CA Rice Fields

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

CA Rice Fields

Postby JIMBO89 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:21 am

Anyone ever have any success killing ducks in a dry rice field in California?
JIMBO89
hunter

Re: CA Rice Fields

Postby Trav28 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:56 pm

I'd take a burned rice field over just about anything. :thumbsup: Dry stubble is better suited for Specks and snow, but I'm sure ducks use 'em too.
Trav28
hunter

Postby JIMBO89 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Trav28 wrote:I'd take a burned rice field over just about anything. :thumbsup: Dry stubble is better suited for Specks and snow, but I'm sure ducks use 'em too.

Ever have any luck on ducks in one?

Going on a speck hunt this year, once we limit on specks would be nice to hunt some ducks!
JIMBO89
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:23 pm

I have had very limited success in dry rice fields for ducks, in fact almost none. Only ducks in Calif that I shot in dry rice fields were flying from point a to b and happened to fly over me. I have had them come into large goose deke spreads in dry fields but not with any regularity. Much better odds of shooting geese in dry fields. There is a reason why most of the rice fields in Calif are flooded during hunting season. Think about it, how often have you seen numbers of ducks anywhere but in water or very close to it.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:19 pm

i can't speal for cali but down here a rice field will draw just about any bird around save divers.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Trav28 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:05 pm

JIMBO89 wrote:
Trav28 wrote:I'd take a burned rice field over just about anything. :thumbsup: Dry stubble is better suited for Specks and snow, but I'm sure ducks use 'em too.

Ever have any luck on ducks in one?

Going on a speck hunt this year, once we limit on specks would be nice to hunt some ducks!

Honestly, I never bothered hunting them dry. Either flooded or burned.
Trav28
hunter

Postby klist » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 pm

im told that if ya get a good rain and it gets a some water in it- that ya can shoo pretty good

hell last season with the big rain and wind storms the ducks were dumpin in the dry field about 500 yards away with the geese

and not my flooded rice blind

so im gessin yes
klist
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 am

Why are your rice fields dry? Down here they flood all the rice fields in the fall. Makes for the best duck hunting anywhere.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:44 am

im told that if ya get a good rain and it gets a some water in it- that ya can shoo pretty good

After a heavy rain it isn't really a dry rice field. You are correct though fields that are not flooded but are wet and have standing water/puddles after a rain can be fabulous for shooting. It actually makes for an ideal feeding plot for ducks. But when that field is dry you won't for the most part see ducks flocking to it. Geese yes, ducks no.

Why are your rice fields dry? Down here they flood all the rice fields in the fall. Makes for the best duck hunting anywhere.

Most of the rice fields in calif are flooded during the season, at least the ones used for hunting. The ones not used for hunting are often burned and disced.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby klist » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:41 pm

California Sprig wrote:

After a heavy rain it isn't really a dry rice field. You are correct though fields that are not flooded but are wet and have standing water/puddles after a rain can be fabulous for shooting. It actually makes for an ideal feeding plot for ducks. But when that field is dry you won't for the most part see ducks flocking to it. Geese yes, ducks no.

but just before it was :biggrin: :hammer:
klist
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting