Field Duck Decoys

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field Duck Decoys

Postby AddictedtoQuack » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:56 pm

I'm not too sure what kind of field duck decoys to buy. I've seen full bodies, windsocks, shells, silhouettes, etc. but I don't want to spend too much. I've been a water duck hunter my whole life but never hunted over land. Any advice is appreciated.
AddictedtoQuack
hunter

Duck Decoys

Postby ducky » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:43 am

Go with enticers. Work good for me!
ducky

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:19 am

I never hunt fields just stick to the marshes and right now I am waiting to to go th season doesn't open tell 12:oo p.m. this afternoon and I am so ready just to jump in my waders and take the dog and go.
the duck commander

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:24 am

I hope this season will turn out for me the last one was outragous because I was surrounded and every time you get them to circle every one would blaze at them utting you all the way off. Some sportsmen it takes to hunt over another man's decoys using him to fill your limit.
The Duck Commander

Postby redlegged mallard » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:01 pm

so adivce use entizers for ducks while feild hunting there work very well. and for goose i would have to say big feet they r very expencize but trust me you wont regret buy just 6 of them and have another 2-3 dozen of regular goose shells
redlegged mallard
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:18 am

I have used G&H Mallrds shells for many years to very good succes throughout the season. I also use a dz mallrd socks too for movement. It adds that realism of movement that is needed at times. Enticers are nice---but very bulky.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:00 pm

the enticers and the g&h shells are your best bet. the enticers are a lil big but they work along with that i use 2 to 3 mojo mallards and a few goose decoys
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ifitflysitdies » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:34 pm

Sling a nasty spread of geese out there...if you can 20 or more full bodies and a few dozen shells and sills. Ide buy a dozen or so mallard shels and just mix them in sometimes otherwise stick them off o the side because sometimes the ducks shy away from being right smack in the middle of the geese. Good luck and cut um all!
Ducks are forever, Women are temporary!
ifitflysitdies
hunter

Postby quackersnacker » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:25 pm

I shoot most of my ducks when Goosin'. My spread is 3 doz bigfeet, 7 doz outlaws and if it's leagal a couple "Roboducks", if not then "Windducks". I have found that the ducks needs something flashy to get then closer. If necessary I'll mix is 2 doz outlaw ducks. If I can wear my bibs instead of waders then that's my first choice.
Make the first shot count!
I guess I need to practice what I preach!
quackersnacker
hunter

Postby 2rivers » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:24 pm

I use about 2 dozen bigfoot and about 15 dozen canada silhouettes and use robos or winducks to help attract the ducks to your spread. we also use some duck shells accasonally but i really dont think they help too much. basically use the black hole theory to get the birds to come to you.
2rivers
hunter

Just an idea

Postby Live to Hunt & Fish » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:50 pm

I have always hunted over water. I was just wondering if you could like dig a hole the shape of the keel and put the keel in it. Or if the ground was soft just push the keel in the ground. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this or thought it would work.
Live to Hunt & Fish
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri May 07, 2004 12:20 am

LtFH
Basically they are too low to the ground for far off ducks to see they in a field. Granted it is better than nothing. I have seen a cradle of sorts at Game Fair last year to lift up the h20 decoys off of the ground. Basically it is 2 U shaped with a bar across the bottom below the keel with 1 post going into the ground. All of metal. The U goes around the keel up to the bottom of the decoy. They were too spendy to buy –but if you made them up yourself it may be economical enough. Try using 1/8” alum rods welded, no rust, light weight, etc…
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Fri May 07, 2004 4:38 pm

I bring my floaters out to the fields alot,just make a rut in the ground with my boot and put the keel of the decoy in.Works fine for me,if the ground is frozen I pull in some vegetation under the decoy to support it.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mallyard » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:18 am

Nest year Green Head Gear is coming out with some full body mallard decoys.... They have spent 2 years of carving and looking at pictures of standing ducks. These decoys should come out nor next season (05'). I don't hunt ducks over land at all. So If I do purcase any it'll be for the ice or and island. Hope this helps....

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

dont need any

Postby Walpole Island Hunter » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:37 pm

I hunt the cornfields only using 2 or 1 lucky ducks or a mojo . no decoys needed . I just use whats out there in the fields . an old trick taught to me by my uncle. :thumbsup:

Sure beats carrying all them decoys! :getdown:
Walpole Island, Ontario, Canada is where the duck action is!
Walpole Island Hunter
hunter

Re: dont need any

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:53 pm

Walpole Island Hunter wrote: an old trick taught to me by my uncle.

Being the spinners are a new invention--how can it be an "old trick" then? :tounge: But shells on stakes along with a spinner is icing on the cake :thumbsup:

BTW, I forgot to mention something on my post above. Another reason I do not use water decoys in the field is because the haeds are up. Whenever you see the heads up in the field-they are on alert status, when things are hunky dory- and bulk of the heads are down eating.
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

field duck decoys

Postby Walpole Island Hunter » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:37 pm

Any of you guys hear about using mud sets? or mud pies? in the cornfield

Anywho even tho the mud sets work just fine for me I wouldn't mind getting some of thos Flambeau full body duck decoys . they look pretty deadly. :yes: :yes:
Walpole Island, Ontario, Canada is where the duck action is!
Walpole Island Hunter
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:59 pm

best thing to do is use ur water decoys just use ur foot and kick a lil hole to set the keels in.....it works well
duckbuster
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:41 am

enticers, get a MOJO if you can, the geese sometimes dont like them though... :smile:
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:25 pm

I use water decoys when I go in a field. They work good enough for me, because all of the over docoys like enticers cost too much and plus they can't tell the difference if you have a robo duck in the field too. What are they going to do look for some feet under them? They sit too low so they can't tell, and if they can you better be shooting.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:52 pm

I like to mix 25" Herter mallards and outlaw mallards. I normally am hunting geese at the same time so most of my spread is canadians but I have killed plenty of ducks over the outlaws and Herter's 25" mallards. The Herters mallards are big and I love that because of the high profile that stands out from a long distance, but the paint comes off too easily though. I have had to paint mine twice. I would go with the greenhead gear mallards, as said earlier, they look great. The outlaw mallards are unbelievable in low light. You find yourself taking a double take on whether they are real ducks feeding next to you.
Last edited by whitefeather on Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:56 pm

mallardhunter wrote:I use water decoys when I go in a field. They work good enough for me, because all of the over docoys like enticers cost too much and plus they can't tell the difference if you have a robo duck in the field too. What are they going to do look for some feet under them? They sit too low so they can't tell, and if they can you better be shooting.

When I hunted in NE North Dakota, we used a wonderduck proped up on two rocks, a wind aided homemade flyer, and about 2 dozen water keel flambeaus. We didn't have a problem killing over them as well.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby webfootwacker » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:35 pm

Go with Avery GHG fullbodies, these are some of the best field duck decoys to hit the market ever.Besides realism, they also have a new motion system that is killer.
webfootwacker
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:18 pm

Use 3dz 25+ year old, cumbersome, re-painted Herter's goose shells that no longer get used for geese. Use them along with 200+ snow/blue rags and it can be choas out there. Main problem is our stupid Honker season, they love the rig but we can't touch them during most of the regular duck season. Not uncommom to have a hundred or more walking around the spread while you're trying to pop a duck. Works well at times, late season for flight birds and do occasionally pull some snows and blues.
Cobra
hunter

Postby duckhunter25 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:28 pm

:thumbsup: I shoot alot of black ducks here at home. We use full bodies, sillouettes, and other makes and models. BUT, the by far the best black duck decoy used here is wet seaweed bunched up in the size of a black or mallard duck. laugh if you want but it is unreal shooting over these little seaweed decoys. Geese dont mind em a bit either.
duckhunter25
hunter

Next

Return to Field Duck Hunting