duck silos

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

duck silos

Postby REM1100 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:07 am

Has anybody used duck silos in the field..how many silos
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Re: duck silos

Postby Spunky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:55 pm

don't you know you have to have 5 or 6,000 dollars worth of decoys :wink: . Birds don't decoy to silos. I only use about a dozen and a half that I made up myself but we don't get large flocks of ducks, mostly small 5-10 birds in each flock. I would say match the size of the flocks that your are hunting and than just about double it. I wouldn't use more than 3 or 4 dozen. i read a post somewhere where a hunter drilled a small hole in the bottom of the head of some floaters, inserting a small dowl to keep the decoy up right, used them for field hunting and used them on the water, didn't leak. I just can't justify spending big bucks for shells when silos will do the same thing.

Very easy to make a pattern. Get a small lamp with a large wattage bulb. Place a sheet of large paper against the wall. Place a decoy between the light and paper and adjust the light , closer or farther away, until you get the size you want and trace it. Transfer it to the material that your going to use and go at it.
Spunky
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks spunky I only have material to make 4 flyer silos and use them with my wind mojos
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby big37dog » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 am

a dozen or a dozen and a half silos with a mojo should be all you will need. I have had good luck putting silos around and close to mojo. Almost like a figure 8 with mojo set up in narrow part
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry
DH Lawrence
big37dog
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting