Need advice guys

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Need advice guys

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:12 pm

So ill be driving from maryland to north dakota this upcoming year to do some freelance field duck hunting. Im starting to gear up now im about to purchase mallard field dekes and im wondering should I go with shells or fullbodies they will be set along with a 4-5 dozen canada spread. I like the fullbodies just because I feel like they will work better in other aplications like shallow water ponds back home. Thanks in advance guys
mdfowlman
hunter

Need advice guys

Postby Coleman24 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 am

I would use full bodies.. I jus like the looks of them, and ya don't need a whole lot of field mallards along with your geese, so I'd get some full bodies.
Coleman24
hunter

Re: Need advice guys

Postby alloutwar13 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:44 am

I think the 5/8ths shells are just as realistic as the fullbodies.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
alloutwar13
hunter

Need advice guys

Postby Coleman24 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 am

It also really depends what you want to spend..
Coleman24
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Don't waste your money. I bought a half dozen fullbodies at the beginning, and I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money and just got the shells to begin with. I have 3 dozen shells now and they take up less space then the 6 fullbodies, easier to carry and have absolutely no difference when it comes to realism in the field. I use my shells 90% of the time over water 1'-3', and the other 10% is in the fields for my anual trip to ND. They are awesome in a water spread! I use them more then floaters! I still use sleeper fullbodies, because they do not make sleeper shells. I only us GHG, so I'm only speaking in regards their products. G&H or other manufacturers may not have the same realism in their shells compared to fullbodies, I'm not sure.
TIP...I've only found GHG Harvester shells at Macks PW. Cabelas and others (notsure about Roger's) sell by the dozen, meaning you have to by a dozen active and then a dozen feeder. At Macks, you can get a dozen with 6 active and 6 feeder. If you plan on buying more then a dozen, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

Full body ducks are great, but the realism in the shell is no different, plus the shells are cheaper, store easier and take up less space, easier to pack and carry in, and no need to purchase slotted bags for them.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Ok, so shells are the way to go I was only concerned with the due to the reflection on the water will be the solid color of the inside of the shell
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:31 pm

If the ducks get low enough to see inside the shell you should be shootin! I would recommend not even getting duck decoys and either getting more goose decoys or a bunch of mojo's. In fields birds absolutely bomb in on them. We would use 6 or more when I hunted in South Dakota during college.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting