Blindside and Blackclouds choke tube?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Blindside and Blackclouds choke tube?

Postby 2takem » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:49 am

I got a couple of boxes of shells for xmas from family and have seen choke tubes specfically for each the Blindeside and Blackclouds. Question is I run a mid-range patternmaster now, Is it ok to run these shells through the mid range patternmaster or is the Blindside and blackcloud designed choke tubes a marketing scam...........any help would be great! Thanks guys.

If all else fails the winchester hi-velocity shells work just fine for me for over decoys.
2takem
hunter

Re: Blindside and Blackclouds choke tube?

Postby justinduckman7 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:20 pm

I don't think you can run them in your tubes. Look at patternmaster website will tell you on their . I know the two I run the long range and extended range you can't run either of them loads and says nothing over 1500 or 1550 fps.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:31 am

the petals of the wads on these two shells can caused them to get stuck in some of the aftermarket ported tubes. If you fire with a stuck wad you have a pipe bomb in your hand...no dice.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby 2takem » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks Guys! After looking at the website I found in there where it stats to use the specfic choke tubes for those shells.
2takem
hunter

Postby BDW » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:54 pm

SPatrick wrote:the petals of the wads on these two shells can caused them to get stuck in some of the aftermarket ported tubes. If you fire with a stuck wad you have a pipe bomb in your hand...no dice.

Would this be a problem with ported barrels also?
BDW
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 am

Check out Carson chokes. Allow you to shoot black cloud and great spreads!

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:03 am

BDW wrote:
SPatrick wrote:the petals of the wads on these two shells can caused them to get stuck in some of the aftermarket ported tubes. If you fire with a stuck wad you have a pipe bomb in your hand...no dice.

Dont know for certain...I would guess that those two wouldnt mix that well.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:13 pm

I've used black cloud for the past 3 years with the Carlson mid and long range chokes out of a moss 935 and have had excellent patterns. I shoot the high velocity 3" #3 for duck and snow goose 3 1/2" BB for honkers. You can use any choke that works best for you as long as it's not ported and/or a wad stripping choke.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby BDW » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:45 am

QuackSmacker935 wrote:I've used black cloud for the past 3 years with the Carlson mid and long range chokes out of a moss 935 and have had excellent patterns. I shoot the high velocity 3" #3 for duck and snow goose 3 1/2" BB for honkers. You can use any choke that works best for you as long as it's not ported and/or a wad stripping choke.

Is your barrel ported?
BDW
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:15 pm

BDW wrote:
QuackSmacker935 wrote:I've used black cloud for the past 3 years with the Carlson mid and long range chokes out of a moss 935 and have had excellent patterns. I shoot the high velocity 3" #3 for duck and snow goose 3 1/2" BB for honkers. You can use any choke that works best for you as long as it's not ported and/or a wad stripping choke.

Is your barrel ported?

No its not.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:16 pm

BDW wrote:

Spoke with a Black Cloud tech over lunch today about the ported barrel concerns. He said you can shoot flight control wads out of a ported barrel or choke, BUT you will consistently have inconsistent patterns due to it damaging the back end of the wad. So it can be done but not recommended.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting