Fields

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Fields

Postby ducks'n'bucks91 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 pm

What the best way to find fields that duck use? Do you just find where they roost and follow them to the fields, the thing is in michigan I dont see many ducks go to fields, I've always wanted to do a field just never really looked for field mallards, is it the same as scouting for geese?
302 ducks this season off my farm, not bad for michigan.
ducks'n'bucks91
hunter

Re: Fields

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Yep, pretty much like scouting honkers in the field. Ducks are susceptible to traffic spreads too. If you scout them at night and hunt them in the morning and they don't show up, stay in the field. Good chance they are either hitting 2 fields a day or only feeding during afternoons, especially if the roost has a lot of food.
tornadochaser
hunter

Re: Fields

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 am

Scouting ducks can be a bit tough at times. Often they will leave the roost in the mornig before it is light enough to see them fly, at least from any distance and in the evenings sometimes they don't give you more than about 1/2 hr to figure out where they are coming from or where they are going. I have rarely had a day where ducks didn't at least buzz our goose decoys so find geese and you'll find ducks.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting