Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Re: Do Mojos work good in the corn field?

Postby duckman2525 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:18 pm

BBK wrote:So all hunters that use spinners cant call and shoot long shots? I think you are making assumptions just to prove yourself right in your own mind. Yes, some do not have a clue how to hunt.. but to lump everybody that uses spinners into that category is not right. I bet there are tons of hunters by you that use spinners and are A+ callers and hunters. You just see the bad and find something to blame it on.

You don't hunt here, you wouldn't know...the A+ callers and hunters don't need them in the first place. And i'm not lumping everyone, just the public timber boys...these are not my opinions but facts in my area. Most of the spinner geeks do it on purpose because they get a cheap thrill out of being **** heads and ruining hunts, a sad fact but a true one. And yes i see the bad, i'm out there 45-60 out of 60 days every year....i see the bad every single day. I just hate to see people selling themselves out short over a robot. Arkansas is known for having the best timber hunting in the world, and we do, but its a crying shame to see what it has become in the last 10 years, its not even comparable to the pre spinner days. It's a truly sad sight to behold. There are unwritten rules and etiquette on public timber hunting and the spinner contradicts most of them...Until you spend a season or two in my shoes you'll never understand. But if you ever do, you'll feel EXACTLY how i do about it.
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:46 am

i think the people that complain about the spinners do need to adapt. they are the ones that come on here and brag about how many bands they have or how they "only shoot 2 3/4 xpert shot and never have a cripple because i call them in so close," or "i don't hunt corn fields because i don't hunt over bait," or "my awesome waterfowl team i play on shot 5,000 ducks." their ego gets so big that it starts it's own forum. each state is different. i have landed 50+ ducks with and without a mojo. i always choose not to take a shot to not educate them all. i can only imagine what would have been said online about when plastic decoys came out and better paint schemes compared to black aluminum silo's or mud decoys. things will always change in waterfowling. adapt, quit whining, and hunt. wheather it's a new mud motor, an indestructable boat, an acrylic call, new shotgun shells, new camo or shotgun, i am sure EVERYONE hunts with something more modern than the old days. i think if someone has true "talent" and "skill" i think they would be able to call in ducks reguardless if there are 100 mojos around him or not. i have yet to see one person show up in the marsh with irrigation boots, a wooden call, plaid red jackets, and a mad bomber hat made out of the muskrats he trapped the season before.... waiting for ducks to fly over to shoot with his double barrell hammer cocked gun. but that's just my neck of the woods
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:51 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:i think the people that complain about the spinners do need to adapt. they are the ones that come on here and brag about how many bands they have or how they "only shoot 2 3/4 xpert shot and never have a cripple because i call them in so close," or "i don't hunt corn fields because i don't hunt over bait," or "my awesome waterfowl team i play on shot 5,000 ducks." their ego gets so big that it starts it's own forum. each state is different. i have landed 50+ ducks with and without a mojo. i always choose not to take a shot to not educate them all. i can only imagine what would have been said online about when plastic decoys came out and better paint schemes compared to black aluminum silo's or mud decoys. things will always change in waterfowling. adapt, quit whining, and hunt. wheather it's a new mud motor, an indestructable boat, an acrylic call, new shotgun shells, new camo or shotgun, i am sure EVERYONE hunts with something more modern than the old days. i think if someone has true "talent" and "skill" i think they would be able to call in ducks reguardless if there are 100 mojos around him or not. i have yet to see one person show up in the marsh with irrigation boots, a wooden call, plaid red jackets, and a mad bomber hat made out of the muskrats he trapped the season before.... waiting for ducks to fly over to shoot with his double barrell hammer cocked gun. but that's just my neck of the woods

different strokes for different folks!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 pm

I am glad that Washington State upheld the ban on Mojo's and other mechanized duck hunting tools. I see them as additional weight I do not want or need in my boat or blind bags. Jerk cord decoys do a great job, as does chucking rocks found at the blind site. If you live in a state where they are legal and want to use them more power to you. Just remember that many people will used them as a crutch in place of skills they are to lazy to learn. Is that everyone who uses them? Not by a long shot. There are always expert hunters who will use them to great success, and slob hunters who use them to pull birds despite no other skills. The real problem is the slob hunter not the equipment. We get a lot of skybusting here with no spinners involved.

For me I never have had one, and never will even if they become legal. I don't want to fiddle with the batteries, easily broken equipment, and weight. I longbow hunt for deer and elk for the same reason. I like to keep it simple.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:44 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:I am glad that Washington State upheld the ban on Mojo's and other mechanized duck hunting tools. I see them as additional weight I do not want or need in my boat or blind bags. Jerk cord decoys do a great job, as does chucking rocks found at the blind site. If you live in a state where they are legal and want to use them more power to you. Just remember that many people will used them as a crutch in place of skills they are to lazy to learn. Is that everyone who uses them? Not by a long shot. There are always expert hunters who will use them to great success, and slob hunters who use them to pull birds despite no other skills. The real problem is the slob hunter not the equipment. We get a lot of skybusting here with no spinners involved.

For me I never have had one, and never will even if they become legal. I don't want to fiddle with the batteries, easily broken equipment, and weight. I longbow hunt for deer and elk for the same reason. I like to keep it simple.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
duckman2525
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 am

Maybe you guys missed the name of the thread. Jerk strings in corn fields dont work. Throwing rocks in corn fields will not work. Duckman2525: How many cornfields have you hunted?
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:26 am

Bob Caygeon wrote:Maybe you guys missed the name of the thread. Jerk strings in corn fields dont work. Throwing rocks in corn fields will not work. Duckman2525: How many cornfields have you hunted?

several :thumbsup:

i'm not a topwater, i don't use gadgets
duckman2525
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am

you can use a jerk string anywhere you can float a decoy...if you know how to make one, which i'm pretty sure my dog could do and he don't even have thumbs
duckman2525
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:47 am

The people that have and use Robo's are not Lazy or Stupid. If you hate them its ok, but if you think it's such a unfair advantage to the next guy and want to do things the way it "Was in the old days" Sell that camo shotgun with 1600 fps loads and put your Grandpappys muzzel loader in the duck blind. THINGS CHANGE and by the way .....get rid of your cell phone :fingerpt:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:15 pm

War Wagon wrote:The people that have and use Robo's are not Lazy or Stupid. If you hate them its ok, but if you think it's such a unfair advantage to the next guy and want to do things the way it "Was in the old days" Sell that camo shotgun with 1600 fps loads and put your Grandpappys muzzel loader in the duck blind. THINGS CHANGE and by the way .....get rid of your cell phone :fingerpt:

+1
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:47 pm

The people that have and use Robo's are not Lazy or Stupid. If you hate them its ok, but if you think it's such a unfair advantage to the next guy and want to do things the way it "Was in the old days" Sell that camo shotgun with 1600 fps loads and put your Grandpappys muzzel loader in the duck blind. THINGS CHANGE and by the way .....get rid of your cell phone

ME TOO! :lol: :lol:

The thing about mojos...They are a tool and can be misused. The guys who don't like them don't know how to use them correctly.

I'll give some observations and tips if ya'll don't mind.

First of all duckman2525 hunts timber and mojos don't really work that good in timber because the ducks are not visually looking but are homing in on the calls and looking for water ripples. Timber hunting is just different than what everyone else does in general.

Now field hunting and big water...mojos are deadly when used properly. here is why:
I've had a guy that scouted ducks in an airplane tell me what a mojo looks like from 6000 feet high.
He said, "they look like strobe lights". That gets the duck's attention anyway.

If you locate and set up a mojo or two properly and also have jerk strings that are almost on top of the mojos you can get ducks to land RIGHT THERE. This is very important when you have a blind with 6 or 8 guys in it. You want to PUT the ducks where everyone gets a chance at shooting them.

If you use a "w" shape and have the wind right you can put the mojos at the crotches of the w and have ducks landing right where you want them if you know what you're doing.

The thing about mojos is you want to set them up almost right at the water height. Otherwise it looks like a duck on a stick. This is why the floating mojos are a little better imo. In a corn field I'd set them up very low to the ground. I never have used a mojo on land because I hunt in the water.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:46 am

aunt betty wrote:The guys who don't like them don't know how to use them correctly.

Seems to me like most folks that hate Mojos do so because they work so well most anyone can kill birds with them, regardless of their other skills.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby s.c.i.e.n.c.e » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 pm

duckman2525 wrote:
BBK wrote:So all hunters that use spinners cant call and shoot long shots? I think you are making assumptions just to prove yourself right in your own mind. Yes, some do not have a clue how to hunt.. but to lump everybody that uses spinners into that category is not right. I bet there are tons of hunters by you that use spinners and are A+ callers and hunters. You just see the bad and find something to blame it on.

You don't hunt here, you wouldn't know...the A+ callers and hunters don't need them in the first place. And i'm not lumping everyone, just the public timber boys...these are not my opinions but facts in my area. Most of the spinner geeks do it on purpose because they get a cheap thrill out of being **** heads and ruining hunts, a sad fact but a true one. And yes i see the bad, i'm out there 45-60 out of 60 days every year....i see the bad every single day. I just hate to see people selling themselves out short over a robot. Arkansas is known for having the best timber hunting in the world, and we do, but its a crying shame to see what it has become in the last 10 years, its not even comparable to the pre spinner days. It's a truly sad sight to behold. There are unwritten rules and etiquette on public timber hunting and the spinner contradicts most of them...Until you spend a season or two in my shoes you'll never understand. But if you ever do, you'll feel EXACTLY how i do about it.

You bitch a lot duckman. I'd like our group to shoot 250 a year let alone 900.
s.c.i.e.n.c.e
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Yeah no crap, I would give a foot to be able to shoot 900 birds in one season. Our group shoots 20-30 on opening weekend then maybe 20 the rest of the season.
BBK
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I think I'm going to get a mojo and give it a try.
I've been hunting for my entire life, always change it up, In the 70's I hunted my Dads Korean war issue USMC field jacket with hand painted blotches of brown tan black to make a camo pattern
in the 80 I hunted a newer Army field jacket already camo
90's wore my Army desert camo's from iraq/somalia in corn fields
presently wearing a nice warm weather proof goretex top/bottom combo of hitec camo.
Decoys I used 35 years ago have since been retired
shotgun has been rebuilt and replaced
boat has been replace a couple times
I have new and old calls

I am still going to update my gear as I age I will get a camo walker in a few season and then mount my mojo on it place it right in front of my adjustable hospital bed layout blind and shoot flocks of 1000 birds.

Good thing duck hunters hate other duck hunters thats the way to get more people into the sporting way of life.

I will try to hunt over a mojo, I'm not a "kid, idiot, fool" the list of great titles was endless from previous posts. I love the HATE
conservation guy
hunter

Postby rwperry » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:14 am

Mojo's don't work anymore. Ducks are used to them. If you use them at all use them early morning then pull them out when the sun comes up.
rwperry
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 am

rwperry wrote:Mojo's don't work anymore. Ducks are used to them. If you use them at all use them early morning then pull them out when the sun comes up.

:lol3:
BBK
hunter

Postby rwperry » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:18 pm

:lol3:[/quote]

You laugh but you have a 50 bird season. Not much room to talk...
rwperry
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:48 pm

rwperry wrote:Mojo's don't work anymore. Ducks are used to them. If you use them at all use them early morning then pull them out when the sun comes up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 pm

rwperry wrote:
:lol3:

You laugh but you have a 50 bird season. Not much room to talk...

I'm serious, I have never heard something so stupid said on this forum.

I suppose pintail decoys should only be used on odd number days because they are used to seeing them.
BBK
hunter

Postby rwperry » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:10 pm

haha ok think what you want. You keep killing your 50
rwperry
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:48 am

Hillarious.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 am

LOL really?!?! Does sound kinda stupid.... I'm not all about duck numbers but I shot WELL over 50 (LUCK) and I leave my mojo teal and mallard out all day till the suckers die. But our limits usually come first. As far as someone shooting "just 50," some states sucked for ducks this passed season. He may have shot the only 50 he saw all season. You need to remember that most of these guys were hunting before you were even on this earth. Kids... :rolleyes:
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby rwperry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:04 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:

LOL really?!?! Does sound kinda stupid.... I'm not all about duck numbers but I shot WELL over 50 (LUCK) and I leave my mojo teal and mallard out all day till the suckers die. But our limits usually come first. As far as someone shooting "just 50," some states sucked for ducks this passed season. He may have shot the only 50 he saw all season. You need to remember that most of these guys were hunting before you were even on this earth. Kids... :rolleyes:

Well maybe thats why you are out "ALL DAY"
rwperry
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:08 pm

rwperry wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:

Well maybe thats why you are out "ALL DAY"

lol... I saw your other pics. Sorry, I didn't realise you were only like 12. :welcome: to the forum little guy...
Last edited by JuniorPre 360 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Field Duck Hunting