What does it take to successfully field hunt?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

What does it take to successfully field hunt?

Postby BuckCreek » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:20 am

Dry field hunting for ducks isnt really done much around the area I live. I do know of some success that the people have had doing it and would like to be set to have that option. I know of 3 different groups that use 3 different styles of spreads. One is 1 doz goose 6 mojos, second 18 mojos no other decoys, 3rd 10 doz fullbody duck 6-8 mojos. I have a few hundred goose decoys and 0 field duck. I would primarly be hunting water but just to have the option to try field hunting whats the minimum I would need to make it worth going out. Are fullbody ducks a waste and just use goose or buy a few doz duck to mix in. What do you guys suggest? Thanks
BuckCreek
hunter

Re: What does it take to successfully field hunt?

Postby kb9zgb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:50 am

try to mix it up some, if your going for geese then bring more geese decoys if ducks then more duck decoys. field hunting can be insane. a few things you will absolutely need. COVER. they will see you. cover up as best as you can. Ive noticed that ducks will bunch up in a field so plan your decoy spread accordingly . they tend to come in by 2" or 3"s some times more but not very often. hang a few dove decoys in the trees s if you can. seems to add confidence. Let a few in it helps bring in others. past that it"s trial and error.
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby Nick Roehl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Ducks will come into goose decoys. You don't need field ducks but I like them for confidence. I have ran different numbers of mojos and 2-3 works good for me. Most of my hunts with 2-3 people we will run 3-8 doz fb geese, 2-4 doz fb mallards, and 2-3 mojos.
Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:06 am

Nick Roehl wrote:Ducks will come into goose decoys. You don't need field ducks but I like them for confidence. I have ran different numbers of mojos and 2-3 works good for me. Most of my hunts with 2-3 people we will run 3-8 doz fb geese, 2-4 doz fb mallards, and 2-3 mojos.

Ive seen that too...I mostly like using the FB Mallard decoys in addition to my duck floater spread. A couple floaters and a dozen or two of the FB Mallards and the birds work in really well :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:29 pm

In the many years I have hunted there are many days the geese would never even look at our decoys but few days when we didn't get buzzed by ducks.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting