far southern IL.

I am hoping for a good hunt. We will be hunting in pit blinds with over 1,000 decoys.

Question is, did anyone hunt the opener this last weekend? I heard foul weather had a pretty bad impact.

Any forecast for the hunt this weekend? We are driving up from far northern IL and the guides said we could change the date if necessary.

Wish us luck!
"The chase is among the best of all national pastimes; it cultivates that vigorous manliness for the lack of which in a nation, as in an individual, the possession of no other qualities can possibly atone." - Theodore Roosevelt
jägare
hunter

Re: Snow geese in Southern Illinois

Postby buckwild » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:33 am

Snow is horrible for snows. I would not even question changing the date if they are supposed to get snow. Especially because it seems that the snow goose outfitters in illinois do not move around like the ones in Missouri. It sounds like alot of them just hunt the same pits every day rather than moving their spread.
buckwild
hunter

Postby jägare » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:50 am

buckwild wrote:Snow is horrible for snows. I would not even question changing the date if they are supposed to get snow. Especially because it seems that the snow goose outfitters in illinois do not move around like the ones in Missouri. It sounds like alot of them just hunt the same pits every day rather than moving their spread.

Funny that snow is horrible for snow geese, haha.

Thanks for the reply. The only snow that is expected, is supposed to happen today. No snow up until after we hunt (Saturday) either.

You're right, we are hunting out of a pit blind with something like 1500 or so decoys. We do have the option to move to other fields which are layouts if we aren't seeing anything.

I heard the birds are stacking up down south for the weather to break. I heard this weekend could be great shooting, or nothing.
"The chase is among the best of all national pastimes; it cultivates that vigorous manliness for the lack of which in a nation, as in an individual, the possession of no other qualities can possibly atone." - Theodore Roosevelt
jägare
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Another forum is canceling members hunts for a reason or least giving them the option.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby jägare » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:16 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Another forum is canceling members hunts for a reason or least giving them the option.

Thanks Killer. Could you send that information my way?
jägare
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:25 pm

The best thing to do is communicate with your guide or outfitter. They should be telling you the facts. Flip side, one outfitter has been averaging 80 a day since opener.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby jägare » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:38 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:The best thing to do is communicate with your guide or outfitter. They should be telling you the facts. Flip side, one outfitter has been averaging 80 a day since opener.

Thanks again. Have never hunted with an outiftter or for snows before, so my expectations aren't high, but I don't want to drive across the state if conditions are terrible.

Any questions you would ask if you were in my shoes?

This outfitter is southeast of Carbondale, about 5 miles from the Mississippi, near a refuge.

Also, noticed you used to have an "ad" out for a "sherpa" I think it was, I would be happy to do the grunt work sometime this fall for a spot in the blind for that day.
jägare
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:11 pm

How many birds are in the area? Hunting Snows is a lot of fun. You'll enjoy the time regardless. A lot chase massive numbers. My first Snow hunt we only harvested thirty-nine in four days. The day I left the group shot sixty-six the following day and then ninety-eight the next. Weather conditions are the only major factor to a bust or a record harvest.

Regarding the Sherpa, I shipped a few in from Nepal. One has been doing extremely well. All honesty, if there is an open I never have a problem filling it in if the schedules coincide.
Attachments
Sherpa.jpg
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby jägare » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Just got off the phone with the guide, he said there are around 250k down there now, but they are mature birds that know the game. He recommended that we reschedule for 3 weeks out, in hopes of better chances. I'm looking forward to my first waterfowl hunt and if I go home with one, I'll be real happy.

Now, I may not be Nepalese, but I can work. :lol3: I'm guessing from that statement, you always have Sherpas ready to help out. Or maybe I misunderstood. But I'm in the DeKalb area and if you're missing a sherpa one day, I'd be happy to help. If not, no biggie.

Thanks for the help on here Killer
jägare
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:27 pm

There is your answer. Hope you reschedule the hunt. Don't waste the days hunting because of being over zealous. Postpone it for better odds. The guide knows best.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby icgeese61 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:18 pm

they did a survey on 2-3-14, yep their are alot of snows and blues in s-ill. from the groups that I have been seeing, they are roosting at pyrmid and baldwin, fling out arnd carlyle to feed, then back. This is from the nashville area. when I say groups, I mean as far as the eye can see. hope you bust-em, be a tundra saver
icgeese61
Newb

Postby jägare » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:28 pm

icgeese61 wrote:they did a survey on 2-3-14, yep their are alot of snows and blues in s-ill. from the groups that I have been seeing, they are roosting at pyrmid and baldwin, fling out arnd carlyle to feed, then back. This is from the nashville area. when I say groups, I mean as far as the eye can see. hope you bust-em, be a tundra saver

Thanks for the information.

One of the guys wasn't able to reschedule, so it looks like we are going this weekend. Hopefully it works out for the best. Either way, it will be a day spent out in the field, better than at work, haha :yes:
jägare
hunter

Postby gooseslayingfool » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:01 pm

who did u book with?
gooseslayingfool
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 am

If I was booking a snow goose hunt it sure wouldn't be in southern Illinois. They are murdering them in the Bootheel of Mo just south of Portageville and between Caruthersville and Kennett.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 am

I'm curious...why did you choose to wait for snow geese to start your waterfowl endeavor?
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby jägare » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 am

DuckinFool wrote:If I was booking a snow goose hunt it sure wouldn't be in southern Illinois. They are murdering them in the Bootheel of Mo just south of Portageville and between Caruthersville and Kennett.

Next year for sure. This was only six hours from my house and the guide fees were pretty cheap compared to MO.
jägare
hunter

Postby jägare » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:53 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I'm curious...why did you choose to wait for snow geese to start your waterfowl endeavor?

I am a new hunter this year. I had been pheasant hunting all November - January and when the season ended, I wanted to continue hunting. Thought this would be a good way to continue the season and hopefully put some meat in the freezer. The guides were cheap as well haha.

I know no one who waterfowls, and I'm in Northern IL myself, so if you wanted to take me along and show me the ropes, that would be awesome! :biggrin:

Also, just as a note, was talking to my great uncle about snow goose hunting. He remembers a time when the snow goose hunt was drawn by a permit in Wisconsin. Just for one snow goose! Crazy to think how times have changed.
jägare
hunter

Postby gooseslayingfool » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 am

warning 2 all u yankees. we have some "outfitters" operating down here that are not what You think. The nice websites doesnt tell the REAL story. The 1 is even on You tube saying this is the field we will hunt tommorrow. Its a private member only field.So Be very carefull with who You lay Your hard eaned cash down to.
gooseslayingfool
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:47 am

gooseslayingfool wrote:warning 2 all u yankees. we have some "outfitters" operating down here that are not what You think. The nice websites doesnt tell the REAL story. The 1 is even on You tube saying this is the field we will hunt tommorrow. Its a private member only field.So Be very carefull with who You lay Your hard eaned cash down to.

You mind sharing in a PM to the "yankees"?
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 am

jägare wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I'm curious...why did you choose to wait for snow geese to start your waterfowl endeavor?

I am a new hunter this year. I had been pheasant hunting all November - January and when the season ended, I wanted to continue hunting. Thought this would be a good way to continue the season and hopefully put some meat in the freezer. The guides were cheap as well haha.

I know no one who waterfowls, and I'm in Northern IL myself, so if you wanted to take me along and show me the ropes, that would be awesome! :biggrin:

Also, just as a note, was talking to my great uncle about snow goose hunting. He remembers a time when the snow goose hunt was drawn by a permit in Wisconsin. Just for one snow goose! Crazy to think how times have changed.

Tell us about yourself. There are a lot of guys from Northern IL, and several from your immediate area on this site that might be willing to show you the ropes if they know what you're bringing to the table.

Most guys start asking right before the season starts, but you're got a whole off season to get in good with someone.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby jägare » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:47 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
gooseslayingfool wrote:warning 2 all u yankees. we have some "outfitters" operating down here that are not what You think. The nice websites doesnt tell the REAL story. The 1 is even on You tube saying this is the field we will hunt tommorrow. Its a private member only field.So Be very carefull with who You lay Your hard eaned cash down to.

You mind sharing in a PM to the "yankees"?

Please share with me as well.
jägare
hunter

Postby jägare » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:54 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jägare wrote:

Tell us about yourself. There are a lot of guys from Northern IL, and several from your immediate area on this site that might be willing to show you the ropes if they know what you're bringing to the table.

Most guys start asking right before the season starts, but you're got a whole off season to get in good with someone.

I am in my late 20's. Proud father of a 6 month old. Work as a cost estimator for an aluminum company.

This has been my first season hunting and I am looking forward to many more.

I do have family that hunt, only timber goats and gobblers though. Am going on my first turkey hunt end of April, excited for that.

I live around the DeKalb area. I have been doing drive by and google scouting within a 30-40 mile radius. I plan on talking to some farmers and other landowners when the weather breaks to ask for permission. I have read here that permission can be difficult, but I'm definitely going to try.

I'm hoping that by starting early, I can have a great season lined up for this upcoming fall/winter.
jägare
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 pm

jägare wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jägare wrote:

I am in my late 20's. Proud father of a 6 month old. Work as a cost estimator for an aluminum company.

I do have family that hunt, only timber goats and gobblers though. Am going on my first turkey hunt end of April, excited for that.

I live around the DeKalb area. I have been doing drive by and google scouting within a 30-40 mile radius. I plan on talking to some farmers and other landowners when the weather breaks to ask for permission. I have read here that permission can be difficult, but I'm definitely going to try.

I'm hoping that by starting early, I can have a great season lined up for this upcoming fall/winter.

:thumbsup:
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:57 pm

jägare wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jägare wrote:

Turkeys eh! I kind of like killing turkeys myself. When season gets closer, we can talk a lot about turkey hunting :thumbsup: As far as asking permission, use your head. Don't show up when the farmers are going a thousand miles a minute in the fields, unless the opportunity is there to jump in and help! Think about ways to trade out your hunting, chores, work, aluminum(hint) and you will have decent luck. There can be some decent snow goose hunting down here, but there are better spots. I would offer but I don't own where I hunt snows. We are putting out the spread Saturday, about 1200 full bodies and floaters worth. Good luck and dress warm this weekend!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jägare » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:05 pm

Cujo1 wrote:
jägare wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jägare wrote:

Turkeys eh! I kind of like killing turkeys myself. When season gets closer, we can talk a lot about turkey hunting :thumbsup: As far as asking permission, use your head. Don't show up when the farmers are going a thousand miles a minute in the fields, unless the opportunity is there to jump in and help! Think about ways to trade out your hunting, chores, work, aluminum(hint) and you will have decent luck. There can be some decent snow goose hunting down here, but there are better spots. I would offer but I don't own where I hunt snows. We are putting out the spread Saturday, about 1200 full bodies and floaters worth. Good luck and dress warm this weekend!

Turkey talk sounds good. This will be my first time hunting them, so I am excited.

Thanks for the advice about asking for permission. We manufacture a grain chute for John Deere here, we also do a lot of fabrication and painting for John Deere, I never thought of using that to my advantage when asking for permission :hammer:

Also, if you know of anything else a farmer would have use for aluminum for, let me know please!

Good luck to you too this weekend! I'll post pictures from my hunt on here and a write up.
jägare
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting