Field hunting help

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field hunting help

Postby FowlMouth19 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:19 pm

So I have permission to hunt a sod field right on the river. Hunted it twice for geese and seen a ton of ducks, they were flying low enough over the goose decoys for pass by shots if the season was open. I am thinking about trying it for ducks this coming weekend. I have never hunted ducks in a field. I have 2 doz floating mallards I was thinking about setting up (also might buy a mojo seems that people swear by them when field hunting) So I have a lot of questions. Any difference in calling in a field than over water? How many decoys should I set out? Should I put some goose fullbodies out as well? Will the mojo help me as much as I think it will? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
FowlMouth19
hunter

Re: Field hunting help

Postby gooserslan » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:24 pm

In PA we are not allowed Mojo's so what we depend on when field duck hunting is LOUD calling. I have a mix of full body duck decoys and some shot up floaters that I just cut the keel off. Most of the time we are duck hunting fields we are also hunting geese at the same time. Geese help to catch their attention. When they get in close give them a lot of feed chatter and greeting quacks. Sometimes we have had to call ducks to the ground it almost seems like or they will just fly off into the distance. We run 18 full bodies and 6 black duck shells and six mallard shells.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 am

I've hunted geese and ducks in fields with much more luck at geese because of my location.
If we had more ducks I'm sure I'd be killing them but we get mostly Giant Canada Geese.

The goose call I use is incredibly loud. I use an Olt A-50.

The reason you need to call so much louder in a field is that there's no water to reflect the sound. Half your sound gets deadened by the field, grass, and stubble or whatever. You might try "aiming" your call at flocks which is a no-no on water imo.

This is also why "Timber" calls have to be softer. The water bounces the calls all over the place.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby SPatrick » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:44 pm

You really dont need to bother with the full body ducks, if you have them great if not dont worry about it. Ducks will come into goose decoys no prob, geese on the other hand don't really like to come in over ducks. Spinners are a must. Call loud, call aggressive, hard cut feeds and scream at them on the corners. They are coming to the field to feed, so a majority of your calling should be feeding.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby FowlMouth19 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Awesome guys thanks alot for the info. Incredible amount of ducks fly over this field. Last yr on a late season goose hunt we had 2 sets of mallards drop into our goose decoys while we were sitting there with our doors wide open on the layouts. If everything goes as planned they should come right in feet hangin. Keepin my fingers crossed.
FowlMouth19
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:01 pm

I have tried feild hunting a couple times but never had any real success someone said that i was not hunting over enough decoys i used a dozen mallards. Should i be using more and maybe add a little diversity to the spread?
barryboy08
hunter

Postby kswildcat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:23 pm

We shot these last weekend in a no-till winter wheat field. Our spread consisted of 4dz fullbody geese, 2 dz fullbody mallards, and 2 mojos. We had 3 guys, 1 clucking on the goose call, 1 doing a constant feeder chuckle, and the third calling at the tips and tails and then some softer finishing quacks on their way into the kill hole. We got all our ducks in real close, our longest shot probably being 20 yards. This is the routine we try to use whenever hunting ducks in a field, and it seems to work for us.
Attachments
IMG00333-20111111-1109.jpg
kswildcat
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks for the pointers and it looks like you guys had a great hunt congrats :thumbsup:
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Postby kswildcat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks Barry! It was our first hunt of the season, and a fun one at that!
Another thing, concealment is a BIG part of a successful hunt, possibly the second most important thing, right behind location. Brush your blinds until you think they're good enough, and then spend another 20 or 30 minutes on them. :thumbsup:
kswildcat
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:32 am

barryboy08 wrote:I have tried feild hunting a couple times but never had any real success someone said that i was not hunting over enough decoys i used a dozen mallards. Should i be using more and maybe add a little diversity to the spread?

If you are in the spot where the ducks want to be, you only need but a half dozen or a dozen decoys and a spinner. If you are trying to pull them from another location, or pull down migrators, you will need quite a few decoys. Usually around 3-4 dozen geese, and a couple dozen mallards.

Spinners are the best thing that could have happened for field hunters, they will bring ducks in much better than they do over water. Just make sure you have a remote for them so you can shut them off if geese come, geese hate them.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting