Snow geese in Southern Illinois

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Re: Snow geese in Southern Illinois

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm

jägare wrote:Next year for sure. This was only six hours from my house and the guide fees were pretty cheap compared to MO.

I think you will find out why the fees are cheap once you arrive here.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 pm

How did the hunt go Jagar?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jägare » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Cujo1 wrote:How did the hunt go Jagar?

Thanks for asking cujo. Got postponed till march 1St ultimately. Talked the holdout into it. I'll do a writeup if you're interested

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
"The chase is among the best of all national pastimes; it cultivates that vigorous manliness for the lack of which in a nation, as in an individual, the possession of no other qualities can possibly atone." - Theodore Roosevelt
jägare
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Be glad you waited we went to arkansas yesterday only saw 4 flocks managed 41 one band bird was banded in 2004. Id say hes been to arkansas a few times. Things will get good next week.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby jägare » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:37 pm

BuckCreek wrote:Be glad you waited we went to arkansas yesterday only saw 4 flocks managed 41 one band bird was banded in 2004. Id say hes been to arkansas a few times. Things will get good next week.

Happy I waited. Sounds like you did ok though. Congratulations on your banded bird!

"The chase is among the best of all national pastimes; it cultivates that vigorous manliness for the lack of which in a nation, as in an individual, the possession of no other qualities can possibly atone." - Theodore Roosevelt
jägare
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm

jägare wrote:

Thanks for asking cujo. Got postponed till march 1St ultimately. Talked the holdout into it. I'll do a writeup if you're interested

I'm always interested in reading a good write up :thumbsup:
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:42 pm

BuckCreek wrote:Be glad you waited we went to arkansas yesterday only saw 4 flocks managed 41 one band bird was banded in 2004. Id say hes been to arkansas a few times. Things will get good next week.

Congratulations on the band! :beer:
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby jägare » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:42 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jägare wrote:

I'll do my best. Only 17 more days, but who's counting haha
jägare
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:39 am

jägare wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jägare wrote:

Ha! The days will become longer as it gets closer...
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Jbenishek » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:14 am

Pretty sure I'm going to the same place tmrw, as your talkin about. I'll keep you update. Weather is looking pretty good for this weekend. 3 day hunt can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jbenishek
hunter

Postby jägare » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:07 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jägare wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jägare wrote:

Ha! The days will become longer as it gets closer...

They already are! 16 days is feeling like forever right now
jägare
hunter

Postby jägare » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:10 am

Jbenishek wrote:Pretty sure I'm going to the same place tmrw, as your talkin about. I'll keep you update. Weather is looking pretty good for this weekend. 3 day hunt can't wait!

Good luck this weekend! Weather is starting to warm up. Looking forward to the update. With a 3 day hunt, you should definitely get some birds. I'm hunting in Union County by the way.
jägare
hunter

Postby Jbenishek » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:10 am

We had a blast but didn't get into the birds to good. We saw an unbelievable amount of snow and they would come and take a look but never finish. Way to many adult birds. Next weekend is looking really good for you, and as we were leaving tons of migrators were flying in! Just are luck ha

Jbenishek
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:23 am

^^excuses excuses....
Rhock19
hunter

Postby jägare » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:27 am

Jbenishek wrote:We had a blast but didn't get into the birds to good. We saw an unbelievable amount of snow and they would come and take a look but never finish. Way to many adult birds. Next weekend is looking really good for you, and as we were leaving tons of migrators were flying in! Just are luck ha

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the bag you were hoping for. I'm hoping to at least see a ton of geese even if we don't get into them like we want to.

We're leaving next Friday, I'll make sure to post an update with pics!
jägare
hunter

Postby Jbenishek » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 am

Like i said it was still a blast! We still pulled down some birds. The lodge you stay at is the coolest cabin iv seen. Great food, people and plenty of beer! I would be really surprised if you didn't hammer the birds!

Jbenishek
hunter

Postby jägare » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Jbenishek wrote:Like i said it was still a blast! We still pulled down some birds. The lodge you stay at is the coolest cabin iv seen. Great food, people and plenty of beer! I would be really surprised if you didn't hammer the birds!

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the cabin and knocking back a few beers.

Cant wait to get to the hunt
jägare
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 pm

Their loaded in NE Arkansas should be getting good in S IL. Lot better trip today shot 172. We saw well over 30000
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby jägare » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 am

BuckCreek wrote:Their loaded in NE Arkansas should be getting good in S IL. Lot better trip today shot 172. We saw well over 30000

WOW. 172. That is crazy. I heard making jerky or sausage is the most common way to eat them. What do you do?
jägare
hunter

Postby fullbored » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 am

Decoing or ditch hogging? Either way nice
fullbored
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:38 am

We just jump them since we only have one day trip and it increases success not being limited to one field. We had one flock yesterday that we killed 118 out of 6 guys. We have guy that makes sausage out of geese so they dont go to waste.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Union Co is down to 1000 snows....Horseshoe 4800.....Cache 4000.......Carilyle and Keck's Marsh have around 1,300,000. :eek:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby gooseslayingfool » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Based on what i have bseen thats more than i would have guessed. But hey the outfitters are still taking yankee suckers money. If i was going to pay in il i would be looking at carlyle. They get larger numbers and hold them longer. If we are lucky we will get 2 weeks. This year we got 2 days. Carlyle will get 3 plus weeks.
gooseslayingfool
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting