Killerweed Blind Kit

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Killerweed Blind Kit

Postby GoldeneyeGuy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:58 pm

illI have just purchased a Finisher Layout Blind, it hasn't even arrived yet! However last year I used a Final Approach Blind. It was kahki and so darn time consuming every morning adding new brush or stubble to it. I guess I am trying to ask whether or not it would be worth it to buy a killer weed blind kit??? Does it fall of when you break it down? How long does it last? would one color hide my layout on river banks then in a cut corn field? Thanks
GoldeneyeGuy
Newb

Re: Killerweed Blind Kit

Postby mccree79 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 pm

The Killerweed is awesome....buy it. The Finisher blind is fairly low profile but the Killerweed helps hide it. I have only used it one year, so I don't know how long it will last. The stuff looks awesome!!!
mccree79
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:33 am

I have never used it but I hear good thinks about it. When ever I have a question about a product, I go to the store web sites and look at costumer reviews. Most of the time it is good info. :thumbsup:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:33 pm

zip tie it to your blind so it stays
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:49 am

duckdozer wrote:zip tie it to your blind so it stays

Black or green zip ties are the way to go!
Born to hunt....forced to work.
Charles
hunter

Postby msmall » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Has anyone used it to grass up there boat with?? Was thinking about using it on my sculler.....
msmall
hunter

Postby mnobles23 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am

I never have understood buying grass kits when grass grows all over the place for free. Not knocking you guys that use the kits, but for me it's cheaper and in my opinion better looking to use the grass from the fields I'll be hunting. I like to go in the late summer to the fields I hunt and cut a bunch of grass from the ditches or parts of the fields. Bundle all of this together and you have all the blind material you need for season.
mnobles23
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:02 pm

mnobles23 wrote:I never have understood buying grass kits when grass grows all over the place for free. Not knocking you guys that use the kits, but for me it's cheaper and in my opinion better looking to use the grass from the fields I'll be hunting. I like to go in the late summer to the fields I hunt and cut a bunch of grass from the ditches or parts of the fields. Bundle all of this together and you have all the blind material you need for season.

The Killerweed actually looks really good. Also, It is much more convenient and time saving to buy the "killerweed" grass....at least it is for me.
mccree79
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:58 am

I think the real question is does it flare birds, if not, heck yea use the crap out of it because it is very easy to apply to a blind. If it does, I would just make use of the natural stuff where your hunting.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby NDduckjunkie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:26 pm

I zip tied it to a bunch of clothes pins, and that has worked really good. I can mix and match colors, and completely remove it if need be very easily.
NDduckjunkie
Newb

Postby mallardmaulersx3 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:44 pm

I have it on two of my blinds. The killer grass I've had on one blind now for 4 years. that is a dedicated blind for green fields. Its starting to get thin but has lasted very well. i have the all terain on my other blind with saves me alot of time in corn stubble when theres not alot in the field to cover up with. If you are anal about your gear like I am, i would suggest zip tie the killerweed to clothes pins. This makes installation and removal easy and you can change it up a little depending on your surroundings. Also this will aid in the end of the year mud removal from the seat and inside of your blind. I always take my pressure washer and clean my blind at the end of the year. Cost to mech not to take care of your stuff. :beer:
If your not hunting, then you should be sleeping.
mallardmaulersx3
Newb

Postby skippydoo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Any Raffia grass can look great, buy it natural and dye it yourself [you can create custom colors for your hunting area], or buy it colored, buy the best quality wooden clothes pins you can find, like from a crafts store, use relatively small bundles [half of a hand full], use 2 black 3-M zip ties, one around the handle and one through the big half opening, I attach my pins near one end, and if you have a zip tie tightening tool, all the better, I have likely 6 or 8 colors, custom made, use them on different terrain, store them in a decoy bag to keep them dry, has worked for years for me, Skip
skippydoo
hunter

Postby quiksilvern7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 pm

how many kits does it take to conceal one layout blind?
quiksilvern7
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

I am not a fan of the killer weed. If I am going to use my lay outs on a hunt then I have to have available cover to help blend in with what is there. It usually doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get a blind looking good in the morning. I don't mind the time when I know that I will look just like the surroundings.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 am

Look at the pics of they way this guy attached the grass. Looks like a fast easy way to me.

http://www.duckjunkies.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=18&id=8368&Itemid=256
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 am

Says I don't have permission to access the link. How about a copy and paste?
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:17 am

Years ago as an on going project I collected rafia grass in small bags, then bought the rafia in hula skirts and dyed some each year until I had about 6 different colors zip tied to quality clothes pins and most likely I knew the local and type o field usually the night before and do up half the layout and if time permits use the naturals to finish. One word of caution when it get really cold out rafia grass changes it's structure an becomes really limp and blows in the wind and doesn't look natural and might change color somewhat.
I solved this problem by spray painting some rafia grass and it becomes stiff and better color match. Rafia sure saves me about fifteen minutes of setup up time.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri May 27, 2011 7:50 am

Rem1100,
I hunt up there where you live for about a month every year. Hunt barley, wheat (both kinds), peas and fallow. It's tough changing out camo on the layouts, sometime daily, according to where you spotted the geese the afternoon before. SO....here's my project here at the "home" this spring and summer, before we leave in September.
I acquired a large, used fishing net down on the coast and I'm cutting the net to size to fit each side of the flip open sides of the layouts. I'm attaching dyed and painted raffia about every 4 "holes" (squares) in the net by folding the rafia strands over, sticking the loop thru the net, and feeding the loose ends back thru the loop and pulling tight. My objective is to only have to attach the appropriate "net blanket" to the layout in about 4 or 5 places with velcro (permanent attached to net). My layouts have two flip open sides each, full length.
I have ordered the dye combinations from Ritdye.com and will dye the raffia, nets and all, the proper colors to match the different fields up there in "God's Country".
I have already completed two camo blankets to cover the portable field blind. I painted them first and still have to dye it barley brown. Had been using willows and the "portable" blind was getting a might heavy for this old fart. Heres one of the portable blind nets raffia'd, undyed but painted: Top row was every 2", rest of rows 4" apart.

tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri May 27, 2011 11:31 am

Rick Hall wrote:Says I don't have permission to access the link. How about a copy and paste?

Sorry about that.
Attachments
clipb[1].jpg
clipa[1].jpg
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Neat net and rafia. I am workiing on a new blind project involving a three circular rings from Ameristep for turkey hhunting and will be putting the rafia grass on it with an overheard hinged cover matt with rafia grass
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun May 29, 2011 8:34 am

You have turkeys in Alberta or Saskatachewan? Never seen any up there. What variety?

Or were you talking about modifying a turkey blind for duck/goose hunting? Let's see a picture if/when you finish. I'm always looking for projects here at the "home". I've got the Ameristep Haybale that I 've used up there on several occasions... when the wind isn't blowing 40 hells! Has a tendency to want to "fly" when the clipper comes thru!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:48 pm

We have turkeys in Alberta on a 100 lucky draw for miriams. I am working on a Amerstep turkey blind for geese where iI put up the 3 sides and sit down in it ..still trying to fiure it out to put some flaps on it and a back door.I am putting some dyed rafia grass on it. The blind is lightweight and is made from round spring steel and camo
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting