Duck Hunting Forum banner

Rice field set up

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  grits 
#1 ·
Im new to hunting rice fields and I have lease for this year. It's seems pretty typical flooded pond in front and behind the blind is a field with some wild rice. I know geese don't like to fly over duck decoys and ducks will decoy to geese. My question is what is a typical spread for this kind of set up? How many decoys and how to have both geese and duck decoys set up. Any advice is appreciated

#2 ·
which way does you checks run? This plays a big part in your set up. East to west is best for our wind conditions here in cali. I always us speck decoys to the west of my blind and duck to the east leaving the middle open. Keep in mind this is in our north pond (rice field), with some decoys in south but no goose decoys. Leave opening front and back of blind for birds to pass over the blind . We use @36 goose decoys and 200 duck. This has worked for the past 10 years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.