Anyone Know a Good Place to Find Water Temps on Mississippi

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Anyone Know a Good Place to Find Water Temps on Mississippi

Postby luie b » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:24 pm

I don't have a fishfinder or anything like that when I fish but I'd like to track the river temperatures of the Mississippi so I can have a better idea of when all the better fishing weather will come along. I've google searched it a lot but can never find anywhere that has it except the local news which I never watch. Anybody know?
luie b
hunter

Re: Anyone Know a Good Place to Find Water Temps on Mississi

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm

luie b wrote:I've google searched it a lot but can never find anywhere that has it except the local news which I never watch. Anybody know?

Well, Luie, you did answer your own question. :huh:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 pm

If its the fish finder it ain't happening and I've Google searched it and not found anything. I'm just wanting to track the crappie and catfish spawn

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:13 pm

I was referring to the news. You answered your own question.

But, here you go. You'll need to navigate the site, but the data is there. Basic math will help.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Go to rivergages.com
For your area, go to the Rock Island District on the dropdown on the left.
Then, Mississippi & Passes.
Go down to Mississippi L&D 19. There will be two listed. Go to the bottom one. It will say something about MET. That will give you the temperature, at least along the lock wall.
Most sites that have an asterisk to the left of the postings will have more information...like forecast on river stages. I think all sites that have (...MET...) have temperature data.

Many of the river systems and many Corps of Engineers reservoir information is available on this site.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Thankyou RR it says we're right around 40 right now (in Quincy) but I believe we were a little warmer than that a few days ago til that cold spell. I don't live in Hamilton anymore I live in Quincy most of the time but I still go home to pool 19 at least a day every week or so. I've started catfishing in Quincy already in some of the shallow stuff on the bay just because of boredom when I don't have class at Quincy U and I've got 2 cats so far one baby channel and a 10" channel. Catfishing when this water's this cold isn't exciting to say the least you might get a bite every hour and when it happens it's very very light. I hope I can get my kayak out into there in a few weeks to try and put down some crappie!
luie b
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting