Duck Dogs

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, SPatrick, huntall6

Duck Dogs

Postby rism » Thu May 04, 2017 8:31 am

So lets get a conversation going on Retrievers. To start with: How many of you out there take their dogs collar off for hunting. It's the first thing I do when I get in the blind over water. I have found my dog doesn't "snare" near as many decoys w/ his collar off. The ones he does happen to catch come off a lot quicker so he isn't dragging them all the way to the blind. Anybody else ???
rism
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Duck Dogs

Postby Yankeegray » Fri May 05, 2017 6:37 am

Never really noticed the cooler snagging decoy lines something to watch for next season. Makes sense though.
“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” -Ronald Regan
Yankeegray
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Fri May 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Leave mine on all the time. Too easy to lose a dog in the fog, chasing a cripple. Some dogs get on a cripple and you just can't call them off it. High winds and rough water can really reduce the range of your whistle. I'll take safety over snagged decoy's any day.
Home of GRHRCH UH "Sniper" MH**
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon May 15, 2017 6:01 am

Blackfeet Retrievers wrote:Leave mine on all the time. Too easy to lose a dog in the fog, chasing a cripple. Some dogs get on a cripple and you just can't call them off it. High winds and rough water can really reduce the range of your whistle. I'll take safety over snagged decoy's any day.

Ditto.
Will add, if the cover was as nasty I would take collar off. Other than that never saw a dogs collar snag a decoy , even diver hunting my drops are over 30 inches so the dogs can swim over them with out snagging .
Oh, no camo collars, all bright orange, yellow and pink, birds could care less.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA.
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby rism » Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 am

We hunt in a lot of buck brush. It snags collars and everything else. Have had the dog come back to the blind more than once with his vest ripped off. Collars I'm talking about are plain old dog collars. Not electronic. I'm old school. Don't like or use electronic collars. I understand and appreciate their value in training. But---- if I have to have one on a dog in a hunting situation then the dog probably needs a lot more training.
rism
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:34 pm

My dog hasn't worn a collar in seven years. She hasn't hunted in two seasons, retired.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
Moderator in Training

Postby rism » Thu May 18, 2017 7:28 am

Jay - time to get a new pup !!!!
rism
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting