Getting permission from landowners...

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Postby nwwaterpolo11 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:36 am

I'm new to the duck hunting community, and with my location and lack of resources, I will be field hunting. How would you go about getting permission to hunt on private land? (when, what to do/say) I will be asking in the Rockford, il area if that helps. Thanks
Underradar wrote: I hope so. In heaven, dogs get to eat Koreans.
nwwaterpolo11
hunter

Re: Getting permission from landowners...

Postby FowlOffspring » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm

I live in oregon and hunt almost always over water but my mother lives in Belvidere and have often thought of hunting out there and knowing the people out there, all you should have to do is walk up,dressed nicely, and be as polite as possible and you should be able to get permission.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 am

I usually don't have too much problem but part of that I feel is due to my age (58), grey hair, and a slight limp. Never thought old age would be a plus but most times the farmer is in his 70's so we can commiserate about our infimaries. Truthfully though there is no magic bullet you just have to go up and ask. I would suggest going WELL before the season starts and tell them you are just intersted in duck/goose only ie. you don't want to shoot their deer just fowl. Additionally I have a letter that tells all about me where to reach me, description of truck etc etc.. I also take each landowner a small ham as a thank you to let them know I appreciate it. Lastly if you intend on driving out into the fields you need to ask them at this time if it's ok because I can tell you the first time you rut up thier field is the last time you will be hunting there. Just use common courtesy and common sense and you should do ok. ........... :beer:
don novicki
hunter

Postby Coleman24 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 am

I hunt in a pretty heavily hunted area in pa, I don't have any personal property... Pretty much any property I hunt is private, and I am constantly knockin on doors asking permission. Be polite, that's the best advice I can give. I always offer to lend a hand around the farm from time to time, things like that to help them out..
Coleman24
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:41 pm

What they've said sums it up pretty good. Don't show up in camo, bs for a bit before jumping to the point unless they seem in a hurry, be very clear in how you intend to hunt the field so that there is no misunderstanding ie 5 guys hunting and will be driving the truck in to set decoys, etc., and I typically offer to bring them some nicely cleaned birds if they like ducks or geese. Do a quality job plucking (not breasting or filleting) a fat mallard or canada goose that isn't too shot up if they say they like them.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Politeness is key, but I think 95% of guys have their mind made up before you even approach them. Making small talk prior to asking seems to help. It's nice to find a common interest and run with it for a bit prior to asking permission. It is very important to state how many are hunting and your intentions as well if you even want the opportunity to come back as well. It's best to hit up guys prior to the season, but with waterfowl it can be hit and miss. We do a little knocking during the offseason, but most of it is done the day prior to hunting. You never know where the birds are going to be.
FowledReality
hunter

Postby tbossart » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Be respectful when you go ask...as in not at 5am or aroudn diner time., allthough it is tempting to ask then casu eyou can find them at home. Be polite and you should have no problems. When you do get on, if you wana get BACK on, leave the field as you found it, police up your shells, leave no garbage and if you dig any digging, which ou should ask about when asking permission really, fill it in. Close any gates obviously, and dont drive all over the flield if you can aovid it. I have found that if you spend some time gettingto know the land owners it pays huge dividens down the road. Expect totalk a while as a lot of the land owners will chat you up to get a feel for if you are an idiot or not...seriously, most of my long time hunting contacts tell me they do it all the time. Not sure in IL...but ND it is hardly a problem if you ask nicely...
tbossart
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:04 pm

There are many things that can help/hurt you! Most of the time I say that i will be targeting geese. Farmers hate geese and will readily let you shoot them, hell they might even beg you or tell you of other places that geese are. When it comes to saying " well i hunt on so and so's place" i try not to. You never know if there is bad blood between farmers over a dispute. ( cattle, leasing, stuff like that). ALWAYS leave the place better than you found it. Give them your information. Tell them that this is something that you are passionate about. It doesn't hurt that my dad is in the large animal vet business and i can easily get my hands on penicillin. That stuff is worth its weight in gold to people with cattle. If you develop a good relationship with a farmer it can be one of the best relationships when it comes to hunting.

All in all just be respectful and remember that manners go a long way.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby tilley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:33 am

So,offer to paint the barn,tell them you hate geese just like they do and break out a couple bottles of antibiotics if they hesitate.Do you tell them you stole it or that you made it yourself out of old bread? Sounds pretty foolproof.
tilley
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:05 am

tilley...that's kinda what I was thinking. "Here's some penicillin I got from my Dad to hand out." I don't know that that would make me want you on my land.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Most of the guys have covered it pretty well already so I'll just reiterate to be polite (sir and ma'am will get you a long way), always be honest about your intentions of what you want to hunt (i.e. don't tell them you want to hunt geese and then walk out with a game strap full of fat ole mallards, some land owners wont care about that but some really will. in fact I have one hunting spot where the other guy hunting it lost permission to hunt ducks and geese because he was shooting doves and the landowners liked having the doves around), how many hunting, how you plan to hunt. Look presentable don't show up in full camo or covered in grease, if you're asking well ahead of time in the off season perhaps ask if they would need help around the property (land clearing, work on fences, tree cutting... etc). I would also add that it doesn't hurt to have a little waiver typed up for you and the land owner to sign that says you have permission to hunt on their land and that they are free of any liability should yourself or any of your hunting party get hurt while on their property.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby stlwaterfowl » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Do you guys generally just knock on the farmers front door, or do you go about it another route?
stlwaterfowl
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Knocking is the only way to go.....IMO :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Put your hand out, Look him in the eye and say "my name is" then after he has made a decision one way or the other go to you truck and get him a bottle of booze. Works for me.... :grooving:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 am

A lot depends on the area and the community on how to portrait yourself, but we are both from the midwest so I think these tips should work for ya. Everything is appearance, timing, respect, and relating to the land owner. Age is nothing, as long as you portrait yourself as a mature individual (so no dumba$$ bumper stickers and decals on the vehicle either). Just put some casual clothes on that are clean, and a baseball cap will work.

So far the only times I've been turned down is because the land was leased or someone else (like family) has permission, "knock on wood." Part of that helps because I was born and raised in this area. Even though I don't know the land owner, I may know someone that lives down the road and so forth. That's why I always go to the house, state my full name, mention something (like name drop, or ask him if he knows so and so, then BS about it), and then state my intentions. Don't BS for much longer then a minute before you get your answer. You could end up running your mouth too long and get in to some bad territory.

The biggest thing is if you get a yes, regardless if you hunt or not, stop by within a week or right after a hunt and give an offering. I have about half dozen $25 Farm and Fleet gift cards in my center council for that reason. It doesn't have to be much, but something they will use and appreciate. I usually hand it to them in an envelope with a little note stating how much this means to you and what a passion the sport is to you. They can relate to that in some way. This will give you an easy in next year when you go back and say "Hey, do you remember me.... can I hunt again this year?"

Timing is everything too. Even if you aren't going to go out, the time to ask is during late season in the midwest. If you have a waterfowl season that extends past the deer season, you are golden! Midwesterners hold their whitetail hunting sacred. They don't want anything that will potentially ruin that hunt. After deer season, scout, hunt or whatever, but if you find a piece you would like to hunt, ask! you will have a lot of success. This is big because the next year you can go back earlier and do the "remember me" bit and you will have a better chance to get on there, now that they know you are not causing any trouble or harm to their deer hunting.

The most important thing is to respect the land!
muskyduck
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm

I make homeade wine...so that's my go to gift if they let me hunt. It's readily available to me, and who doesn't like a bottle of wine around Xmas time? Same thing, getting an Xmas card from your family goes a long way in building rapport and making you a person, not just another hunter looking to scrounge off of their land.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Dress nice. But not like a tux or anything. Jeans, boots, clean looking hoodie or shirt. Don't look like a scrub. Introduce yourself. Tell them your name and where you live. And just ask. Be yourself. I usually ask them if they would like to join us on the hunt if they give us permission.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 am

Im a farmer and obvious ally don't give permission because I hunt. The one thing u don't wanna do is sit their and talk to them about crops like u know what ur talking about just cut to the chase and tell them your responsible and stuff. Just say for ducks and geese and no deer.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby scastle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 pm

beg and cry alot :lol3: :lol3:
scastle
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 am

I believe that asking permission is truly an art.
xtrema13
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 am

Agreed some people, my brother, just cant get permission. Takes skill.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 am

I have a friend who has asked atleast 20 diff farmers. And has got denied everytime. But I usually have a 90% chance of them saying yes.

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby BEDB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Coleman24 wrote:I hunt in a pretty heavily hunted area in pa, I don't have any personal property... Pretty much any property I hunt is private, and I am constantly knockin on doors asking permission. Be polite, that's the best advice I can give. I always offer to lend a hand around the farm from time to time, things like that to help them out..

Do you know Lebanaon Levi from Lancaster, PA?!
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 am

I like to give them a business card with my picture, contact info and even my license number. I like to think it helps show you have accountability for your actions. They know they have a method of contacting you if there is a problem
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby erp10 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

If its a neighbors farm from where you have permission I like to let them know. Something like..
I was just down at so and so farm where I hunt and though I would stop and ask you for permission. Sometimes you will get..."well if so and so lets you hunt you must be an OK Guy so you can hunt here too".
erp10
hunter

Next

Return to Field Duck Hunting