Pigeons in our field

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Pigeons in our field

Postby Naterdashotgunner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Where we field hunt in Kentucky I found this kinda strange but awesome. At our field there is a group of about 15-20 pigeons that on some days are constantly coming up and down in our field. Well, we call them our live pet decoys. We will see geese and ducks change total directions and come right in. I'm not sure totally if its our spread or the "pets" but on the days the pigeons aren't there the ducks/geese don't change directions or come in as well. I that the birds grab the ducks/geese attention. Its the ultimate mojo, but geese like it too. Another thought is that the ducks/geese know they are pigeons and think that there must be food there. I was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else I think its pretty cool definitely seems to help hunting ?
Naterdashotgunner
hunter

Re: Pigeons in our field

Postby joshco84 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Yup, we even shot a pigeon in the goose decoys last year.

Never seen a big bunch like that though.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby JMac202 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:13 pm

joshco84 wrote:Yup, we even shot a pigeon in the goose decoys last year.

Never seen a big bunch like that though.

Taste pretty much like a dove.
JMac202
hunter

Postby mox » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:31 pm

My partner shot a banded pigeon near our slough. Of course we didn't know it was banded before he shot, but what are the odds anyway? Not quite sure of the regs on shooting pigeons so shhhhhh... :thumbsup:
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby Naterdashotgunner » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm telling haha, I'm pretty sure there fine to shoot, i have yet to ever kill anything banded..
Naterdashotgunner
hunter

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:21 pm

mox wrote:My partner shot a banded pigeon near our slough. Of course we didn't know it was banded before he shot, but what are the odds anyway? Not quite sure of the regs on shooting pigeons so shhhhhh... :thumbsup:

thats a homing pigeons my buddy shot one around here there is no limit on pigeon but if you shoot a banded one on purpose is is a felony no joke but you didnt shoot them on purpose so your fine
The weakest like in waterfowl hunting is YOUR ability to talk to the birds.

Im a fan of the ugly boats.

nobody's perfect ,and im definitely nobody
ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:30 pm

ducksrlivetrap wrote:
mox wrote:My partner shot a banded pigeon near our slough. Of course we didn't know it was banded before he shot, but what are the odds anyway? Not quite sure of the regs on shooting pigeons so shhhhhh... :thumbsup:

thats a homing pigeons my buddy shot one around here there is no limit on pigeon but if you shoot a banded one on purpose is is a felony no joke but you didnt shoot them on purpose so your fine

WHAT!?! its a felony to shoot a banded pigeon? ive never shot one, but im just wandering if that is the truth.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am

yes it is the truth they are protected b/c they are homing pigeons but you have to be knowing your shooting a banded one

ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:56 am

ducksrlivetrap wrote:yes it is the truth they are protected b/c they are homing pigeons but you have to be knowing your shooting a banded one

thats kind of stupid. so lets just say this. say i was hunting and shot a banded pigeon and i knew it. and the game warden came or whatever came and asked me. i could just say that i us-unaware. so why make a law?
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:02 am

the law is b/c for instance now this is true . one guy had homing piegons and his neighbor knew when h is birds where coming back from about a 600 mile trip so he sat at the corner of his field and shot every one he had coming in this guy that did that got 8 years and a felony charge

we think duck hunters are nuts for the money we put in to this stuff that is nothing compaired to these damb piegons . poeple win lots of money and it is also like a under ground dog race or cock fight

they put a protection on these b/c of when we used them in the wars to carry messages but it is a good idea to call and report the band so the owner is not looking for the bird

ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby Prowler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Whenever pigeons come in my spread I have at em. I got one last weekend!
"Sherrif"
Prowler
hunter

Postby quack killa » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:03 am

i see one of you said that you shot a banded pigeon and was wondering about the laws behind it
its very illegal to shoot a banded pigeon if the owner hears of it he can press charges and not only make you pay for it but also serve jail time
i raise racing pigeon and we fly up to 500 miles with them and sometimes on a long race they will go down for food in fields along the way so if you see some please don't shoot them we have alot of time and money invested in our birds and alot of race winners go missing on the next race and i'm sure its from being shot
if any of you are curious about pigeon racing search it its pretty interesting
quack killa
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:19 pm

yeah im just freaking thrilled about the d**n pigeon races by the way who won the pigeon 500 im curious i want the owners autograph God this is interesting as hell just shoot the danged pigeons ill pay you the 5 dollars its worth or buy you a new one off of craigslist.
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 pm

Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:yeah im just freaking thrilled about the d**n pigeon races by the way who won the pigeon 500 im curious i want the owners autograph God this is interesting as hell just shoot the danged pigeons ill pay you the 5 dollars its worth or buy you a new one off of craigslist.

I'll pay you five dollars to use a comma every now and then. :lol3:
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:50 am

thats a crock-of-crap if you asked me.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby waterfowler20 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:18 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:yeah im just freaking thrilled about the d**n pigeon races by the way who won the pigeon 500 im curious i want the owners autograph God this is interesting as hell just shoot the danged pigeons ill pay you the 5 dollars its worth or buy you a new one off of craigslist.

:lol3: :lol3: This made me laugh! :lol: :lol:
Take'Em
waterfowler20
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:07 pm

why is everybody on this website all for punctuation?
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:28 pm

Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:why is everybody on this website all for punctuation?

It's hard to read posts that don't make sense due to a lack of grammar and punctuation. Meanings get misconstrued and it can be hard to understand what someone is trying to say when the poster does not take the time to review what they wrote before submitting.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:32 pm

:ditto: It ain't a text message board.

Why would anyone shoot pigeons in a spread that would be drawing in the object - ducks? Are people really that desperate to shoot something?

Even on water...I'll take something swimming in the decoys ANYDAY for a better spread.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby RiceMagnet » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

Haha.. I don't care who you are, that's funny.
RiceMagnet
hunter

Postby wtrfwlnut » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:10 pm

I never heard of racin pigeons. So any banded pigeon is actually owned? I used to have a pigeon band that a friend gave me. Seriously, not the whole my friend did something stupid when I meant myself deal, but he said he shot it in a barn. I lost it now and its been a while, but I thought it was a federal band. Looked just like a little duck band.
wtrfwlnut
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 pm

If I remember right dudewhohuntsducks is 14 according to a different post.He and a few others need to learn that theres a huge difference between hunting and killing.Some jackass shooting at everything in sight will get NO HUNTING signs put up very quick.And yes pigeon racing is a very real sport.How would you like it if a coyote hunter put a round thru your FOX RED LAB,collar and all at say 200 yards.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby guidepauli » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:37 am

I agree with Ohio Mike. My family has always kept and raced racing pigeons- a competitive sport in which the owners care as much about their birds as waterfowl hunters care about their dogs. Everyone has their "thing" and people should respect that.

Also, I believe their was a comment about just replacing a bird with a $5 pigeon from craigslist- not going to work. Some pigeons bought for breeding stock/racing can cost over $10,000.

In the end, there is a big difference between hunting and shooting s**t as some people say. To be a real hunter, I think that you have to earn a lot of respect for the environment and all animals in general.
Rig'Em Right Waterfowl Pro Staff
Buck Gardner Field Staff
Storm Front Decoys Field Staff

Check out my blog! http://www.waterfowlfuryoutdoors.com
guidepauli
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:41 am

I shoot pigeons that I chase out of barns and buildings. Not in fields. It is always pigeon season. :yes:
I'm sorry someone shot your pet bird. Thank God there ain't too many people with wild pet mallards. I'd be in trouble then. :yes:

Hey why don't you tell us what a banded pigeon looks like? I really don't want to kill someone's pet. Is the band orange so I can see it?
I usually shoot the "ugly" ones. If it is pure white or I like it's color scheme, I let them go. I'm sure I've never shot or seen a banded pigeon but I'll try to not shoot them.
I would be crushed if some archer shot my dog because he thought it was chasing off deer or something. I think maybe there should be a season on pigeons so you guys don't get your birds shot. That way you could have your races safely during the off-season.
I'm sorry to any of you that lost birds. That has to suck.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Soar no more decoys is banding pigeon with money bands and are realesin them one of the pure white ones they realesed has a 1000 dollar band. Sorry if I'm breaking any rules mods. I'm just pointing out a company is money banding pigeons and it would suck to know you let a bunch of money fly by. These bands are colored though so it may be different.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Next

Return to Field Duck Hunting