Any Southern Illinois boys out there?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Any Southern Illinois boys out there?

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:44 am

I'm down south around Carbondale anyone else down here? How bout around Carlyle lake? I've been thinking about heading that way but since I don't know anything about it I'd rather not go in blind. Any help? Thanks in advance
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:16 pm

I too am from Carbondale, got a few good spots down here and on rend. Message me back maybe we can hit up crab sometime
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:35 pm

I appreciate the offer, but I refuse to hunt Crab. I think that it is ridiculous that we must pay to use land that we and our parents and so on have been paying for for many years. Besides that, the drawing setup they have there is crap compared to other state run sites.
Sorry for the rant.
Where do you hunt at Rend? The drawing areas? This will be the first year I'll be hunting Rend seriously. I won't be hunting in the drawing area though, just don't wanna deal with having to draw a spot. Drop me a line maybe we can get together for a hunt.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby wspiller » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:53 pm

do they draw at rend every morning like they do at pyramid, and are there any places to walk in at, or do you need a boat for everything
wspiller
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:50 am

Between Waltonville and Mt. Vernon, where the Big Muddy dumps into Rend, there is a walk-in area on the north side of the road. As low as Rend is right now I would be willing to bet that there a quite a few places you could walk into. I can think of one spot just south of the Waltonville dam that might be worth a look. There is a drawing every morning at Rend and as far as I know you need a boat to get into all of those spots.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:25 pm

I've been to Caryle several times and it can be really good, but that is a long drive home when it isnt. The later start of the season has me thinking thats where i want to be opening day cant really decide. It's either there or the Scatters I know i can kill ducks there and its right in my back yard :thumbsup:
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby poi96 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:37 pm

Whats up guys, Im from SIU. I usually hunt at Rend or Crab. Didnt do to well last year. Anyone know about the Cache River or Oakwood Bottoms? Im always looking for people to go with if anybody else wants someone to go with......Bob
poi96
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:55 am

I don't hunt main lake crab i hunt potholes around it. I have places i have never seen anybody else. As far as rend yeah they draw everyday, but i think it's rigged because the same guys get drew first damn near everyday. I have all sorts of places on and around rend, even have my own private pits on the west side of the lake at the county line. All my huntin buddies never came back to school this semester, so if ya'll wanna hunt just let me know.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:00 pm

hey wtrfwler...drop me a line...id love to go huntin with ya.....i like rend if you didnt have all the skybustn...i think it would be cool to hunt around it...maybe i could get you in to some green heads in the timber at oakwood or an outing at the scatters.... thebiggrfigr@rock.com :welcome:
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:34 am

Oakwood is pretty much out of the question for opening day through the weekend unless of course you are willing to get into a hole at 7pm the night before. I personally like to hunt Oakwood late in the season. You may see a couple of guys but for the most part it's lonely out there, which is ok by me.
I have never hunted the Cache, but I have hunted portions of flood waters from the Cache. I've been told that down by Horseshoe there is a good walk-in spot on the Cache, but never made it out there. When I have been down at Horseshoe I have heard quite a bit of shooting down toward the river, but thats about all I can say.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:56 pm

Did some scouting this morning around crab and there was not much of anything. Saw about 20 local geese on crab and a hand full of ducks on Tim ground's place. BUT buddy of mine back home was scoutin some places to hunt opening day and found a good number of ducks. So if you can find where they are opening day might be pretty promising. Never heard of oakwood?? but anyways gotta concentrate on filling my deer tags next weekend, cause once duck and goose season is in deer hunting is over for me. Good luck boys and enjoy the long weekend.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:06 pm

Oakwood Bottoms is a great place to hunt. My Grandpa and uncles hunted it years ago. Nothing in the world like standing knee deep in the flooded timber and having woodies buzz past ya bright and early and then the greenheads droppin down on ya from above. It's south of Murphysboro on Route 3. I personally think that anyone that loves to duck hunt and lives in Southern Illinois needs to make a pilgrimage to Oakwood.
I always heard stories of the tornadoes of mallards droppin in holes down there and never really believed the stories. Until it happened to me. It is truly something that you will never forget.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Oakwood

Postby DetectDave » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:24 am

Chris, I had heard that in recent years, Oakwood was losing some ducvks due to lack of fed w/ the oak trees dying off. I know it used to be quite a honeyhole albeit populated very, and I mean very early by local hunter in the early part of the season. I always wanted to hunt that timber...it looks awesome. I remember camping back at Turkey Bayou one night w/ my new wife many moons ago. We pitched camp late, racked out, and when we got up tghe next AM, there had to be a hundred snake holes around our tent and the squirrel hunters next to us had a string of beer can tabs strung on a line that had to be 80' long. I was crackin' up. Needless to say, Momma was a bit less enthusiastic about the snake idea and we did see a buttload of mocassin's around.

I think I know where that walkin is by the Cache. The river cuts across Rte 3 and it looks like some pretty swampy backwaters to the east of the roadway w/ what appears to be walkin access. I also always wondered if a guy could hunt the flooded areas just east of Horseshoe where 3 and 127 intersect. I think a number of guys hunt the walkin on the east side of Union Co refuge as well. Another area I wonderd about was along the road that runs under the bluffs east of near where the Big Muddy cuts across Rte 3. There are some spots to drop a small boat in off this gravel road and motor west toward Rte 3 in some awesome looking flooded low ground. Looked pretty stimulating but I'm not sure that it is public ground.
DetectDave
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:10 pm

DetectiveDave...Yes it is true that Oakwood has lost something. I grew up in those woods and have in the past 5 years hunted there less and less. I dont think there is such and acorn problem, I always see plenty, as it is the fact that all the duck clubs that have sprung up all along route 3. They are using other areas anymore. I will tell you this though If you do some scouting, which my freinds and keep an eye on the timber, and get in the woods when the birds are on the push. You will not find a better hunt. But, havent had one of those in Oakwood in 2years. If you drive through Oakwood in Feb and Mar, you can see greenheads everywhere. They really do use it on the push home. :thumbsup:
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby poi96 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:58 am

I also did some scouting.... not too much anywhere. I saw the most amount of ducks around pyramis sp. Have you guys hunted white hill at all. I really want a wigeon in a bad way and the reports always say that the cache has a bunch of em. Ill be killing a bunch of ducks and geese up north during openening but after that if anyone needs someone to go with....let me know.

Bob
poi96
hunter

Postby fairgamedq » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:51 pm

You want a widgion last year opening day at carlyle there were quite afew widgions flying around i killed one myself and so did my hunting partner. Its at the taxidermy shop now
fairgamedq
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:31 pm

Oakwood is a great place to hunt, but like I said I wait til later in the season. There is a big field down by Horseshoe that is public land and the Cache runs behind it. If you turn to go towards the drawing area at Horseshoe there is an access area back there somewhere that is walk-in. I've heard it's a decent hole.
Oakwood may not be as great as it was but it's still worth visiting a couple times a season. I used to do an annual Christmas morning hunting there. Nothing like standing in the timber with mallards droppin in.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby wspiller » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:06 am

Where is Horseshoe located at?
wspiller
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:31 am

Down around Mounds, Illinois. No, these are directions from Carbondale so depending on where you're at you'll have to modify them a bit. Yoou can head south on 51 and it will take you straight down there. You turn down the first road before ya get into the town of Mounds, which would be a right. That'll take ya out to route 3. Go straight across route 3 and on your left will be the field I was talking about. Keep going straight and you'll see signs telling you to turn left for Horseshoe Lake. Probably 2 or 3 miles on the left you'll see a parking area and this is the walk-in area I am talking about. If I'm not mistaken there are a couple of areas along there for boat access, but don't quote me on that. You can also take 57 or route 3, but I usually take 51. It's a solid hours drive from here and in the past couple of years it hasn't been worth it to me.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:54 am

Unless there are two horseshoe lakes, then I'm afraid horseshoe is up by granite city. 2 hours north, but like i said there could be two.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby wspiller » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:31 pm

thats what i was confused by, i know of the horseshoe by granite city, so perhaps there are too
wspiller
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:00 pm

Chris is right there is one just north of Cairo.
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:03 am

Never been up to the one by Granite City. The one down by Cairo used to be one heck of a goose hunting spot, but then again so did most of Southern Illinois. Still not a bad place to go. The public goose hunting is poor, but duck hunting around the Cache isn't too bad. Especially if the fields flood up.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Horseshoe's

Postby DetectDave » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:29 am

There are indeed 2 Horseshoes. Granite City Horseshoe is a pretty fair duck hunting spot w/ a fair number of public blinds that are year or 2 year draws like the IL River spots 3 year spots. My friends have been killing a few there of late but not in terribly significant numbers. Horsehoe south at Olive Branch is the new snow goose mecca with some pretty decent duck hunting as well. One of my freinds guides there and they seem to be foucsing more on ducks that Canadians.
DetectDave
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting