Plainfield,IL hunting river in preserve?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Plainfield,IL hunting river in preserve?

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:43 am

I just drove in Plainfield, 135 st and just east of hwy 59, Eaton Preserve and it was full of birds. But, there was a guy in a duck boat, blind and lab who just put in at the small canoe ramp and heading south, going hunting. Do you know anything about this area? Just not sure the water is huntable? It is in Will county which should be ok, I see plenty of room between water and homes?? There is even some farm fields that back up to the river, so why couldnt I hunt this??

BUT, it runs through the Eaton Preserve which concerns me....

Anyone know this area, comments?

Happy Holidays.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 pm

i kind of know the area, but regardless of knowing the area, here's what i would be concerned about:
1) You can't just go and hunt a river without asking anyone permission, unless it is a navigable waterway. If it is not, then it probably means each portion is owned by the property owner where the river runs through.
2) if it is a navigable waterway, you still need access.
3) As far as i know, you can't discharge a firearm within any city limits, so even if the above two check out, you need to make sure you are out of city limits.

another thing i've always thought about wiht trying this type of hunting, cause i've often wanted to, is the fact that if this is the case and the river is a public river, the land on either side is usually private. If i ever did this, i'd feel better about it if i talked to the adjacent landowners and let them know what i was doing in hopes to at least get their blessing.

i know this has been talked about before, anyone else have any experience on this stuff.
Yoda
hunter

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:50 pm

that's dupage river isn't it?

I just looked on the list and i did not see dupage river.

so, as far as i know, that is all privately owned, or part of a public park.
that means the guy in the canoe was either breaking the law, or had permission from a landowner.
Yoda
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:35 pm

Yoda, pretty sure it is the Dupage river.

He had a 18ft grassed up boat with a large mud buddy engine with a big lab on the front, he was hunting.

Aprox 1/2 mile along the east side is farm land, between the rive and the homes.

Guess you could always argue the point of hunting out of your boat and not on any private land??

Not sure that is in any city limits, I do think it is Unincorprated Will county.... There was another small trailer and truck in the parking area, but did not see a boat. All i know is that on the weekends I am not out hunting, I hear shooting in that area, some days just about all day when the weather is right!!!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 am

again, just going by the fact that i do not see the dupage listed as a navigable waterway, i would say it is considered private. he may have permission to hunt from a farmer or something.
seems like this is a pretty gray area, i would call a local CO .......IF you can actually get in contact with one.
Yoda
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks and your right, finding ANY one in ANY department to answer or cut the bread in half is a joke.

I am not one to push the envelope on hunting in questionable water/land, but it looks to inviting!!

I am going to go by there this weekend in AM and PM to see if I can talk with the hunter or hunters and see what the deal is.

Hunt 44 days in MICHIGAN this year already so the lady has me this weekend.....

Happy Holidays.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby lckstckn2smknbrls » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:32 pm

I wanted to hunt a section of the fox river south of Algonquin Il. It's legal only problem was launching the boat. The launch is on Kane county forest preserve property you will be arrested for bringing a gun on forest preserve property.
lckstckn2smknbrls
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:04 am

Interesting....

This ramp is on the other side of the river, which is not in the preserve side..... But it is in Eaton Presever parking lot??

Guess it is not against the law till someone complains...

I am going to keep an eye on it and try to catch someone to ask about it...

Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Plainfield,IL hunting river in preserve?

Postby lil_mason09 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Did you ever find out about the dupage river?
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby cmn44 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:47 am

I live in South Naperville, almost in Plainfield and just about a half mile from the Dupage river. I just recently tried to get on the river just south of 119th along Old Book Rd. The farmer on the west side said he didn't want any hunting on his property. The river is just loaded with geese and a few ducks. It really is a prime spot. I have seen hunters late in the season out in a few of the fields and have even seen a boat on the river. I hear shots all the time. I believe the guy I have seen hunts with permission from the Bolingbrook gravel Co. Where I live, there is only a small portion of the river that is huntable, and on either side it is Dupage forest preserve property. Quite frustrating to have such a great spot that is entirely untouchable. I feel your pain.
cmn44
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 am

There are blinds built on ther river. And it is navigable, even though the damn DNR doesnt have it listed as a navigable water way. I wanna find out more about this.
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby isupol » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:32 am

I've been busted for hunting on the DuPage River. I lauched at Eaton Preserve and boated north to 127th street bridge. Evidently, the river is privately owned and unless you have permission from the landowner you are in volation. Making matter worse, it is illegal to have a firearm in the preserve. I thought the DuPage was a public waterway but evidently not. We were ticketed for tresspasssing and transporting a firearm in a forest preserve. I would not reccomend it.
isupol
Newb

Postby herpin1579 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Dupage river is not navigable. Landowners DO own it to the middle of the river. People have gotten in trouble for just fishing the river if a landowner complains. Some parts are unincorporated so if you have permission you are ok
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:03 am

herpin1579 wrote:Dupage river is not navigable. Landowners DO own it to the middle of the river. People have gotten in trouble for just fishing the river if a landowner complains. Some parts are unincorporated so if you have permission you are ok

This.

I tried to buy a house a couple of miles from the launch and the property line went half way across the river.

Still sad that it didn't work out.
WendallMan
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting