Duck Hunting Forum banner

Marshall State Fish and Wildlife Area

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  grwteal 
#1 ·
Hey, I just moved down to the Peoria area and I was driving up rt 29 when I saw the Marshall Waterfowl unit (IDNR public land). Does anyone have information about this place? I already looked at the DNR fact sheet. I am more curious about the ease of grabbing a blind after owners don't show up. I used to spend most of my time snagging blinds at the Chain O Lakes, I have never not gotten one, I am curious if anyone does this at Marshall. Also. if anyone is looking for a hunting partner down near Peoria I got a whole mess of decoys, a boat, and call pretty well. I have hunted down there and know of other spots but I like to have lots of options. Thanks for any help guys.

#2 ·
Never hunted Marshall personally but I hear its a pretty kickass spot. I can understand why it would be too. You need a mud motor to hunt it because it's so shallow (which is why I never hunt it). The guys I talked to that hunted it said same rules apply as anywhere, if the blind owner doesn't come after half hour then it's fair game

#4 ·
Kickass is only relevant to the individual hunter. Some guys kill 2 spoonies and think they had a great hunt. Some guys just get to see ducks and think they had a great day. All depends on what you are looking for. If I can get out to hunt, see some ducks and geese, and maybe get a chance to shoot one or two (preferably mallards), then I have had a GREAT DAY. But @ 65 every day I get to go is great!!!!!!!!!!!! :grooving: :grooving:

#7 ·
What you saw from 29 was prob the sparland unit (which is part of marshall waterfowl unit). At sparland You have to be at blind a half hr before shooting time if you are the blind builder to claim your blind. If your not there to claim it goes to whoever gets there. The actual Marshall unit is south of Lacon down rt 26. At marshall there is a shack everybody meets in to do the daily draw. If you are a blind builder you have to be there before the draw (which is an hr before shooting time) to claim your blind. the blinds that aren't claimed go to daily draw. Woodford is south of marshall and is run the same way as marshall. Woodford is usually the better place to hunt but is the hardest to get into. Marshall and sparland are a lot easier to get decent blinds during the week. If you don't have a mudmotor marshall has some channel blinds that are available but they aren't usually to hot until the lakes start freezing. If you have a mudmotor I would choose marsahll over sparland any day. Thay all can be pretty good depending on the weather and amount of birds down. If you have any more questions about these 3 places don't be afraid to ask or call the site manager, he is a nice guy and runs all 3.

#9 ·
also look into the Duck ranch unit its can be pretty good this year they are trying to get feed in there which should really help alot its an easy hunt put in the river at henry cross the river and the furthest blind is about 3/4 mile down river park the boat and about a 50-70 yard walk in ive had a few great hunts in there and a couple blue bird days but it is by permit and from my experience 5 blinds 5 permits 4 days a week every time i have gone its been me and possibly one other permit holder there. blinds are built well you can enter the draw after the permit holders draw and it seems that there is always an open blind but i suggest do not mess with blind G its a dissapointment drawing is the same buliding as the marshall unit so you could probably choose one or the other once you got there in the morning and saw some numbers from previous days

#10 ·
redneckgoosebuster22 said:
also look into the Duck ranch unit its can be pretty good this year they are trying to get feed in there which should really help alot its an easy hunt put in the river at henry cross the river and the furthest blind is about 3/4 mile down river park the boat and about a 50-70 yard walk in ive had a few great hunts in there and a couple blue bird days but it is by permit and from my experience 5 blinds 5 permits 4 days a week every time i have gone its been me and possibly one other permit holder there. blinds are built well you can enter the draw after the permit holders draw and it seems that there is always an open blind but i suggest do not mess with blind G its a dissapointment drawing is the same buliding as the marshall unit so you could probably choose one or the other once you got there in the morning and saw some numbers from previous days
Really both are in the same building? That is extremely convenient. I will be there then. How deep is the water? I heard shallow. I have a 14 ft jon with outboard tilted i can clear 2ft of water.

#11 ·
Ya both marshall and duck ranch draw in same building. Duck ranch is only hunted on tues, thurs, sat, and sundays. Duck ranch is all walk in. drive to parking lot and walk or pull boat to henry ramp and motor across river and walk in. The water at marshall is real shallow. With low water and north winds were lucky to have 2'' of water outside the ditch from the boat ramp. some blinds aren't huntable in those conditions. An outboard wouldn't do ya much good at marshall unless water is up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.