For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Postby jb86 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:04 pm

:sad:
Last edited by jb86 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb86
hunter

Re: duck choke's

Postby bflow08 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:11 am

Well the sight is all up to you.. Put one on if you want... i used to shoot only with a bead, but i got a tru glow sight and haven’t looked back.. It’s easier for me to see in the mornings... as far as a choke I would recommend a modified choke.. You can get them just about anywhere that sells outdoor supplies, I think Wal-Mart even sells them.. Chokes can be complicated depending on where your hunting and the type of pattern you want to shoot, weather its shooting over decoys, or in a timber environment. If your just starting out i would go with a regular modified, as for your sight, you don’t need one, but if you want one go for it.. It’s standard on a duck gun to have a bead.
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:26 am

jb86, welcome to the addictive sport of waterfowling!

I've never heard of a shotgun coming without at least one choke. What kind of shotgun is it and what gauge? If you are purchasing it used, one could understand the previous owner not wanting to sell the chokes with it. Since you are new to shotgunning, it may be that the gun has a fixed choke, not changeable. Let us know a little more about the gun and we may be of more help. Without more info, a modified or improved cylinder choke would adequately serve both your needs. I would get both. Some steel loads pattern better with one or the other.
On the sight vs bead issue, one does not "aim" a shotgun, you point it. The bead or sight is not looked at, the object that you are attempting to drop in flight is the focus point. The only time I have ever knowingly used the bead on any shotgun is when attempting to dispatch a cripple on the water and knowing I had to shoot a few inches over the head because of the pellet drop.

I would also highly suggest that you visit a sporting clays range or skeet or trap range and get in some practice "handling" your new gun. It's fun and will make you a better wildfowl hunter.

Good luck!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby jb86 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:51 pm

my gun is a new englend pardner 12 gauge pump with field barrel got it for 200 with nothink on it no choke included not the best gun but im sure ill scratch it up and so forth being new to the game but no choke pritty much from what ive seen its a rem 870 copy
jb86
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:18 pm

The sight is up to you. I personally look at the bead and the bird, I pull up and put the bead on the duck then swing the barrel out ahead and pull the trigger. I put a red ivory bead on my gun so its easy to see against a cloudy or sunny day, but not so easy in the morning.

As for choke, make sure its actually "choked" and not just a fixed barrel (no choke tubes)
BBK
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Does it have threads on the inside the barrel to screw in a choke?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby jb86 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:10 pm

oo yer the gun has a thread for a choke just no choke its kinda strange :fingerhead:
jb86
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:12 pm

jb86 wrote:oo yer the gun has a thread for a choke just no choke its kinda strange :fingerhead:

Not really, the guy probably sold off the factory ones and bought replacement expensive ones.. then when it came time to sell he kept the expensive chokes and sold it without a choke.
BBK
hunter

Postby jb86 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:24 pm

i found out that you are right. the guy had got a very nice choke and taken of the factory one and diddent remember to put it back on the gun so i askd him about it and he had no problem with giveing me the factory chock so makes my life a little easyer hahaa :smile:
jb86
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 pm

what choke is it?
BBK
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:30 am

I like the fiber optics sights for low light as well as normal hunting for ducks or geese. I suggest a modified choke ( you may have got lucky and that may be what the factory one is). Just make sure it is not a "full choke" as that is only for LEAD shot ( yes I know there are exceptions for this but not the norm on a factory choke). You want to make sure you have a "steel" shot choke for safety and results. Welcome the life style it is fun,rewarding and very addictive so be prepared. :hi:
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby jb86 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:36 pm

it is a full choke (sigh) its the one that came with the gun so im guessing ill have to get a diffrent one for duck. any brands tips w/e will help allot and can i get one cheaper online or do i need a gunsmith to assist me>? thx
jb86
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:21 pm

jb86 wrote:it is a full choke (sigh) its the one that came with the gun so im guessing ill have to get a diffrent one for duck. any brands tips w/e will help allot and can i get one cheaper online or do i need a gunsmith to assist me>? thx

First you need to find out what brand the choke is and what your barrel is choked for. Then you can search online and find replacement chokes or spend some extra cash and get a fancy one. Improved cylinder for close up shots up to 35-40 yards, modified if you plan to shoot on that 35-40 range.
BBK
hunter

Postby -Dave- » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:27 am

dont shoot steel out of that full unless its rated for steel, personally i have a carlsons full extended range in my gun and patterns really nice with #2 kents. this choke is rated for steel and heavy shot so it wont blow up like one thats not rated. also id just stick to the bead, i think it would be easier than a sight for ducks, but never used a gun with a sight on it for ducks so its kinda a biased oppinion.

Dave
-Dave-
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Here you go. It's on the second page. Uses the Winchester, Browning Invector, Mossberg 500 tubes.

http://www.choketube.com/CarlsonsInterchange.pdf
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby handgunner41 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Keep it simple. Search Midway USA,Grafs or any sporting goods store for an improved modified or modified choke. Don't spend money on a "sight" shotguns are pointed not aimed. Look at your target pull the trigger and keep the gun moving after your shot. Nothing fancy needed.
handgunner41
hunter

Postby thomc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:28 pm

The stock is really the sight. Take the gun, unload it, stand in front of a mirror, raise the gun and point it at your eye in the mirror. Look to see how the gun lines up with your eye. Try extra clothes on or off if the gun doesnt line up right. You may have to shorten or lengthen the stock. Maybe you can adjust how you hold the gun to get a good sight in. Then practice shooting your gun unloaded of course swinging along the line between your house wall and the ceiling and pulling the trigger at the corner and swinging thru. If you do this for hours while watching silly sit coms you will get a good start on shooting shot guns. OK forget the silly sitcoms. Also first check which eye is your dominate eye. Then go out and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Edit change your shirt is what I should have said, if you change your pants to get a good gun fit then LOL :hi:
thomc
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting