Getting permission from landowners...

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Re: Getting permission from landowners...

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:47 am

^^^^^^Yes^^^^^^ Works about every time!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby duckmaster55 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Whenver I ask permission to hunt on a place such as a lake cottage, I make sure I ask even up to six months prior to the season opening. When it gets close to season, you want to make sure you have the spot in the bag before another hunter gets that spot before you do. If your hunting for geese in a corn or wheatfield, usually it doesn't take much to ask the farmer for permission since they usually despise the bird that tears up their fields. Lastly, one thing that might help is asking the landowner if they would like to have some of the meat that you have shot. I have done this numerous times with the Omish who's fields we hunt. Make sure however, that you read the person, lets say if they dont hunt or really like the harvesting of animals but don't mind it, you may not want to ask them this. If they are a diehard hunter and you think that asking would be a good idea, well than asking this would help you in getting permission and keeping it in the long run. Also mention that you will pick up anything you drop (shells, feathers, wads, etc) and you will treat the spot with care. :thumbsup:
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country"-George S. Patton
duckmaster55
hunter

Postby GIjake » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:22 pm

I live in town and the areas I hunt are a good distance from town. So I offer to pick up anything they need in town before I hunt that next day. 99% of the time the landowners have never asked for anything. I made a run to Autozone once and that was for some parts for his wife's car. No big problem for me, huge help for him. I shot ducks the next day so we all won.
GIjake
hunter

Postby micneador » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:40 pm

If they mention that they hunt as well, invite them. 90% of the time they jump all over it.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 pm

erp10 wrote:If its a neighbors farm from where you have permission I like to let them know. Something like..
I was just down at so and so farm where I hunt and though I would stop and ask you for permission. Sometimes you will get..."well if so and so lets you hunt you must be an OK Guy so you can hunt here too".

Unless the farmers don't like each other......

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:24 am

I am one of those that just doesn't have the touch to get permission as I have an extremely low success rate. I only have one farm after dozens of doors I have hit. I don't think it helps that I'm 20. I have developed a decent relationship with some of my buddies farms and we don't have any problem being invited back every year as we usually take throughout the year 12 or so bags of walleye to them, that and we keep there fields spotless.

I live in a pretty populated area so farmers get hit pretty hard by other guys. I run into a large amount of ground that guys have locked up and the farmer will to let anyone else on his ground.

With that said the farms that are out of the way That I have tried to gain access from state that they are concerned about liability. Our state has premade permission slips that we must have signed, they state that the farmer isn't held liable for anything....but still I can't get past it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 am

Save all the gas money u spent knocking on doors and lease a pond for the season?

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 am

Bad part is most years I think it would ice early.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Sodbusterbrown » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm

As a farmer the best advise I can give you is don't bother me during harvest season about hunting. To many other things going on that time of the year. One thing I would ask the land owner is if there will be anyone else hunting this land and if so give the land owner your info and ask him for the other peoples info. That way you are not both hunting on top of each other. To me that just shows responsibility and good sense.
Sodbusterbrown
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Sodbusterbrown wrote:As a farmer the best advise I can give you is don't bother me during harvest season about hunting. To many other things going on that time of the year.

There lies a problem...how do you chase the X in the fall if you can't talk with land owners to get permission?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:33 am

Have gotten permission many times.
WRITTEN permission is a bit tougher.

Has actually went from "yes" to "nope" when I asked for a signature on a permission slip.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Previous

Return to Field Duck Hunting