field spread?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

field spread?

Postby amsrc11 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:22 pm

hey guys i hunt a corn field mostly for goose, along with some mallards. there is a large resivore about a mile away from the field. this is were all the birds roost from and come to the field. my question is i would like to get some of the ducks to come, but not scare away the geese. we have about 5 dozen full body geese and about 2.5dozen full body mallards. in my preseason scoutting i have seen around 200-400geese along with about 100mallards. any sugestion for the size of the spread, along with how many mallards i should put out along with the geese?
thanks!
amsrc11
hunter

Re: field spread?

Postby Trav28 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Don't put out any spinners and you should be fine. It's pretty common to see mallards in a flock of honkers.
Trav28
hunter

Postby Cobra » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Take'm all. Mix them together all the time, it's natural near me to see them that way. About the only thing I've noticed over the years is that ducks will fly over a bunch of geese to land but geese aren't fond of flying over ducks to sit down. Mid air collisions and I've seen it happen. Not a written in stone thing but they seem to follow it
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby dhoey07 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:14 am

I'm no expert but i would think that if you're seeing that many already, why wouldn't you just hunker down with no decoys to start?
dhoey07
hunter

Postby deano686kx » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 am

I'm no expert but i would think that if you're seeing that many already, why wouldn't you just hunker down with no decoys to start?[/

HUGE diference between seeing, and finishing into gun range. Just one of the many reasons we spend thousands of $$$$$$$ on decoys!!
deano686kx
Newb

Postby TNquacker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:02 am

I will second the mallards flying with but just above the geese as i have seen this too. All i can ad is that what ever spread you use, you might consider leaving a clear lane for the ducks to come into as they tend not to like flying over the decoys on their approach.
TNquacker
hunter

Postby mpollinger » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Looking for imput please. I normally set out goose decoys in the shape of a u.... the bottom of the u being the pit with a few decoys surrounding the pit. Also, I leave 5-6 goose decoys out in the middle in the pocket. Where is the best spot to put FB GHG duck decoys. Just looking for other comments.

Thanks
mpollinger
hunter

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:40 pm

mallards will land in geese but geese wont land in mallards...and bring decoys...that guy that said don't bring decoys has no idea what he is talking about
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Postby mpollinger » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:51 pm

When you mention bring decoys, are you referring to duck decoys and if so, is there any number I need to mix with the goose decoys? Thanks for the reply also.

Mick
mpollinger
hunter

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:35 am

Go out the afternoon before they roost...if they are in groups of 100 put out 100 decoys groups of 3 put out different groups of three...i am somewhat succesful but not TOO succesful ...i always noticed they land away from the geese...geese are aggresive and seggregate the ducks( you would too if a bunch of green headed people were trying to eat your food)
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting