Homemade Field Decoys

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Homemade Field Decoys

Postby luie b » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:33 pm

I've used my water decoys in the field by just digging a place for the keel in the ground with my boot but I've noticed these can't be seen from that far of a distance. What I was thinking about doing is just buy some cheap Tanglefree decoys or something, then cut off the keel and drill a hole in the bottom and stake them into the ground about 6 in. or so off the ground. Any other ideas for cheap field decoys because full bodies and other actual field duck decoys are going to be too pricey to me.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Re: Homemade Field Decoys

Postby Wulffhunter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:41 pm

I took some GHG hot buy decoys, and I cut the keel off and the bottom of the decoy and drilled a hole at the top of the where I could balance them with my finger. I didn't stake them out ever, I just set them on shorelines and in the fields and they worked pretty good for me. I'm thinking about buying a pile of older decoys to do that with so I could have a huge field spread of field mallards.
Wulffhunter
Newb

Postby Bob Caygeon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 am

Use a "mineral clip" on a piece of "all thread". Mineral clip or mini is a clip used to hold emt conduit. It cheap easy and works. You can probably find them at home depot or lowes. No need to cut the keels off then.google conduit hanger
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Here is some i made for next year with a few ghg leakers.
Attachments
mail.jpeg
mail.jpeg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 7216 times
mail-1.jpeg
mail-1.jpeg (3.83 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
mail-2.jpeg
mail-2.jpeg (3.69 KiB) Viewed 7217 times
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby Teddy Sherwood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:55 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:Here is some i made for next year with a few ghg leakers.

What did you use to make the feet?
Teddy Sherwood
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Orange marker caps :yes: :yes: :yes: with a hole drilled through them...and para cord off of old back packs.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby randy marci » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm

luie b wrote:I've used my water decoys in the field by just digging a place for the keel in the ground with my boot but I've noticed these can't be seen from that far of a distance. What I was thinking about doing is just buy some cheap Tanglefree decoys or something, then cut off the keel and drill a hole in the bottom and stake them into the ground about 6 in. or so off the ground. Any other ideas for cheap field decoys because full bodies and other actual field duck decoys are going to be too pricey to me.

how much is too expensive for you? these may fit your budget.

this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

i cant find they any more but last year i saw some orange feet that you slide onto the keel of the decoy and put a stake through the feet to hold it up. it was a cool looking idea and i think the feet were less than 4 bucks a piece.

http://www.gotduckfeet.com/
krazybronco2
hunter

Homemade Field Decoys

Postby Coleman24 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 am

^^ those feet are nice. If you go the route of cutting the keel orange wire works also..
Coleman24
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:18 am

Here's a couple of pics of keeled water decoys that I made a stand for out of a piece of steel rod (formally a politcal sign stand) that I bent to accept the keel. Works quite well for keeled decoys. The legs are pneumatic hose with a hole at the base that has been slid over the wire on each side.

This next picture is of one of the several dozen keeled decoys that I cut the bottom off and made into field decoys. The legs are out of pneumatic hose with elastic shock cord holding them to the bottom. A couple of pieces of shishkabob skewers are inserted into the hose to keep them rigid and still allow for folding back against the body for bagging. The stand is made out of the same type steel rods (political signs), bent into a u shape and a short piece welded at the u to insert into the appropriately placed hole drilled thru the top of the decoy for proper balancing. The rectangular slot keeps the duck from rotating around too far in the wind.

Here are the two albums on photbucket of complete pics:
http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/tenfingergrip/Field%20Mallards%20Custom%20Made/
http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx301/tenfingergrip/Floater%20to%20Field%20decoy%20stands/
bent rod.jpg
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby anatidaephobic » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Randy, those silhouettes look pretty good. Did you make them yourself or did you buy em?
anatidaephobic
hunter

Postby randy marci » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:34 pm

anatidaephobic wrote:Randy, those silhouettes look pretty good. Did you make them yourself or did you buy em?

thanks. I made them. alot of trial and error have gone into these and other silos i have done. they will be for sale to the masses starting this summer. :wink:
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm

randy marci wrote:
anatidaephobic wrote:Randy, those silhouettes look pretty good. Did you make them yourself or did you buy em?

thanks. I made them. alot of trial and error have gone into these and other silos i have done. they will be for sale to the masses starting this summer. :wink:

keep us posted. i'll be the first to buy because i saw the word "budget" :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:57 pm

found it
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:13 am

Makes for inexpensive field decoys vs. the $120 to $180 per dozen for the standard ones.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:24 am

I just took some lambeau floater , drillled a hole thru the beak and used I ft spikes at $.75 and staked them to the ground...quick easy and cheap.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting