rice field pit

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

rice field pit

Postby jlc40 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:27 pm

hey guys.. im sort of new to this and we are getting a rice field pit. i want to get some advice on what you guys use to put over the pit to stay hid. i have seen pits that only have holes to shoot through with grass covering in between the holes but this pit has a complete open top and i didnt know how that would work without the grass just falling in to the blind. any advice, pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks!
jlc40
Newb

Re: rice field pit

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Tie grass bundles to lay across the opening, and make more than it takes to just cover the pit, so it will always be easy to pull them overhead and leave just slits to watch birds work through. Big bundles 4-6" wide at the ties with two ties in the middle will last longer, but small bundles half that size and only tied in the middle will look more like random grass on the levee and less like grass logs. If the levee is clean, you'll want to cover enough of it with cut grass matching your bundles to keep the blind from being the odd, suspicious spot.

This pic was posted on the similar thread right below this one, and dog and decoy are sitting on the end of the blind:

Here's are other exampes:

If the levee is green, you'll want to use cedar boughs, instead, as seen on the blind behind this hunter:
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Re: rice field pit

Postby kwacksmacker40 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:23 pm

rick,
thanks for your help. looks like that works well
kwacksmacker40
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting