Decoy Placement

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Decoy Placement

Postby Bandit29 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:05 am

Going to hunt on a WMA this weekend. Now almost every blind there will have hunters and dekes out. Although most will be on small sloughs, we are going to be hunting a dry pit in the middle of a wheat or corn field. In years past the birds would get up off of the refuge, make a big circle and fly straight over top of this pit on their way to a private hunt club just beyond this pit a few hundred yards and get nailed. My first time trying to field hunt the birds. I've got about 3 doz. Bigfeet, 1 doz. FB mallards, 8 blacks, 4 pintails and 1 doz. mallard feeder shells. Any ideas on how to mix or place them? I know I'll probably spread them out pretty good 8-10 yards between the dekes and put the geese in family groups. Just curious if I need to put the ducks past the geese, closer to the blind, or put the geese behind the blind and ducks in front??? Any help greatly appreciated!!!
Bandit29
hunter

Re: Decoy Placement

Postby moredux » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:11 pm

you should always put the decoys infrot of your blind, putting the geese in family groups is a good idea if it is fairly mild to warm weather, put the ducks scattered between the groups of geese with probably the blacks in one group. always make sure you give the birds a landing zone within your decoy formation by using a u or j shape i have had good success with a big w also, if this doesn't work switch it up untill you figure out what the birds want, good luck!!
moredux
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Ducks don't really need a landing hole in the field. I typically see them landing right in the middle of the group. I would put the geese farther out in a u or j with the bottom of the u or j behind or right at the blind and the ducks in a group right close to the blind pretty much in the landing hole for the geese. Sounds like you've got a real nice spread.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Mallards love the robo in the field, but the geese hate them. That's why it's nice to have a remote or a fast midget to turn the remote off and on.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting