Water decoy to field decoy stand

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Water decoy to field decoy stand

Postby Fowl'in up NORTH » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:02 pm

I was watching the flyway highway (don't like the show but duck die so it passes the time) and he was talking about a stand that you put water decoys in and they stood like 6 inches off the ground just wondering what there were that would make the wallet a bit heaviyer thanks in advanced :thumbsup:
Fowl'in up NORTH
hunter

Re: Water decoy to field decoy stand

Postby OKhunter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 pm

I have been thinking about this as well lately, and I believe I have come up with a solution. What i did was take some stiff wire and bend it to fit around the keel, so it was shaped like a U. Then I bend the wire down to the height you want your decoy to stand off the ground. I then took the wire and bent it in a circle around the decoy and bent it to where it would balance above the base of the stand. Overall it was cheap, and I believe it will work well.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:15 am

haha i have been watchin it as well. The guy is more of a tv salesman than a duck hunter. It gets old, but the product is a great idea. Keep you from spending a ton of money on full bodies.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:21 am

1 major problem!!! 99% of all water decoys are sentry decoys!!!! You dont want a field full of sentry decoys :no: (that means danger) In fields you need 3-4 feeders for every 1 sentry decoy :thumbsup:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:06 pm

i_willie12 wrote:1 major problem!!! 99% of all water decoys are sentry decoys!!!! You dont want a field full of sentry decoys :no: (that means danger) In fields you need 3-4 feeders for every 1 sentry decoy :thumbsup:

Touche
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:59 pm

this is tenfingergrip's idea for cheap field decoys. i cant find the link to his thread but here is mine...

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=148278&hilit=+field+mallards

at $1.80 a decoy, you cant go wrong :biggrin:
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:11 am

I just drilled a hole behind the head and it came out the chest and I put foot long nails thru it to hold it upright cost $.85 and it will still float they were also Flambeaus
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:13 pm

This was the original thread that I replied to ...... how I made motion stakes for the field decoys converted from floaters, that Huntall referenced above. My post has a link to the pics in photobucket of the construction.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=117951

tfg
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby DucksDown07 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:27 pm

I just got the new mpw catalog, and they had these in there. Essentially what you guys are talking about, but they have feet you can clip on them. Its a great idea
Some people say, "if it flies, it dies"
I'm on record the "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander
DucksDown07
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:41 pm

i_willie12 wrote:1 major problem!!! 99% of all water decoys are sentry decoys!!!! You dont want a field full of sentry decoys :no: (that means danger) In fields you need 3-4 feeders for every 1 sentry decoy :thumbsup:

WRONG if you are talking about hunting ducks, now geese on the other hand it matters, with ducks all you have to have is a dz decoys a couple of spinners and you are golden it doesnt matter what decoys they are the ducks will want to be there reguardless. They dotn care if you are walking out of your blind with your wiener in your hand if there is a spinner in a dry field you are golden. Just my experience, we know guys taht will set 12 dz fb mallards to shoot 3 limits, we laugh cus all we have is 1 dz fb's 1 dz shells and 3 spinners and we clean them out everytime. I have seen it done over less and over ghg hotbuys as well.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:38 pm

You haven't been hunting very long have ya? Do you know how many ducks we killed out of fields long before fullbodies were the craze or before the mojo made an appearance? We used floaters all the time in the field. Hell we still don't own a single feeder fullbody duck and do just fine. If you ever watch them in a field they are always on the move and will actually walk over the backs of other ducks to beat them to the food. Just goes to show you that being on a prostaff doesn't make you a smarter hunter.

Geese are an entirely different animal however.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby beaverdam1 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:07 pm

I've looked at DCVR decoy stakes and am thinkin about buyin em unless im convinced otherwise.
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! " John Stephens
beaverdam1
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 pm

duckdozer wrote:

WRONG if you are talking about hunting ducks, now geese on the other hand it matters, with ducks all you have to have is a dz decoys a couple of spinners and you are golden it doesnt matter what decoys they are the ducks will want to be there reguardless. They dotn care if you are walking out of your blind with your wiener in your hand if there is a spinner in a dry field you are golden. Just my experience, we know guys taht will set 12 dz fb mallards to shoot 3 limits, we laugh cus all we have is 1 dz fb's 1 dz shells and 3 spinners and we clean them out everytime. I have seen it done over less and over ghg hotbuys as well.

Agree and you don't even have to have duck decoys out to kill them in the field, 1 doz FB geese and a spinner is all some people use. Myself, I like to put the FB ducks out as well. We use 2 doz ducks and 1 doz big geese and 1 doz lessers and 3 spinners with remotes for when the geese decide to give us a look.
labman63
hunter

Postby duck17 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:21 am

I just received my first order of DCVR stakes from MPW, and they are KICK ASS! I can't wait to use these things in the field this season. I just added 12 full bodies to my spread for $35. That's insane. They have some cool videos on their website too www.dcvroutdoors.com
duck17
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:09 pm

I tell ya what I use and they do the job. I use PVC coated plant props that can be purchased at most hardware stores, wal-marts, and plant places. Most of the time I can find these for under a buck a peice. This year I found them for .56 a peice.

I just take a pair of pliers and open the top part up then shape it into a "U" to fit snug around the keel. It doesn't have to be pretty...just test it out on the decoy to make sure it holds it up. takes about 30 seconds to bend it the way I want. As I said earlier most of the time I can find these for under a buck. This year I did 3 dozen decoys for under 20 bucks. The steal used in the stake is just pliable enough that the decoy will move back and forth in the wind as well. I dont know...it works for me I guess!!!!
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:01 am

tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting