woodies n fields

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

woodies n fields

Postby Turkeypens15 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:38 pm

how many people kill woodies in the fields? ive never field hunted over water but i read about it the other day about people killin woodies. how do yall do it?
Woodies is all we do!
n a few greenheads

P eople
E ating
T asty
A nimals
Turkeypens15
hunter

Re: woodies n fields

Postby gooserslan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:41 pm

My only is experience is shooting a handful in a Corn Field that butts right up to a stream about twenty yards wide. They actually have tried to land in with Goose decoys in the corn. 90% of them just keep smoking right down the creek and don't pay attention but we do have the occasional bird or two that makes the wrong move.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 pm

for the most part woodies and fields don't mix. i did hunt a field of winter wheat a few times that had woods on 3 sides and a creek behind one of those side, we killed wood ducks in that field, but i'd consider that the exception not the rule.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby looney4labs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:44 pm

In my experiance I have had great success with woodies and fields. I dont chase these birds on a daily basis during the season but if I see them landing in the fields I will shurly hunt them the next day. The shoot is usually very early morning and lasts all of 15 mins. I've been able to hunt the same location two or three times before the group of woodies wise up and find another field.
looney4labs
hunter

Postby guidepauli » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:16 pm

I've shot woodies in a field situation only a few times- usually corn fields with ditches running the length of both sides. They just come into the goose decoys or are just flying in low to check it out.
Rig'Em Right Waterfowl Pro Staff
Buck Gardner Field Staff
Storm Front Decoys Field Staff

Check out my blog! http://www.waterfowlfuryoutdoors.com
guidepauli
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:35 pm

my buddies has a silage field of corn and about 100 woodies would dry feed with the geese. they hunted early season wood ducks with layout blinds. i thought he was full of crap till i seen the pics. and they actually got 3 bands in 5 days.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby drake176 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 pm

every year i hunt a corn field which on one side has a river and the other side has a swamp. we hunt right in the middle of the field with layout blinds and seem to wack em out pretty good every year. usually there flying into the swamp or into the river but with the mojos and fully bodies out there the woodies seem to swing around and take a look.
drake176
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Do it all the time, just another puddler that doesn't mind eating corn, wheat or even beans
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting