Duck Hunting Forum banner

Recent Field Hunt With Seven Limits of Ducks

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  BGipson 
#1 ·
We were blessed to have a successful duck hunt recently while filming for a CWA www.thecwa.org DVD project.

See less See more
#6 ·
MossyMallard12 said:
:thumbsup: :clapping: Wow good shooting I've always wanted to shoot a Wigeon or Pintail, my two favorite ducks, good job! :thumbsup: :clapping:
Thanks for the kind words.
I know what you mean about the Wigeons and Pintails. We were fortunate to see a lot of them this year.

#9 ·
duckman2525 said:
pmahler said:
Looks like a lot of dead hens in there. Not plummed up enough this late in the season? Ha ha, good shoot though.

PS - dead hens don't lay eggs
Seriously? There are hardly any hens in that pic...

PS - dead drakes don't breed live hens
There's a couple hens in there, but it's not too bad. But if there were enough birds flying for a 7 man limit, I'd only be shooting drakes. I'm not against shooting hens, but would never shoot a hen when a drake's in range.

But saying that killing drakes will result in hens that aren't bred is wrong. There are plenty of other drakes that will handle that.

#10 ·
River Ramblin' Man said:
duckman2525 said:
pmahler said:
Looks like a lot of dead hens in there. Not plummed up enough this late in the season? Ha ha, good shoot though.

There's a couple hens in there, but it's not too bad. But if there were enough birds flying for a 7 man limit, I'd only be shooting drakes. I'm not against shooting hens, but would never shoot a hen when a drake's in range.

But saying that killing drakes will result in hens that aren't bred is wrong. There are plenty of other drakes that will handle that.
I think the point was that some folks can't just be happy for a group of guys that went out and shot a very respectable pile of birds. There's hardly enough hens in that photo to even bring it up....maybe 1 per hunter?

To the OP...great pic, great hunt! Nevermind the nay-sayers and spoil sports. I'd jump on a hunt like that in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
CutEm214 said:
River Ramblin' Man said:
duckman2525 said:
pmahler said:

I think the point was that some folks can't just be happy for a group of guys that went out and shot a very respectable pile of birds. There's hardly enough hens in that photo to even bring it up....maybe 1 per hunter?

To the OP...great pic, great hunt! Nevermind the nay-sayers and spoil sports. I'd jump on a hunt like that in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:
X2, nice hunt boys.

#12 ·
I agree that it was a great hunt, I've never been on a hunt where we killed a 7 man limit! I even said that there's not too many hens in there. The point I was trying to make was that the "dead drakes don't breed hens" thing doesn't mean that those hens won't be bred.

#13 ·
Great hunt boys! As for the hen debate, I know for a fact that hens without a set male will be bred.... she may be killed in the process, no lie, but she will be bred. If you have ever spent any time in the midwest in late spring you should have witness "rape flight"; rape flight is where a lone hen starts flying (for some reason or other) and inadvertently attracts the attention of every bachelor male in the area who then proceed to chase her and beat her with their wings until she falls from the sky so they can gangbang. As you can imagine the brutality is often too much and the hen dies... sorry for such a "graphic" post but nature can be ugly :crying:

#16 ·
callinfowl said:
Thanks for the gangbang visual !
Cutt'um all Jack !!!!!!!!! :yes: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :crying: :lol3:
Here's a video I took in North Dakota a few summers back. I'd recommend muting it because I was babbling on about nothing with my girlfriend at the time :fingerhead:

#17 ·
I've watched more than a couple of what might have seemed "rape flights," where the Susie was actually dragging up the rear watching the drakes fuss each other, as if enjoying the fight over her. Have never seen a hen forced from the air. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it go that way. Such flights I've seen conclude did so with a pair.

#18 ·
Rick Hall said:
I've watched more than a couple of what might have seemed "rape flights," where the Susie was actually dragging up the rear watching the drakes fuss each other, as if enjoying the fight over her. Have never seen a hen forced from the air. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it go that way. Such flights I've seen conclude did so with a pair.
This was in Woodworth, North Dakota in June 7, 2010. In this case she wasn't knocked to the ground but she was definitely the bird of the hour getting chased by all those males. This just happened to be the only video I had of this happening. I have seen it hens forced to the ground/water but never had my camera easily accessible when it did. Hens will die in some cases from the trauma or drowning.

#19 ·
Again, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've not seen it. In normal years I'm afield pretty much daily and get to see a lot of courtship flights, but unpaired mallards are pretty much gone north by the end of March, with the stragglers being paired birds. Our resident "Summer mallards" continuing the air show after that are mottled ducks, which could be more polite than their cousins. Dunno.

#20 ·
I totally understand! I only saw it happen a handful of times in the 5 years I was in the Dakotas so it is not a common occurrence by any stretch. I was working outside around wetlands almost every day every summer I was there. It may just be a regional thing also, I dunno? I suppose now that I think about it, it has been mallards every time I've seen it occur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.