Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:19 am

I was thinking about investing in some Baby Mojo Mallards and before I did I was wondering if they really work, anyone know? :help:
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am
Location: Hamburg, Iowa


Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby Fowl'in up NORTH » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Yup get as many as you can get yy=our hands on. I have heard of people just using 24 mojos and that's it.


They hammered them.
Fowl'in up NORTH
hunter
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:11 am
Location: twin citys , Minnesota

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby bluegreenteal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Know a guy that uses only 1 mojo. And shoots his limit.
bluegreenteal
hunter
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:11 pm
Location: Iowa Great Lakes

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby pmahler » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Using 24 mojo's mightbethedumbestthing I have ever heard of. If you do your homework, I.e. scouting all you need is a layout dressed well in the type of cover you are hunting, somes stand up's & a spinner...MAYBE 2.

Just to give youan idea I hunted the Wed before Xmas & all I had was 1 mojo & my lay-out. 1 hour later taking single drakes out of flocks I had my 7.

Do the math : 24 Mojos at $75-100 a pop versus 1 or 2 & 1-2 dozen full body's. Also, get the baby mojosas they are easier to get into the ground lateseasonwhenit is frozen (weigh less). I also bring a dewalt drill to help get the poles started.
pmahler
hunter
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:57 am

I would sure like to experience hunting over a Mojo and witness all the "magic" :yes: In Oregon we can't use motorized dekes, the closest is wind powered spinners....which I have very mixed opinions about. I would imagine a spinner of any kind would work well in a corn field :thumbsup:
Jonesy
User avatar
njonesy_07
State Moderator
 
Posts: 4550
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 pm
Location: OR

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby RFerguson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:31 pm

MOJO's are magic in cornfields. We will run anywhere from 1 to 3 trying to give it a different look. Goose FB decoys work real well also.
User avatar
RFerguson
hunter
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Western New York

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby Tunicamojo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Mojos always help field hunting. We use them on rice fields in MS mostly.
Anyone needing any let me know, ive got some new ones I can sell.
PM me
Mojo Dealer
Pro staff- Spectra Shot
Tunicamojo
hunter
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby dduckman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:46 pm

we run a vortex with 2 air lucky ducks on it, simply deadly.
dduckman
hunter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:09 pm

save your money and get some hard core full body ducks at $120 a doz
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby dmiller_time » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:51 pm

I have never personaly used them in the duck blind but I have used them for doevs and they do work wonders, I have 3 mojo doves and they will try to light right on them. Actually going in the mornin with some boys that use them, be a first for me.
dmiller_time
hunter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:26 am

I got one Mojo at Bass Pro two days ago and I cant wait to use it and $120 for 12 is horrible!
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am
Location: Hamburg, Iowa

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby max4mafia44 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 pm

A mojo in corn works great!! The floating ones make a world of difference too and add a jerk string or two and you will have ducks back-flapping in the decoys.
-Max-4-Mafia-
User avatar
max4mafia44
hunter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:54 pm
Location: Athens/Auburn, AL

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby morro bay » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:17 pm

dmiller_time wrote:I have never personaly used them in the duck blind but I have used them for doevs and they do work wonders, I have 3 mojo doves and they will try to light right on them. Actually going in the mornin with some boys that use them, be a first for me.
Your dove spinners will work just fine for killing ducks in the corn.
morro bay
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby BBK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Dont even need any duck decoys. Just a mojo or three set off to the side of the geese. Remember to only use them with remotes, because geese HATE them. Turn them off when the big birds start coming.
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 2966
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby TLRMADE » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:24 pm

My buddy hates them and others swear they work. I'd say just try em out!
User avatar
TLRMADE
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:42 pm

BBK wrote:Dont even need any duck decoys. Just a mojo or three set off to the side of the geese. Remember to only use them with remotes, because geese HATE them. Turn them off when the big birds start coming.


:ditto:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
User avatar
i_willie12
hunter
 
Posts: 4228
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Marshall MO

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:59 pm

I dont have any duck shells but I do have 1 dozen Flambeau and like 7 or 8 shell idk what they are and 2 dozen floater/field Canadas. And over 150 floaters ducks that I can use with my 1 Mojo. (I'm gong to get about 4 more)
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am
Location: Hamburg, Iowa

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby tealdog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 am

njonesy_07 wrote:I would sure like to experience hunting over a Mojo and witness all the "magic" :yes: In Oregon we can't use motorized dekes, the closest is wind powered spinners....which I have very mixed opinions about. I would imagine a spinner of any kind would work well in a corn field :thumbsup:

Your a bit behind the times if you think a wind powered spinner is the closest thing to a mojo you can use :hammer:
User avatar
tealdog
hunter
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: scouting, it's all about the scouting

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby Bob Caygeon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:55 am

tealdog wrote:
njonesy_07 wrote:I would sure like to experience hunting over a Mojo and witness all the "magic" :yes: In Oregon we can't use motorized dekes, the closest is wind powered spinners....which I have very mixed opinions about. I would imagine a spinner of any kind would work well in a corn field :thumbsup:

Your a bit behind the times if you think a wind powered spinner is the closest thing to a mojo you can use :hammer:
can you elaborate?
User avatar
Bob Caygeon
hunter
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:28 am
Location: New York

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Geese hate them. An absolute magnet for ducks on dry fields. Won't use on water except in very specific situations, but a necesity on a field hunt!
:beer:
User avatar
WI River Widow Maker
hunter
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:45 pm

I would get one for sure.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
User avatar
goodkarmarising
hunter
 
Posts: 10874
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:57 am
Location: Leavenworth, KS and all thru MO

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby alloutwar13 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Bob Caygeon wrote:
tealdog wrote:
njonesy_07 wrote:I would sure like to experience hunting over a Mojo and witness all the "magic" :yes: In Oregon we can't use motorized dekes, the closest is wind powered spinners....which I have very mixed opinions about. I would imagine a spinner of any kind would work well in a corn field :thumbsup:

Your a bit behind the times if you think a wind powered spinner is the closest thing to a mojo you can use :hammer:
can you elaborate?


Here in Pa we cant use battery powered dekes either. The two best options are the Winduk brand wind powered spinner or you can also get a pull string mojo which is the better option.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
User avatar
alloutwar13
hunter
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:21 am
Location: Red Lion, Pa

Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby Coleman24 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:12 am

I haven't read what others have said but they work... Here in pa we aren't allowed electronic decoys, but I hunted with some guys here that use pull chord spinning wing decoys and it sucked them right in!! I hunted over one in new jersey also, and it worked great. I dont have a lot of experience with them, but the experience I do have with them has been nothing but positive!
User avatar
Coleman24
hunter
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Lebanon, PA

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:46 pm

i_willie12 wrote:
BBK wrote:Dont even need any duck decoys. Just a mojo or three set off to the side of the geese. Remember to only use them with remotes, because geese HATE them. Turn them off when the big birds start coming.


:ditto:


Agreed. And there really is no limit to how many mojos you can run. Think about the size of some of the flocks of ducks that land in a field... I am never going to waste my money on field mallard decoys because they are simply not needed
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
User avatar
BGipson
hunter
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: Cambridge, ID

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:15 am

On those days when there is seemingly a spread in every field, and everybody is running 12 dozen honkers and 3 mojos, a duck only field spread and running 2 groups of 3-5 spinners can be the difference between shooting 6 ducks for 6 guys or shooting a 6 man limit. Most days field ducks aren't needed like others have stated; canadas and 1 or 2 spinners will work, but there is plenty of days where field mallards have their place. Especially on stale, staged up birds.

For the guys that cannot used motorized decoys, look up "flutterwings". :thumbsup:
tornadochaser
hunter
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Next

Return to Field Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scott. and 2 guests

cron