First full season of waterfowl hunting in books

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

First full season of waterfowl hunting in books

Postby ngh9bc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:21 pm

and I have to say that now that it's over, I feel like next year's season is just never going to come… Spending way too much money on new waders, a goose call to learn for the off season, and in the market for decoys.

Our season as a whole was decent and in my book, extremely productive. I got hooked up with several very good people across Southern Illinois and throughout the season, and I learned a lot. I hunted a lot of public land, but also was lucky enough to get in on several good hunts with a friend on some private land.

Season started off slow with a teal or two a day and maybe a local goose occasionally, but then just ahead of a cold front on the Friday before season went out, it was on for BWT. I had never seen anything like it in my life and I won't forget anytime soon. A 4 man limit in less than 2 hours!

When duck season finally rolled around, we hunted a lot of public land spots including Rend Lake and had mixed results. We never had a complete knock out day, but we consistently took home ducks. I learned a few things about public hunting and about Rend Lake hunting, so while my partners likely saw it as a fail, I think it was definitely a success.

Once duck season came to an end, geese arrived and boy did they pile in as the first REAL cold started to ease and central IL picked up snow. I hunted with a friend on some private land and we had 4 canadas and a speck in under 2 hours.

I can't wait until next year and I hope to meet some more great people. I can't thank those enough that have taken me under their wing, no pun intended, and started me in on this strange addiction and I look forward to learning more with time and experience and one day pass it along.
ngh9bc
hunter

Re: First full season of waterfowl hunting in books

Postby riverrat85 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Congrats. The passion for the sport only gets worse the more you do it. There isnt enough money you can make to fund it. Rend hunting can be frustrating. Sounds like a good year.
riverrat85
hunter

Postby click » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:23 am

[quote="riverrat85"]Congrats. The passion for the sport only gets worse the more you do it. There isnt enough money you can make to fund it. Rend hunting can be frustrating. Sounds like a good year.[/quote
I'll second that, the more you do it the more expensive it gets.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Tall Timber
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby SHOTOUT17 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:06 am

It sure is fun thou ! :hammer:
SHOTOUT17
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:46 pm

If your really looking for a goose call all I can say is stick with a short reed call and practice a lot. It can get addicting.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting