Boat advice

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Boat advice

Postby click » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Ok I'm looking at picking up a boat to hunt out of next season. I will probably spend the majority of time hunting the lower two thirds of your state, looking like it will be all public ground as well.
I have saved up enough to pickup a Momarsh or an EBADS with a motor. I know there is no perfect all around boat out there and this would perty much be a hunting only boat. i have enough saved up to pick up two momarsh's, tow one behind the other to carry more gear or another hunter.(just a thought) Could a guy get away with hunting out of a little one man layout or marsh style boat in the lower half of the state without being very limited on where he could use it? Ideally I will eventually get a 18 footer with a mud motor and a pair of layouts, but until i win the lottery i'll have to pick one or save for the other. I have hunted out of the momarsh before and really loved it, but it has it's limitations. I just don't want to end up kicking myself for being too limited on where i could use it. Is it crazy to be planning this out already when i still have 28 days till i get there LOL.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Tall Timber
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Re: Boat advice

Postby riverrat47 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:06 am

Buddy, the lower 2/3 of Illinois covers a LOT of different types of water. Be more site specific. If I had to be anywhere near the main channel of the Miss or Illinois rivers, I would say 16'/25hp-MINMUM, definitely bigger as you travel downstream. I'm sure the Carlyle and Rend guys would have recommendations if those lakes are on your agenda.
Personally, I've hunted the Miss, above Quincy, for years with a 16' Jon and 25 hp, and rarely felt in danger. However, I've also paid very close attention to the weather, and there have been times that I went back home without even launching.
Cold water and a swamped boat is often deadly. Your choice of watercraft is no place to skimp. Spend all you can afford and then some.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:21 am

riverrat47 wrote:Buddy, the lower 2/3 of Illinois covers a LOT of different types of water. Be more site specific. If I had to be anywhere near the main channel of the Miss or Illinois rivers, I would say 16'/25hp-MINMUM, definitely bigger as you travel downstream. I'm sure the Carlyle and Rend guys would have recommendations if those lakes are on your agenda.
Personally, I've hunted the Miss, above Quincy, for years with a 16' Jon and 25 hp, and rarely felt in danger. However, I've also paid very close attention to the weather, and there have been times that I went back home without even launching.
Cold water and a swamped boat is often deadly. Your choice of watercraft is no place to skimp. Spend all you can afford and then some.

Agreed. Just a little skeptical on a 16ft/25hp. Used one last two years and will never go back after purchasing my 1860 grizzly with a 45. When winds are blowing 25+ crossing the channel in pool 16 doesn't get more nail biting than being in a 16 footer. Any smaller and you've just got a death wish.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby qckhd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 am

This is one instance where bigger is better! Although I am hunt north of your stated area and on smaller lakes I would never use anything smaller than a 16' but prefer 18' boat!
qckhd
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:36 pm

I would keep saving for exactly what you want and not settle for less.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby click » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Well that's a little disapointing. I had figured with all the public water down there it wouldn't be to tough to find some more protected area's to hunt with a smaller layout or marsh boat. I agree that there is no way i would even attempt to hunt the big waters with an EBADS. But after reading reviews on them i think it would be an excellent boat for smaller rivers or protected larger bodies of water and marshs.
I grew up fishing milford lake in kansas, so i know all about things going to crap in a hurry on big water. I have no intention of trying to hunt the mississippi (or any other big rivers) without partnering up with someone who knows the river for few years first. Going out into big water during the winter uprepaired is how you become a statistic.
I am sick and tired of having to carry all my gear in on my back. I may need to re-evaluate my boat choices when i get there. It sounds like i may need to meet up with someone this summer and go out after some cats and talk about the area over a cold one.
Matt,
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:01 pm

I believe that one of the lakes down there is perfect for a layout or sneak boat.

I have no experience with the area, but I think Rend and/or Caryle would fit what you're looking for.

I think the big boat guys are talking about the Mississippi for the most part.

Hopefully someone in the area or on base will be able to help you out with details...

Good luck!
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Fowl Behavior Outdoors » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 pm

I hunt in southern Illinois in all types of water out of the ebads. Started with a Momarsh which had to many limitations for the water I hunted and the ebads solved these issues.
Fowl Behavior Outdoors
hunter

Postby rism » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 am

Hard to give you specific advise for that area. There are all sorts of possibilities and over 50 yrs of hunting I've covered most if not all of them. Rend has walk in, small boat areas and then big water areas that can get you in real trouble w/ the wind. Carlyle has impoundment walk in (when they get corn planted). Small areas you can get too w/ a small boat but main lake can be like Rend in the wind. Kaskaskia River SFWA runs almost the entire length from below Carlyle dam to Mississippi river. Tons of waterfowl hunting w/ 16 to 20 ft boat & 25hp motor. Hopefully you can get to know some local hunters. Scout Scout Scout.
rism
hunter

Postby brickgw » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 am

If your wanting to put a mud motor on an 18 ft boat make sure you get the right boat/motor combo...mud motors like mud boats. Right now I have a 36 HP Pro Drive on an 1860 Lowe Husky Jon and I'm already shopping for a different boat. They just don't carry decoys and gear like an outboard on regular Jon boats. Make sure and do some research beforehand.
brickgw
hunter

Postby click » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Had looked at a Carlyle and rend already, as well as the K river. I do have some more questions but I'll pm a few of you guys to pick your brains. I already used the search function and found some of the answers i was looking for. Don't worry I'm not trying to be an internet scouter, and have no intentions of moving into anyones spot. Thanks for the help again.
Matt,
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby riverrat85 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Its hard to find one boat to meet the entire southern part of the state for water fowling. I have 2 boats already and am shopping for another (my wife will kill me). I cannot find a boat to meet every standard for each spot I hunt/fish. Different size is needed and motor restrictions don't help neither. My yards starting to look like a boat dealership. Lol good luck basically make you u don't get one too small for the water you will be on.
riverrat85
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting