Pigeons in our field

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Re: Pigeons in our field

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Can't Post pictures form my iPad or I would post them all banded so you could see if there differnt.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat May 25, 2013 12:17 pm

I would call those pigeons confidence decoys and would use them to my advantage. I like having coots, ruddy ducks, and grebes in my duck decoys. I would much prefer to have them in my decoys than on the other side of the pothole competing with me. We used to have such good luck with geese working our field when there were deer feeding, by our decoys, that I considered buying some deer decoys for goose hunting.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 am

I just wanted to say that Pigeon hunting is a blast. They come in just like Geese. We have shot a few bands, but only realized they were banded after we got them down. I would say most of the crazy colored ones are banded. Lots of white ones are. We try not to shoot the "pretty" ones. Sometimes the ugly ones are banded too though. I shot a really dark colored one, and it was double banded.

Soar No More has some great video's. I am also associated with an outfitter who does Pigeon hunting in the off season. People love it! They taste just like Dove too!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:12 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:
ducksrlivetrap wrote:
mox wrote:My partner shot a banded pigeon near our slough. Of course we didn't know it was banded before he shot, but what are the odds anyway? Not quite sure of the regs on shooting pigeons so shhhhhh... :thumbsup:

tha so its a homing pigeons my buddy shot one around here there is no limit on pigeon but if you shoot a banded one on purpose is is a felony no joke but you didnt shoot them on purpose so your fine

WHAT!?! its a felony to shoot a banded pigeon? ive never shot one, but im just wandering if that is the truth.

Banded pigeons...
The band means someone owns the bird.
Racing pigeons is a sport.
I cant see good enough to spot a band on a duck before I shoot it.
I shot a few pigeons. The meat is dark like a duck. Not at all like a dove.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:10 pm

A homing pigeon (banded by the owner) is property of the owner. It would only be a felony if they are considered pets in your state and it is a felony to shoot a pet. Here it is not a felony to shoot a pet, and I don't believe they would be considered pets anyways. But if you shot a homing pigeon, knowing it was a homing pigeon, the owner could press charges for destruction of property.

But, since it would be nearly impossible to knowingly shoot a homing pigeon... blast away!
BBK
hunter

Previous

Return to Field Duck Hunting