Field Decoys...

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field Decoys...

Postby MJO21 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:08 am

Do field decoys have to be standing? I do not have any field decoys, and will not be buying any. I am curious if I take my floaters and set them on the ground so they are upright will that also work?
MJO21
hunter

Re: Field Decoys...

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:49 pm

sure, if you can push the keels into the dirt. Think avery sells a kit that is a stake with a slot on top so you can use your floaters in the field.
BBK
hunter

Postby Fowlmouth421 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Cabelas is selling leg kits that slide onto the keels. They are $25 for 6.
Fowlmouth421
hunter

Postby WalkinHunter » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:08 am

Not really. If your fields have stubble or wheat they can rest on that. A little angle does not hurt anyway, ducks are always looking up when in fields, just as long as the keel is not obvious.

I've seen those duck feet made to fit on or over the keel. Gonna give them a try next season. Here is a link for info on them.
http://www.gotduckfeet.com/
WalkinHunter
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:51 am

That's what we do. The only thing is they don't show up all that well so I don't know how much that helps. What we did is just carried a little shovel and I'd take off a chunk of dirt and push the keel into the dirt. Next year my friend I hunt with said we should buy a couple dozen of cheap tanglefree waterdecoys, cut the keel off and drive stakes into them turning them into field decoys because actual field decoys are so expensive.
luie b
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting