Banner Marsh

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Banner Marsh

Postby Take'em Now » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:24 am

I am pretty new at duck hunting. Got a permint for the Banner Marsh area for some duck hunting. Is this a good area for ducks? What should I bring? do I need to bring waders & decoys (was told they give you a dozen decoys)
Take'em Now
hunter

banner

Postby ccdux » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:09 pm

Yes you need waders! The can supply you with decots at the check in station. If you do not have a boat you need to watch what blinds are open. They have an info sheet in the station, (and you can find it on the DNR web site) some of the blinds are a hell of a walk and some are only boat accessable.
The hunting there is streaky, the have a tally board inside so you can see what blinds are hot. There is also a chance to get some passing geese. The thing with Banner is it is high presure, it get hunted every day from open to close. So if you have a robo duck or something to help your spread bring it.
If you need more info drop me a PM

good luck
Take 'em
ccdux
hunter

Banner

Postby scaup1 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:12 pm

Banner is generally not a good bet for ducks. If you are willing to travel there for your permit hunt I would look into Rice Lake and Anderson Lake public walk -in hunts. They are both very close to Banner and are managed for waterfowl, Banner is not - it is too deep to hold ducks for very long (not enough food sources). Rice Lake can be very good, with both walk -in and boat hunting. Talk to the site workers who are very knowledgeable (some of the locals are even friendly).
scaup1
Newb

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:34 pm

the times i went to banner, there seemed to be plenty of ducks. You just have to have a kick ass decoy spread and call better than the people around you. One day, my and a group of guys killed 9, which gernerally isnt bad for a walk in area. of course, we had a lot of decoys and about 3 robo ducks. Blinds 22 and 24 are good, and i particularly like 19 and 21 also. Good luck man, maybe ill see you at the drawing.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting