building a blind on backwaters of Miss River

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

building a blind on backwaters of Miss River

Postby JYduckhead » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:55 pm

I have just finalized a lease on the Mississippi River. It has 20+ acres of backwater with it. Would a floating blind be better or should I build a stilt blind? If I build a stilt blind how high of the water should I build it? Never hunted the Mississippi just wonder what would be best. looking for any info. This is private land so blind can be permanent. Thanks you for your time and input.
JYduckhead
hunter

Re: building a blind on backwaters of Miss River

Postby justinduckman7 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Depends on where on miss ? Have to take in consideration spring flooding is coming so wait till it floods then go look and see what you have when water is high ? Pm for and ????
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby qckhd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:39 pm

If it were me I would build a floater to accommodate for water level fluxuation plus if your original anchor spot is not ideal you can pull anchor and move to a better location within the property...
qckhd
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:53 am

We've always built stilt blinds on pool 16 backwaters 2 feet off water and put in 3 weeks before teal season to have best idea on where the water level will be. It's always been installed so we could pull 15 bolts and it comes right apart making it easy to remove at the end of each season to avoid floods. Only concern with leaving a floating blind during flood season is fallen trees especially in backwaters.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:01 pm

A boat blind is pretty mobile and lets you go to the birds. If you have never hunted the area before I would try to stay mobile. I wouldn't want to be chained to one fixed blind. Not with different winds and hunting one area thru the season. I like to be able to change locations quickly if I need to. Moving after being set-up off the x has saved a lot of days for me through the years.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:01 am

Unless you have it scouted out and patterned, I'd wait to see where the ducks are.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:23 pm

noweil wrote:A boat blind is pretty mobile and lets you go to the birds. If you have never hunted the area before I would try to stay mobile. I wouldn't want to be chained to one fixed blind. Not with different winds and hunting one area thru the season. I like to be able to change locations quickly if I need to. Moving after being set-up off the x has saved a lot of days for me through the years.

If ^^^this^^^ is an option, i'd say try this first. From everyone I know that uses floating blinds, they all seem to agree that they are a real PITA.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting