Rockdale, IL. Brandon road damn?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Rockdale, IL. Brandon road damn?

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:57 pm

During my travels today, drove by this location and had to stop and watch the waterfowl.

What's the scoop with the blinds on the water shed on the south side of the dams, on brandon road?

Must be some grandfathered in or something as they seem close to town?

Could they be part of the the des plaines hunting area and part of the draw?

Lots of birds and blinds in a consentrated area, shallow water, all blinds up on stilts, saw a couple on the shoreline.

Just looked pretty nice.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Rockdale, IL. Brandon road damn?

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:16 am

The guys are really friendly there. :thumbsup: Its not part of the DCA.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:38 am

biscuitsandgravy wrote:The guys are really friendly there. :thumbsup: Its not part of the DCA.

That can't be, your pulling my leg?

Blinds, perfect location, Illinois , close to homes , come on now! They all look like walk in spots, easy to access.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:10 am

I too have seen them I was wondering the same thing.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 am

Sorry guys they are private. Have a good family that owns one. Helped him work on it but I've never hunted it. Many have pad locks on the doors :rolleyes:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:59 am

One of them is in shambles, and just a floor.
Mike657
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:06 am

Grandfathered in. A few have keys. Highly pressured area. Sometimes not even worth the hunt. Everyone going after the same birds out of the quarry.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 am

Weedwacker- Never hunted up there, a few guys I know did once.I didn't feel like going to jail because someone wanted to show me how much of a badass they think they are. Its a surprise they are still standing. I know of one that got washed downstream a few years ago due to flooding.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:58 am

I have not been down that way since October, but I remember seeing just a duckblind floor on stilts. First hand from fishing around that area is that the water level changes so fast with the loch right there. Let alone a flood could completely demolish one of the blinds. It looks like good duck water though being shallow with the weed beds. Since the Des Plains river water is so polluted it barely ever thoroughly freezes in that area. It might have though with this winter. Like i said I have not gotten out there since October. My brother caught severel gar, fishing on the bank on the right of the bridge. On one occasion his friend caught a 36 inch pike there.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Well, I have witness a ton of birds there during early and late season, for the last 4 years.

During the week, never saw a hunter, can't comment on the weekends.

Well, it's Illinois and just weird... Locks on blinds on non private land. Not going there, just weird.

Have a good safe summer everyone.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:53 pm

if they arent locked you can "jump" them but not worth the hassle if you ask me terrible hunters in my opinion if they all would work together in any way they could have phenomonal hunting but even on week days when no ones there if you jump a blind which i have done numerous times its a pain in the butt alot of crap in the water to tear waders on if the currents running good luck getting birds if you care about your dog its not an option. i kill alot of birds off that quarry fortunate enough to have a field to the south east of there good boat blind you can set up at the far end away from the crazies and do pretty well but w barges and current in n out of the locks its not an easy or safe hunt half of the time
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 pm

This "public" spot will be shut down in season to come. It's fun watching the birds, but a PITA to hunt.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting