Duck calls for a beginner

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Duck calls for a beginner

Postby Take'em Now » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:40 am

I am pretty new at this, I am looking for a couple of decent duck calls. I am looking for a simply call. and not looking to spend a lot money on one (not over $75.00). Maybe a caller with a DVD to help explain how to call. Is their such a thing as a duck call for beginners?
Take'em Now
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:15 am

Haydel's DR-85 is the only call you will ever need. :thumbsup: Those guys that spend $100.00 for one are nuts! :toofunny: I think Haydels has a tape or CD, but just having somebody that knows whats up is 10 times better help than a cd will ever be.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:51 pm

im not nuts and i spent that much on a duck call. I seem to be able to work with it a lot better, but like all others i started out with a primos phat lady or a Yo Sista. I think primos calls are one of the best calls to use for beginning duck hunters.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby duckhntr82 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:02 pm

Well i don't care what people say about calls that cost over 100 dollars but there is a big dif between a 20 dollar call and a 100 dollar call..

your just not going to notice it if you are just a ok caller... but once you get better it all makes sence.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Beginner duck call

Postby GreenHead42 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:47 am

You can go to your local walmart and get "the system" by Buck Gardner. It has a duck call, a 6 in 1 wistle, and a CD on how to use them. You can pick it up for under $15 and it sounds pretty good.
GreenHead42
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:52 pm

I would get a RNT quackhead call..

Also.... Look in to the Fred Zink "ducks gone wild" CD. This will allow you to listen to live birds on the ground, calling to other ducks.

RNT also has a CD for begining duck callers.
mccree79
hunter

Postby GreenHeadHuntr04 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:03 pm

I agree with Illinois Ducker, I have some expensive calls, and I really really like them. For a begginer though I would also go with a Primos. However, if you dont like a single reed call you should go with a Original Wench by Primos, those are awesome calls also. For an advanced hunter/caller, the new Final Flight duck calls are awesome. Check em out www.finalflight.net

greenhead
In the world of duck hunting there are two types of people, champion duck callers and champion duck killers, im a duck killer! - Phil Robertson "Duck Commander"

www.geocities.com/masoncountybottomboys
GreenHeadHuntr04
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:35 pm

Kind of ironic that you would agree with me, i have the ducks unlimited tattoo, but its on my back...... I guess great minds think alike
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

DUCK CALL FOR ALL PURPOSES ,,,

Postby bkejwanong1971 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:58 am

the haydel double reed ,,,clear plastic ,,, easy to blow,,,easy to adjust just make ur marks on reeds and plastic pieces before u take apart
IMPORTANT KEEP UR CALLS CLEAN,,, WARM WATER SOAP,,, RINSE WELL
bkejwanong1971
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:15 pm

try the cajun squealer or the original wench they are cheap but awesome calls.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby wspiller » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:25 pm

I like the HS calls and how much did those tattoos run you guys i have been looking at getting one for the last couple of months just havent found the extra money
wspiller
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:00 am

getcha a sureshot....easy to blow and an idiot can sound good...trust me
thebiggrfigr
hunter

New Duck Call

Postby Lac Aux Sien » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:03 am

Take it from a 40 year Louisiana vet. duck hunter, chosing the right call early on is not the real deal. Learning the proper basics will bring you a long way with any call. Once you have mastered the basics, and feel like going to the next level, explore different brands. Not to bash anyones call, I blew a PS OLT for many years, a hard call to master, due to the volume of air need to make proper notes. However, calls have come a long way, and I opted for a Haydel, after hearing Ely call at a show in central La. But as I said before, see if you can get someone who is proficient in calling, :toofunny: to teach you basics and if possible go to a duck pond and listen to the sounds ducks make. A bit of advice, always blow from the gut.
THERE IS ALWAYS A PLACE FOR God'S CREATURES, "RIGHT NEXT TO THE RICE."
Lac Aux Sien
hunter

Postby Duck/Deer Slayer » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:46 am

GreenHeadHuntr04 wrote:I agree with Illinois Ducker, I have some expensive calls, and I really really like them. For a begginer though I would also go with a Primos. However, if you dont like a single reed call you should go with a Original Wench by Primos, those are awesome calls also. For an advanced hunter/caller, the new Final Flight duck calls are awesome. Check em out www.finalflight.net

greenhead
Yentzen duck calls are the way to go they are the best you don't need to spend a 100 dollars a duck call :thumbsup:
Duck/Deer Slayer
hunter

Re: Duck calls for a beginner

Postby Duck/Deer Slayer » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:52 am

Take'em Now wrote:I am pretty new at this, I am looking for a couple of decent duck calls. I am looking for a simply call. and not looking to spend a lot money on one (not over $75.00). Maybe a caller with a DVD to help explain how to call. Is their such a thing as a duck call for beginners?
Are from chicago dude? maybe you should just quite trying to duck and quit trying to be a wanna be. :withstupid:
Duck/Deer Slayer
hunter

Postby Duck/Deer Slayer » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:54 am

Where are you from in central illinois im from Canton.
Duck/Deer Slayer
hunter

Postby Duck/Deer Slayer » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:56 am

GreenHeadHuntr04 wrote:I agree with Illinois Ducker, I have some expensive calls, and I really really like them. For a begginer though I would also go with a Primos. However, if you dont like a single reed call you should go with a Original Wench by Primos, those are awesome calls also. For an advanced hunter/caller, the new Final Flight duck calls are awesome. Check em out www.finalflight.net

greenhead
Wher are you from in central Illinois? I'm from Canton.
Duck/Deer Slayer
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting