pintails in sept?????

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

pintails in sept?????

Postby duckaholic_16p » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:22 am

While teal hunting yesterday we had 2 pintail drakes try to land on us when we walked through the decoys.then they kept coming back and swinging us. This is only the second time we have ever seen pintails there in the 6 years ive been hunting.. My question is are pintails commin in sept?
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:18 pm

I dont think its all too likely to see pintails in sept. I think this was a rare occurance. Personally, i havent even seen a pintail in the 11 years i have been hunting in the spot that i go. Of course they come in when there not in season right, haha.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby likesbigspreads » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:06 pm

We always see Pinnies when we are brushing our blinds in October, but I did see a couple small groups yesterday morn. Not very uncommon where we hunt to see them this early. I hunt about 100 yards from Chataqua NWR.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Re: pintails in sept?????

Postby gray_foxx » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:33 am

I think that to see pintails in any numbers in early sept. is something amazing, but if you saw a couple it could be possible. I think that your story is funny..we always see them when they are out of season! It happens to me also!
gray_foxx
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:09 am

Down here a buddy of mine sees the pins either after duck season ends when he's out goose hunting or during snow goose season. So, this waitin til Thanksgiving thing may not be all bad.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting