Spring Migration

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Spring Migration

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:12 am

Finally under way. Seeing large flocks of Canadas back on residential ponds and piling up in fields I never seen them in before. Yesterday, saw 100 Mallards eating in a parking lot off Harlem and 159th.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Re: Spring Migration

Postby TJP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:17 am

I saw a bunch of larger flights of Canadas up high this morning. I also saw a smaller group of Sandhills while ice fishing yesterday up near Loon Lake. Saturday I watched an all white duck hang out with a bunch of mallards in Mchenry off of the 120 bridge. It was walking around on the ice and swimming with the mallards so I figured it was a domestic duck, but it got up and flew around with the mallards, and came back with them so now I'm not sure what it was. Certainly not a seagul or snowgoose. I didn't have my camera with me so no pictures, but it was pretty dang cool to see.
TJP
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:24 pm

I can't wait for ponds to unlock here. I'm ready for woodies and mallards to come back to our flooded timber pond at the farm. I'm planning on getting trail cam pics this year.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Post em up when you get then.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:25 pm

I will. Is it legal to bait ducks in the spring to get pictures. Because its my understanding that its not baiting unless you hunt it.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 am

I wouldn't see why not. I bait ducks even during season with moldy bread, so wouldn't see why it's illegal to out of season.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:12 pm

I had about 500 snows fly low over the house yesterday. Couple miles south of the Illinois River in Morris, I got in the expedition and followed them for about 5 miles west hoping they were going to set down. It was pretty awesome, wish we got the birds here like they do in southern illinois and missouri. Been seeing a lot of big flocks of Canadas also.
1quacker
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:59 am

I've seen flocks of snows during regular season(20+). Been looking for some recently but no dice.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby nanook72 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:34 pm

I've seen tons of geese and the mallards on the pond behind my house. Can't wait to get some pictures this spring!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
nanook72
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:43 pm

the birds on braidwood right now are quite impressive i wish the amount of redheads and specks there would show up sometime during season its really fun to watch while pulling giant largmouth out of the water thats for sure.
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby little goose » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:33 pm

I live in a waterfowl desert and there is a couple thousand snows with a couple hundred mallards and pintails sitting in a local creek about a mile from my house. Never seen anything like it around here. Makes for some fun evenings watching them.
little goose
hunter

Postby berganser » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Saw nice groups of Mallards this morning up until about 10:30am
Geese flying around to w/ some flocks of Specks
Hey, Let's go Huntin'!!
Committed Custom Calls! Try one out!!
berganser
hunter

Spring Migration

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Driving through Bolingbrook today going to Weathertech saw my first Canada nest for the year. Ice was still on the pond and park district already fenced her little domain off.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Seen some snows, specks, buffleheads, spoonies, cranes, and about a bazillion mallards and canadians today. Just east of freeport in flooded cornfields. Pretty unusual for this neck of the woods. Wish it was hunting season. :sad:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:48 am

Boocephus wrote:Seen some snows, specks, buffleheads, spoonies, cranes, and about a bazillion mallards and canadians today. Just east of freeport in flooded cornfields. Pretty unusual for this neck of the woods. Wish it was hunting season. :sad:

It is for snows :yes:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:54 am

Pool 16 covered with ducks and geese. Snows, specks, Canadian, mallards, gwt, pintail, bufflehead, gads, scaup, spoons, merganser, and a ton of pelicans. Probably jumped 3000 ducks in our slough going to pull blind.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:54 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Boocephus wrote:Seen some snows, specks, buffleheads, spoonies, cranes, and about a bazillion mallards and canadians today. Just east of freeport in flooded cornfields. Pretty unusual for this neck of the woods. Wish it was hunting season. :sad:

Boy, what a dumarse, I completely forgot it was still ok to shoot snows. :no:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Snows are one of those things that are pretty dang hard to hunt unless you have a lot of money invested in decoys and callers. Not something the average weekend warrior can usually go after. Wish they were easier to decoy though!
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Boocephus wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Snows seem to be one of those things that are pretty dang hard to hunt unless you have a lot of money invested in decoys and callers. Not something the average weekend warrior can usually go after. Wish they were easier to decoy though!
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 pm

luie b wrote:
Boocephus wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Snows seem to be one of those things that are pretty dang hard to hunt unless you have a lot of money invested in decoys and callers. Not something the average weekend warrior can usually go after. Wish they were easier to decoy though!

The sneak and ground pound approach doesn't take a lot of money. I've never done it, but I'm thinking about giving it a try next year, probably in Nebraska.

As far as decoying, I go with a guide. Between decoys, callers, blinds, etc., I'll bet there is $10k to $20k worth of gear in the field.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting