Registering a Boat

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Registering a Boat

Postby luie b » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:19 pm

I just got in my title for my new boat's title and the title for the trailer. So far I've got my trailer title transferred and my new plate and all that good stuff for it. Now I have to complete my boat registration and do the tax form for the boat which I bought from an auction. My first question is I'm confused about the fees that go with registering. I understand I have to pay the one to the DNR which was like $60 and is good for three years. The one that confuses me is the one for the coast guard which is another $50. Someone said I may be exempt from that but I couldn't find it clearly stating the exemptions. It's just a 16 foot jon boat for fishing but it said all this stuff about oil tankers and boats used for trade but it wasn't very clear. If I do have to pay the coast guard fee is that by 3 years also or every year? My next and final question is how do I do the tax form? It said do it based on the value of the boat, not the trailer. Do I go by what I paid for the whole set up with the trailer by the way I bought it or what I think the value is? Any help would be appreciated this stuff is confusing as heck. Thanks.
luie b
hunter

Re: Registering a Boat

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Your best bet would be to go into a local boat dealer and have them walk you through it. When I went to mine the gal just filled out the whole thing for me and sign here then gave me the address to send it to. And don't be surprised when it takes forever to get your registration numbers back I bought mine in September and am still waiting on them.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby DieselTech84 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Don't know if you have one near where you live but I always go to the DNR office and fill everything out and they send it in for you. Took me about 6 months to get the registration and decals for the last boat I bought they are way behind.
DieselTech84
hunter

Registering a Boat

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 pm

The CG fee has a table on the back for the amount that needs to be paid. The taxes are for the boat price. The trailer taxes should of been paid once you titled the trailer. There's a back door to trailers and you could of registered it out of state for $99 per five years and not paid the taxes or a titling charge. I believe the tax forms only can be mailed from the state. Can't download it. A dealer might have extras. If not, I have an extra one that I can mail out. Again, it's based off the boat price. There is a spot to fill out the amount paid. A lot of registrations are still far behind, but there are a lot of processing errors from boat owners. They won't or shouldn't be issuing the registration until the taxes are paid. The taxes aren't paid to DNR, but a separate entity.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:57 pm

I got it figured out and now its in the mail! It was a frustrating day trying to figure it all out they sure try their best to make it as complicated as possible!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
luie b
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting