adding variety to my spread

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, SPatrick, huntall6

adding variety to my spread

Postby Supernova90 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:52 pm

I live and hunt mainly in Northern IL (DeKalb County) and have an all mallard spread (2 doz) . I recently bought a 14 ft jon boat to hopefully start trying out some public areas; maybe 2-3 hours south i.e. Clinton lake. Hoping to purchase some decoys for higher visibility but don't want to put out anything the ducks wouldn't typically see around here. Im thinking Pintail, shoveler, or goldeneye? any thoughts? Thanks
Supernova90
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: adding variety to my spread

Postby Theduckguru » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Supernova90 wrote:I live and hunt mainly in Northern IL (DeKalb County) and have an all mallard spread (2 doz) . I recently bought a 14 ft jon boat to hopefully start trying out some public areas; maybe 2-3 hours south i.e. Clinton lake. Hoping to purchase some decoys for higher visibility but don't want to put out anything the ducks wouldn't typically see around here. Im thinking Pintail, shoveler, or goldeneye? any thoughts? Thanks

There is no advantage to visibility by setting a variety puddle duck decoys. If you want more visability, you want larger decoys and more drakes. If you want some shots at divers, a generic large black/ white diver decoy works as well as any. With a 14ft boat, you are not going to hull much without being over legal weight.
Banded Birds - Black Ducks - 6, Mallards 19 (3 Jack Miner) BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, 1 Ross and 1 snow Goose (Both reward bands) , Canada Geese - 15 (2 neck collars), Morning Dove - 1.
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:21 am

Dont get your hopes up with clinton. Its no hot spot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 pm

I will add drake pintail or shovelers to my spread for visibility when hunting in spots where they would be. Shallow marshy areas. I don't do it so much in timber. I also will add some black ducks to my spread for visibility. Surprisingly, flat black can be more visible than white in the right conditions.

The guru above said that adding drakes will help and that's sound advice. I have some "late-season" mallards that are a little whiter than normal mallard dekes and they stand out very well.

Canada goose floaters can add some visibility and ducks like to hang out with them, but your issue will be space in that boat. Don't bother with the diver decoys if you aren't hitting spots that divers frequent.

Good luck out there and be safe!
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Dead Ringer
hunter

Postby Rbiman19 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 pm

I'd think twice before taking a 14ft boat on Clinton lake. May not be the safest choice.
Rbiman19
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:41 am

For safety reasons, you are limited to smaller waters with a 14 footer.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby rism » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:03 am

14ft loaded w/ decoys, people, dogs, gear can get you in trouble real quick in just a little wind. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!!
rism
hunter

Postby Supernova90 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can limit weight in the boat and probably stick to smaller water or even just small river hunting until I get a bigger boat.
Supernova90
Newb

Postby waterfowler9 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 am

You should be fine in a 14 foot boat at Clinton as long as you stick to the walk in areas (parnell, northfork) and be conscious how you load the boat.
waterfowler9
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting